Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Old 07-19-16, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 466 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Holy fuck that's depressing.
Old 07-19-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

Why I'm glad I didn't get married:
Old 07-19-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Why I'm glad I didn't get married:

Fixed.
Old 07-19-16, 09:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 353 Likes on 243 Posts

^
Old 07-19-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Old 07-19-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

Hey, at least she'd be telling me exactly how to do it! But that's about ALL she'd want me to do!
Old 07-19-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Other than the fact that they look like a mother-son combo ... Looks worth it. Assuming sex on the couch isn't too dirty for her.
Old 01-21-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Update: I'm done!

If you've followed this thread, or some of my others, my ex left in spring of 2014. The reasons were varied, but they boil down to "she was unhappy with her life." So she moved out -- ostensibly to figure out who she wanted to be and whether she could be that person and still be married to me. In hindsight, I think it was really just a test run for her new guy, with me as an escape hatch if things didn't work out. She strung me along for a few months, and in July 2014 we filed.

Anyway, they did work out for her and her guy. But she was getting alimony and she dragged things out. Then, once I figured out she was living with her guy, I started trying to get documentation of her living arrangements (no alimony if you're living with another dude), and she stonewalled. That went on for an insanely long time, until finally in fall of 2016, we started talking about settlement. Long story short, she agreed to a significantly reduced alimony for a very short period of time and I agreed to stop pushing for information about her boyfriend.

The punchline of the story is that we signed the settlement agreement right before Thanksgiving and her boyfriend dropped dead two weeks later! Mid 40s and he had a stroke and died! I don't necessarily believe in karma, and on one level I feel bad for her, but I can't help but laugh.

Anyway, we went in front of the judge in December and got our order entered; it's been just over 30 days, so neither of us can now appeal. So it's official! I am no longer married!

(I also started dating about six or eight months after we separated, so I've been happily in a relationship for about two years, but that's a whole 'another story).

Anyway, to any of you (man or woman) going through a divorce, my advice to you is this: you will be OK. Let go of your ex, let go of your anger, resentment, hatred, whatever, and just move on with your life. If they left you, if you left them, either way -- leave them in the rear view and build a good life for yourself going forward.
Old 01-21-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

You're not EddieMoney...
Old 01-21-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Music View Post
You're not EddieMoney...
Or is he?

Old 01-21-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

Good for you finally being unburdened of that noisome ballast, Jason. She has reaped what she sowed.
Old 01-21-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The punchline of the story is that we signed the settlement agreement right before Thanksgiving and her boyfriend dropped dead two weeks later! Mid 40s and he had a stroke and died! I don't necessarily believe in karma, and on one level I feel bad for her, but I can't help but laugh.
Not to minimize anyone's grief or loss, but

JasonF upon hearing that news :

Spoiler:

Old 01-21-17, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Not to minimize anyone's grief or loss, but

JasonF upon hearing that news :

Spoiler:

Pretty much! Actually, my big fear was that she'd try to back out of our settlement agreement, so I've kind of been holding my breath until the appeals period ran.
Old 01-21-17, 05:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 145 Posts

that was quite the M. Night twist! Yay for uncontrolled hypertension!
Old 01-21-17, 07:32 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 312 Likes on 190 Posts

Way to go, JasonF!
Old 01-21-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 449 Posts

Un-be-lievable! Glad that chapter of your life is done, and hate to say 'sucks to be your ex', but, well ...
Old 01-21-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats Jason! I still find your story unusually strange for someone with no kids, but then the legal system is messed up.
Old 01-22-17, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear Jason. You're thoughts about just letting go and moving on are very important. Don't let the other person bring you down emotionally or financially. Build a new life and be happy.
Old 01-22-17, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Update: I'm done!

If you've followed this thread, or some of my others, my ex left in spring of 2014. The reasons were varied, but they boil down to "she was unhappy with her life." So she moved out -- ostensibly to figure out who she wanted to be and whether she could be that person and still be married to me. In hindsight, I think it was really just a test run for her new guy, with me as an escape hatch if things didn't work out. She strung me along for a few months, and in July 2014 we filed.

Anyway, they did work out for her and her guy. But she was getting alimony and she dragged things out. Then, once I figured out she was living with her guy, I started trying to get documentation of her living arrangements (no alimony if you're living with another dude), and she stonewalled. That went on for an insanely long time, until finally in fall of 2016, we started talking about settlement. Long story short, she agreed to a significantly reduced alimony for a very short period of time and I agreed to stop pushing for information about her boyfriend.

Anyway, we went in front of the judge in December and got our order entered; it's been just over 30 days, so neither of us can now appeal. So it's official! I am no longer married!

(I also started dating about six or eight months after we separated, so I've been happily in a relationship for about two years, but that's a whole 'another story).

Anyway, to any of you (man or woman) going through a divorce, my advice to you is this: you will be OK. Let go of your ex, let go of your anger, resentment, hatred, whatever, and just move on with your life. If they left you, if you left them, either way -- leave them in the rear view and build a good life for yourself going forward.
What state are you in?
Old 01-22-17, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A state of great relief (now).
Old 01-22-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
What state are you in?
If his location is correct, it says Washington D.C.
Old 01-22-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 459 Likes on 381 Posts

Congrats, JasonF!

Weird Game of Thrones twist there, but I was afraid you were going to say you had taken her back, so I'm glad THAT didn't happen.
Old 01-22-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

This has always fascinated me. What keeps one relationship from taking the same direction as a previous relationship? I see so many people do that. They end one relationship and then end up in a very similar relationship with very similar people.

I know we can always gather around the one-sided interpretations posted here. That bitch! But ending a relationship isn't a one-sided thing. So I stay skeptical of (and maybe learn from) everything I read in this thread. From the other person's perspective, you guys might be terrible people.
Old 01-22-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Congrats Jason! I still find your story unusually strange for someone with no kids, but then the legal system is messed up.
Yeah, it was incredibly frustrating. Like you say, we had no kids, and our assets aren't even particularly complex (bank accounts, 401(k)s, and the like -- the most complex thing we had to divide was the equity in our condo).

Early on, she was delaying because I was looking for a job and if we had just divorced then, she would not have gotten any alimony because I was unemployed. Then once I got a job, we started moving forward. Then I found out about the boyfriend and I started digging in to trying to get the evidence for that, which took time. And then she stonewalled and the judge let her because judges are busy and don't care about discovery disputes. The disputes need to be incredibly egregious before a judge will actually put his or her foot down; instead, they keep telling you "go away, work it out, and come back in six or eight weeks to give me a status update." You have to repeat that two or three times before the stonewalling party will actually feel consequences.

So yeah, it took way too long but if the two parties aren't in agreement and there's any factual issues (in my case, whether she was cohabitating with a boyfriend), it's pretty usual for things to get dragged out like this.
Old 01-22-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
What state are you in?
We filed in Illinois (Cook County, aka Chicago) since that's where we lived when we split. She moved away when she left and I moved about a year later when I got a new job. Which actually confused our judge -- he almost threw the case out at the end since neither of us lived in Illinois any more and he thought he didn't have jurisdiction, but my lawyer showed him the statute and pointed out that since I was an Illinois resident at the time of filing, he had jurisdiction.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.