Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Old 07-19-16, 12:05 AM
  #2526  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 17,299
Received 661 Likes on 466 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Holy fuck that's depressing.
Old 07-19-16, 12:44 AM
  #2527  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 9,668
Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Why I'm glad I didn't get married:
Old 07-19-16, 09:08 AM
  #2528  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,758
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Why I'm glad I didn't get married:

Fixed.
Old 07-19-16, 09:30 AM
  #2529  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,160
Received 353 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

^
Old 07-19-16, 09:38 AM
  #2530  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,343
Likes: 0
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Old 07-19-16, 10:56 AM
  #2531  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 9,668
Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Hey, at least she'd be telling me exactly how to do it! But that's about ALL she'd want me to do!
Old 07-19-16, 05:27 PM
  #2532  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,267
Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Other than the fact that they look like a mother-son combo ... Looks worth it. Assuming sex on the couch isn't too dirty for her.
Old 01-21-17, 03:51 PM
  #2533  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 42,188
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Update: I'm done!

If you've followed this thread, or some of my others, my ex left in spring of 2014. The reasons were varied, but they boil down to "she was unhappy with her life." So she moved out -- ostensibly to figure out who she wanted to be and whether she could be that person and still be married to me. In hindsight, I think it was really just a test run for her new guy, with me as an escape hatch if things didn't work out. She strung me along for a few months, and in July 2014 we filed.

Anyway, they did work out for her and her guy. But she was getting alimony and she dragged things out. Then, once I figured out she was living with her guy, I started trying to get documentation of her living arrangements (no alimony if you're living with another dude), and she stonewalled. That went on for an insanely long time, until finally in fall of 2016, we started talking about settlement. Long story short, she agreed to a significantly reduced alimony for a very short period of time and I agreed to stop pushing for information about her boyfriend.

The punchline of the story is that we signed the settlement agreement right before Thanksgiving and her boyfriend dropped dead two weeks later! Mid 40s and he had a stroke and died! I don't necessarily believe in karma, and on one level I feel bad for her, but I can't help but laugh.

Anyway, we went in front of the judge in December and got our order entered; it's been just over 30 days, so neither of us can now appeal. So it's official! I am no longer married!

(I also started dating about six or eight months after we separated, so I've been happily in a relationship for about two years, but that's a whole 'another story).

Anyway, to any of you (man or woman) going through a divorce, my advice to you is this: you will be OK. Let go of your ex, let go of your anger, resentment, hatred, whatever, and just move on with your life. If they left you, if you left them, either way -- leave them in the rear view and build a good life for yourself going forward.
Old 01-21-17, 03:55 PM
  #2534  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manch Vegas, NH
Posts: 8,589
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

You're not EddieMoney...
Old 01-21-17, 04:00 PM
  #2535  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,897
Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Originally Posted by Music View Post
You're not EddieMoney...
Or is he?

Old 01-21-17, 04:06 PM
  #2536  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 19,100
Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Good for you finally being unburdened of that noisome ballast, Jason. She has reaped what she sowed.
Old 01-21-17, 04:45 PM
  #2537  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The punchline of the story is that we signed the settlement agreement right before Thanksgiving and her boyfriend dropped dead two weeks later! Mid 40s and he had a stroke and died! I don't necessarily believe in karma, and on one level I feel bad for her, but I can't help but laugh.
Not to minimize anyone's grief or loss, but

JasonF upon hearing that news :

Spoiler:

Old 01-21-17, 05:04 PM
  #2538  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 42,188
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Not to minimize anyone's grief or loss, but

JasonF upon hearing that news :

Spoiler:

Pretty much! Actually, my big fear was that she'd try to back out of our settlement agreement, so I've kind of been holding my breath until the appeals period ran.
Old 01-21-17, 05:27 PM
  #2539  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,500
Received 221 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

that was quite the M. Night twist! Yay for uncontrolled hypertension!
Old 01-21-17, 07:32 PM
  #2540  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 35,415
Received 312 Likes on 190 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Way to go, JasonF!
Old 01-21-17, 07:55 PM
  #2541  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,025
Received 658 Likes on 449 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Un-be-lievable! Glad that chapter of your life is done, and hate to say 'sucks to be your ex', but, well ...
Old 01-21-17, 08:27 PM
  #2542  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,267
Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Congrats Jason! I still find your story unusually strange for someone with no kids, but then the legal system is messed up.
Old 01-22-17, 06:24 AM
  #2543  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,535
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Good to hear Jason. You're thoughts about just letting go and moving on are very important. Don't let the other person bring you down emotionally or financially. Build a new life and be happy.
Old 01-22-17, 07:43 AM
  #2544  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 33,154
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Update: I'm done!

If you've followed this thread, or some of my others, my ex left in spring of 2014. The reasons were varied, but they boil down to "she was unhappy with her life." So she moved out -- ostensibly to figure out who she wanted to be and whether she could be that person and still be married to me. In hindsight, I think it was really just a test run for her new guy, with me as an escape hatch if things didn't work out. She strung me along for a few months, and in July 2014 we filed.

Anyway, they did work out for her and her guy. But she was getting alimony and she dragged things out. Then, once I figured out she was living with her guy, I started trying to get documentation of her living arrangements (no alimony if you're living with another dude), and she stonewalled. That went on for an insanely long time, until finally in fall of 2016, we started talking about settlement. Long story short, she agreed to a significantly reduced alimony for a very short period of time and I agreed to stop pushing for information about her boyfriend.

The punchline of the story is that we signed the settlement agreement right before Thanksgiving and her boyfriend dropped dead two weeks later! Mid 40s and he had a stroke and died! I don't necessarily believe in karma, and on one level I feel bad for her, but I can't help but laugh.

Anyway, we went in front of the judge in December and got our order entered; it's been just over 30 days, so neither of us can now appeal. So it's official! I am no longer married!

(I also started dating about six or eight months after we separated, so I've been happily in a relationship for about two years, but that's a whole 'another story).

Anyway, to any of you (man or woman) going through a divorce, my advice to you is this: you will be OK. Let go of your ex, let go of your anger, resentment, hatred, whatever, and just move on with your life. If they left you, if you left them, either way -- leave them in the rear view and build a good life for yourself going forward.
What state are you in?
Old 01-22-17, 07:52 AM
  #2545  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,267
Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

A state of great relief (now).
Old 01-22-17, 08:23 AM
  #2546  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 36,780
Received 601 Likes on 433 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
What state are you in?
If his location is correct, it says Washington D.C.
Old 01-22-17, 09:43 AM
  #2547  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,722
Received 459 Likes on 381 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Congrats, JasonF!

Weird Game of Thrones twist there, but I was afraid you were going to say you had taken her back, so I'm glad THAT didn't happen.
Old 01-22-17, 09:55 AM
  #2548  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 24,027
Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
(I also started dating about six or eight months after we separated, so I've been happily in a relationship for about two years, but that's a whole 'another story).
This has always fascinated me. What keeps one relationship from taking the same direction as a previous relationship? I see so many people do that. They end one relationship and then end up in a very similar relationship with very similar people.

I know we can always gather around the one-sided interpretations posted here. That bitch! But ending a relationship isn't a one-sided thing. So I stay skeptical of (and maybe learn from) everything I read in this thread. From the other person's perspective, you guys might be terrible people.
Old 01-22-17, 11:19 AM
  #2549  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 42,188
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Congrats Jason! I still find your story unusually strange for someone with no kids, but then the legal system is messed up.
Yeah, it was incredibly frustrating. Like you say, we had no kids, and our assets aren't even particularly complex (bank accounts, 401(k)s, and the like -- the most complex thing we had to divide was the equity in our condo).

Early on, she was delaying because I was looking for a job and if we had just divorced then, she would not have gotten any alimony because I was unemployed. Then once I got a job, we started moving forward. Then I found out about the boyfriend and I started digging in to trying to get the evidence for that, which took time. And then she stonewalled and the judge let her because judges are busy and don't care about discovery disputes. The disputes need to be incredibly egregious before a judge will actually put his or her foot down; instead, they keep telling you "go away, work it out, and come back in six or eight weeks to give me a status update." You have to repeat that two or three times before the stonewalling party will actually feel consequences.

So yeah, it took way too long but if the two parties aren't in agreement and there's any factual issues (in my case, whether she was cohabitating with a boyfriend), it's pretty usual for things to get dragged out like this.
Old 01-22-17, 11:23 AM
  #2550  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 42,188
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Pretty sure wife wants to leave... (and she's gone)

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
What state are you in?
We filed in Illinois (Cook County, aka Chicago) since that's where we lived when we split. She moved away when she left and I moved about a year later when I got a new job. Which actually confused our judge -- he almost threw the case out at the end since neither of us lived in Illinois any more and he thought he didn't have jurisdiction, but my lawyer showed him the statute and pointed out that since I was an Illinois resident at the time of filing, he had jurisdiction.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.