Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Summer 2015 -- Any vacations planned? Where are you going?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Summer 2015 -- Any vacations planned? Where are you going?

Old 03-13-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeeden View Post
Sweet. Our trip to DW is planned for the last week of June. Staying at the Yacht Club instead of our usual Wilderness Lodge. I wrote a book on Disney tips not too long ago (I've been many times), some have joked I need to write off the trip as an expensive on Volume II of the book...I don't think that would fly though.... Edit: Shameless plug for book on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/D-D-Approved-Disney-2014-ebook/dp/B00MEZXY70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426088605&sr=8-1&keywords=dad+approved+disney

Staying at Beach Club at the end of June! So excited for the pool. Eating at Yachtsman Steakhouse, Jiko, Via Napoli, and 50s Prime
Time. Seeing Cirque du Soleil for the 2nd time.

I am going to buy your book.
Old 03-16-15, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Summer 2015 -- Any vacations planned? Where are you going?

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Staying at Beach Club at the end of June! So excited for the pool. Eating at Yachtsman Steakhouse, Jiko, Via Napoli, and 50s Prime
Time. Seeing Cirque du Soleil for the 2nd time.

I am going to buy your book.
haha, thanks.

We travel to lots of other places, but DW is one of the places we go and really forget the rest of the world. We don't pay attention to work, news, etc while there and the stress seems to melt away pretty quickly.

I could sure go for some Yachtsman Steakhouse Cheddar biscuits right now...

Edit: If you do get the book, I'd appreciate a review on there. Quite a few people have bought it, but no reviews

Last edited by Jeeden; 03-16-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-16-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought your ebook.

We got to Disney every other year or so, but it all seems different now with Fastpass+. We'll probably go more often from now on since we're new DVC owners. We bought Boardwalk last year and used it to stay at the Grand Californian. Loved it there so much that we ended up buying a GC contract and a Saratoga Springs one as well, just to have more points. I get a lot of ribbing from my extended family (Why are you going again? Don't you get bored after a couple of days? Timeshares hahahahaha), but we love going to Disneyland and WDW.
Old 03-17-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm doing a week at an All Inclusive Resort in August: Iberostar Grand at Paraiso Lindo (in the Mayan Riviera) in Mexico. First time going there although friends and family have been there already and it's highly recommended. I haven't decided what I want to do with the remaining weeks yet.
Old 03-17-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Bought your ebook.

We got to Disney every other year or so, but it all seems different now with Fastpass+. We'll probably go more often from now on since we're new DVC owners. We bought Boardwalk last year and used it to stay at the Grand Californian. Loved it there so much that we ended up buying a GC contract and a Saratoga Springs one as well, just to have more points. I get a lot of ribbing from my extended family (Why are you going again? Don't you get bored after a couple of days? Timeshares hahahahaha), but we love going to Disneyland and WDW.
Thanks! Please review it on Amazon if you have the time, I've sold 8 copies so far (JK Rowling...you have a problem coming)

I have been so tempted by DVC for so many years. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on it. Every time we go (at least every 3 years) I look at it very hard. I'd be interested to hear details on how you like it, etc.
Old 03-17-15, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I'm doing a week at an All Inclusive Resort in August: Iberostar Grand at Paraiso Lindo (in the Mayan Riviera) in Mexico. First time going there although friends and family have been there already and it's highly recommended. I haven't decided what I want to do with the remaining weeks yet.
I was at the Iberostar last year in May. Had a good time. Be aware it is really big. It is actually something like 3 resorts next to each other. We stayed at the 2nd highest grade (their top grade is adults only). The more expensive resorts can use their own facilities or those of the less-expensive facilities. The wristband you wear indicates which resort you're staying at. I frequently saw people get turned away from one of the restaurants because they were staying at the less-expensive resort.

My son, who was 4 at the time, really liked the wave pool. The beach was way too rough to swim. There were red flags flying on the beach every day we were there. The path from our resort to the beach was a bridge over swamp. There were also many coati (similar to raccoons) on the path and beach looking for handouts from tourists.
Old 03-17-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Going to Rome, Florence, Madrid, Barcelona, Granada, and Istanbul.
I'm going to love it. I want to use AirBnB too, but never have done that before. Any members proponents of that service?
Old 03-17-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Neitzl View Post
I'm going to love it. I want to use AirBnB too, but never have done that before. Any members proponents of that service?
Now that's a kick ass trip you have planned there. I did a similar one but without Istanbul 3 years ago.

As for me, nothing solid. I have a photography business, so I'm pondering England, then shoot a ton of photographs and post some for sale. Then I can write the trip off.
Old 03-18-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am going to go to Wisconsin near the Great Lakes in June for my sister's wedding. It will be for 4 or 5 days depending on work and what's the cheapest day to fly home.
Old 03-18-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used it twice for a euro trip last fall, very satisfied with airbnb. Both we well reviewed rental only units though. I'm planning on using it again.
Old 03-18-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have used AirBnB in Sydney, Lisbon, and Istanbul. It's been great each time.
Old 03-18-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I was at the Iberostar last year in May. Had a good time. Be aware it is really big. It is actually something like 3 resorts next to each other. We stayed at the 2nd highest grade (their top grade is adults only). The more expensive resorts can use their own facilities or those of the less-expensive facilities. The wristband you wear indicates which resort you're staying at. I frequently saw people get turned away from one of the restaurants because they were staying at the less-expensive resort.

My son, who was 4 at the time, really liked the wave pool. The beach was way too rough to swim. There were red flags flying on the beach every day we were there. The path from our resort to the beach was a bridge over swamp. There were also many coati (similar to raccoons) on the path and beach looking for handouts from tourists.
Thanks for the tips. I'm staying at the Adults Only which will allow me to use the other facilities.
Old 03-18-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AirBnB tips would be to really read through the reviews, don't go too cheap, and pay for location if you can. The place we got in Istanbul was better than any hotel from a location perspective: there weren't even any hotels in the same area.
Old 03-18-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Stupid question. I'm driving through Utah in a few weeks and have read that there is a stretch of toll roads that go through it on the 15 FWY before reaching SLC. I don't have a transponder or anything but are there non-toll lanes on that stretch, too? Is it like it is here in L.A. on the 110 FWY?
Old 03-18-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeeden View Post
Thanks! Please review it on Amazon if you have the time, I've sold 8 copies so far (JK Rowling...you have a problem coming)

I have been so tempted by DVC for so many years. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on it. Every time we go (at least every 3 years) I look at it very hard. I'd be interested to hear details on how you like it, etc.
I am the same way... Maybe because I rarely do a long stay, usually extended weekends but I don't get the cost benefit analysis. Ive read numerous reasons but it still doesn't really compute. Also I am a family of 3 so I don't need 1-2 bedrooms.
Old 03-18-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds like such an awesome trip!

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
I am the same way... Maybe because I rarely do a long stay, usually extended weekends but I don't get the cost benefit analysis. Ive read numerous reasons but it still doesn't really compute. Also I am a family of 3 so I don't need 1-2 bedrooms.
I think it only works for people who buy resale and will use or rent all of their points every single year, never letting a point go to waste. We're only 3 as well, but we get a 2BR--we're all adults and everyone wants their own bed. We also need at least 2 bathrooms or mornings will be ugly.

We have small contracts at Grand Californian and Boardwalk Villas in order to be able to get some high demand rooms/times, but the bulk are at Saratoga Springs. Those points were pretty cheap comparatively, and I can use them anywhere if there's availability at 7 months. We're using them at Bay Lake Towers this summer, which had a much more expensive buy in.

One thing about the annual maintenance fees is that there is currently a strong rental market. I know if I won't use my points, I can rent them out for just under triple my annual fees. The rental would cover the fees, buy in, and a little extra for that year as well, so I wouldn't be out any money. All of that could change with the economy, though, so I think it would be a mistake to buy points with a solely financial outlook. I never viewed this as a money saver, but as prepayment and access to some pretty expensive hotel suites that are difficult or impossible to book for cash.

Last edited by tasha99; 03-18-15 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Stupid question. I'm driving through Utah in a few weeks and have read that there is a stretch of toll roads that go through it on the 15 FWY before reaching SLC. I don't have a transponder or anything but are there non-toll lanes on that stretch, too? Is it like it is here in L.A. on the 110 FWY?

As far as I remember there are no tolls on I-15 I worked on that road just south of salt lake. Its been 2 years since ive lived there but you should be good.
Old 03-19-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My 2014 June trip was my first major one...so I went into it a bit inexperienced at long road trips but it went well. I did 5500 miles in 11 days and hit all of the northern National Parks from Minnesota west...to include: SD/WY/MT/WA/OR and back. Enjoyed it a ton.

I've upp'ed my game in 2015....going for the same mileage but a few days longer. Also increased my photography level/equipment...by alot

June 13th to 28th, 2015: Driving it all....2014 Dodge Durango R/T

Rocky Mountain National Park
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Mesa Verde National Park
Canyonlands National Park
Arches National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
Capitol Reef National Park
Zion National Park
I'm hitting several National Monuments along the way in Utah
Hoover Dam
Grand Canyon (North Rim)
Sequoia National Park
Kings Canyon National Park
Yosemite National Park
Redwood National Park
Lassen Volcanic National Park

I run with a GoPro 3+ Black on my dash and will record some great roads/trips...Going to do the Fall River Road in Rocky Mountain NP when I get there.

I tend to move very fast...as you can imagine.....I see alot and move on...I took 1400 photographs and hours of video on my June 2014 trip.

I recently bought a Nikon 5300 and will be taking even more photographs and videos this trip.

I'm going to start a You Tube Channel after I get back and upload some of the videos.

I research my trips relentlessly when it comes to where I drive and what to see. I'm up by 4:30am everyday and on the road by 5am. This allows more travel time and I usually get to parks early and don't have to deal with traffic.

In 2016 I was planning an Alaska drive (8500 miles round trip) but I'm going to scale it back and just do a "greatest hits" from 2014/2015 and go up through WY/MT/WA down to CA/UT/CO and hit my favorite places I saw in the previous 2 years. Going to add Banff NP in Canada to the list after Glacier when I go there again.

This year I'm actually slowing down (just a bit) and am going to spend entire days in 2 places.....Arches National Park and Yosemite National Park. Actual whole days in these parks...and I know I won't be able to see everything, thats not my goal. Driving does take its toll on me...but it usually takes a few days, thats why I built in 2 day stays in Laughlin, NV and Central CA before hitting the road again.

Can't wait! Just got done with a 4101 mile round trip from Minnesota to Key West and had an amazing time.

Last edited by FiveO; 03-19-15 at 06:53 PM. Reason: add 1 NP
Old 03-19-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^
Sounds like a great but intensive trip Have fun!
Old 03-19-15, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm planning on visiting my sister since she recently moved to the Hudson Valley, but I don't know exactly when.
Old 03-30-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got back from my road trip and I'm glad it's out of my system. I drove 2500 miles in 9 days and through 2 snow storms and 2 dust storms. I went from CA to NV, AZ, UT, ID, WY, and fucking back again. Wyoming was pretty cool but the last 20 miles getting to/leaving were the scariest ever. Driving in snow sucks. We drank and grubbed like kings there, though. The weather was really cloudy, so I did not get a good view of the Tetons, which sucked, but oh well. We stayed at the Wyoming Inn of Jackson and it was killer. Visited Snake River Brewing and had some elk sausage. It was tasty.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-30-15 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Driving on ice sucks.
Fixed.
Old 03-30-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Fixed.
Ha! That too. Fuck.
Old 04-08-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
The sand is amazing. Never been in April but the last time we went, we had seaweed all week. That's far from typical though.

If you like fish, go to Dewey Destins, Harborside. They have a restaurant a mile down the road but this is the original location, on a pier in the bay. It's tucked away and kinda easy to miss, but a sunset meal on the bay is fantastic. It's an order window type place and they have picnic tables on the pier. So not fancy, but (overselling it) the best fish I've ever had.

Everyone also hit's The Back Porch. Also fantastic. AJ's is solid. At the other end of the main drag, Buster's is good. It's more of a sports bar type atmosphere.

For breakfast give The Donut Hole a shot. Its a small mom and pop type diner and always has a line out the building. Worth the wait. We just gave them a shot for the first time, last time we were down there.
You sure know your restaurants... Dewey's was fabulous. The fish was awesome, and the hush puppies were outstanding. The red velvet donut at Donut Hole was really good, as was the French toast. (we stayed for breakfast and took donuts to go for the next morning. We also enjoyed the Back Porch, but didn't make it to AJs or Busters (didn't even see Busters, actually).

We also hit (and enjoyed) the Pancakery, Surf Hut and Maguires. Pompano Joes was OK, but not one we would be sure to go back to. Dewey's definitely has that honor though!