Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Summer 2015 -- Any vacations planned? Where are you going?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Summer 2015 -- Any vacations planned? Where are you going?

Old 03-10-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Summer 2015 -- Any vacations planned? Where are you going?

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Harrison Ford isn't the pilot by chance?
So I shouldn't bring my pet snake, Reggie?
Old 03-10-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Vancouver BC, for the opener of U2's tour. (5 days there)
Old 03-10-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A week in LA to look at colleges for my older son, then a week at Pronghorn Resort in Oregon. Looks pretty sweet. Anyone been there?
Old 03-10-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mexico (Merida, Tulum, Cancun, etc) in two weeks.

Los Angeles in the middle of April.

Salida, Colorado for one of the Gentlemen of the Road stopover performances in August.

Chicago looks like its on the agenda for Labor Day.
Old 03-10-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Honolulu, HI - Memorial Day Weekend
Old 03-10-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Are you looking forward to spending time with your wife or spending time in Nashville? I was completely underwhelmed by Nashville and ready to bail after a day or two.
We're going there for a concert she wants to see, and I definitely want to hit up the Opry and check out the music scene. We're only there for 3 nights but I plan to make the most of it.
Old 03-10-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The same thing we do most years---we're going to Disney; this year it's Disney World and we're going to Universal Studios for the first time. So excited--my daughter is graduating from college so we booked the Chef's Table at Victoria and Alberts during our trip.
Old 03-11-15, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got back from The Big Island Saturday so haven't quite figured the next yet. We like to go somewhere about every 4 months if we can manage it (my wife gets 3 weeks and she has to use em or lose em, we've NEVER lost them). Wife wants to go to Quebec sometime, and I've never been either, so might go there if we can stand to fly. She also has a bonus 6 days off in a row in June due to some trading, and I get a fair amount of vacation (5 weeks a year, plus I have about 2.5 weeks in the bank) so we might go to Bend or somewhere else we can drive for a few days. Plus I'm going to exciting Spokane for the World Science Fiction Convention in August (which I'm actually really looking forward to).
Old 03-11-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
The same thing we do most years---we're going to Disney; this year it's Disney World and we're going to Universal Studios for the first time. So excited--my daughter is graduating from college so we booked the Chef's Table at Victoria and Alberts during our trip.
Sweet. Our trip to DW is planned for the last week of June. Staying at the Yacht Club instead of our usual Wilderness Lodge.

I wrote a book on Disney tips not too long ago (I've been many times), some have joked I need to write off the trip as an expensive on Volume II of the book...I don't think that would fly though....

Edit: Shameless plug for book on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/D-D-Approved-Disney-2014-ebook/dp/B00MEZXY70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426088605&sr=8-1&keywords=dad+approved+disney
Old 03-11-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeden View Post
Sweet. Our trip to DW is planned for the last week of June. Staying at the Yacht Club instead of our usual Wilderness Lodge.

I wrote a book on Disney tips not too long ago (I've been many times), some have joked I need to write off the trip as an expensive on Volume II of the book...I don't think that would fly though....

Edit: Shameless plug for book on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/D-D-Approved-Disney-2014-ebook/dp/B00MEZXY70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426088605&sr=8-1&keywords=dad+approved+disney
I've always wanted to stay at the Yacht or Beach Club--the pool looks amazing. We're staying 5 nights at Boardwalk and 4 nights at Bay Lake Tower.
Old 03-11-15, 11:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Ontario for friends, family, and Niagara falls.

Also a local road trip to see this thing:
Old 03-11-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Hitting Destin on July, Louisville's unofficial sister city. The kiddos haven't been to a beach in 3 years so I'm excited.
Old 03-11-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always wanted to stay at the Yacht or Beach Club--the pool looks amazing. We're staying 5 nights at Boardwalk and 4 nights at Bay Lake Tower.
Bay Lake tower is the best thing they ever did to the Contemporary. It really makes the place look amazing.

We are looking forward to the Yacht Club, we always eat at one of our favorite restaurants there, The Yachtsman Steakhouse, but never used it as our hotel. We are looking forward to the location being a quick walk/boat ride to so much.
Old 03-11-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Hitting Destin on July, Louisville's unofficial sister city. The kiddos haven't been to a beach in 3 years so I'm excited.
We are going to Destin for the kids' spring break in April. It's our first time going there, but heard really good things from other families. Since it will be early April, the weather has me a little concerned. Hopefully the recent warming trend continues.
Old 03-11-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeden View Post
Bay Lake tower is the best thing they ever did to the Contemporary. It really makes the place look amazing.

We are looking forward to the Yacht Club, we always eat at one of our favorite restaurants there, The Yachtsman Steakhouse, but never used it as our hotel. We are looking forward to the location being a quick walk/boat ride to so much.
The whole Crescent Lake area is dynamite... so much entertainment, plus the great dining options, like the aforementioned Yachtsman Steakhouse, plus Beaches & Cream, Cape May, Flying Fish, Kimonos, Shula's, and of course easy walking over into Epcot.

I miss Couzzina

We recently ate at Jiko in the AKL for the first time and cursed ourselves for never trying it sooner. Fantastic.
Old 03-12-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The whole Crescent Lake area is dynamite... so much entertainment, plus the great dining options, like the aforementioned Yachtsman Steakhouse, plus Beaches & Cream, Cape May, Flying Fish, Kimonos, Shula's, and of course easy walking over into Epcot.

I miss Couzzina

We recently ate at Jiko in the AKL for the first time and cursed ourselves for never trying it sooner. Fantastic.
Yea, Jiko is very good. I have never been there with the family, but wound up there for a business dinner. Same business trip I took the group to Flying Fish (I had been there before) and they were amazed how good it was (this group hadn't been to Disney before for any reason).

By the way, if you all haven't gotten tickets yet, I updated my research and AAA is still the cheapest place to get them with undercovertourist.com being a close second, assuming you want them ahead of time for FastPass+ reservations and aren't interested in picking them up at the park.
Old 03-12-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
Going to GB for a month and cycling John O'Groats to Lands End.
How are you approaching it? Self-supported or with a group? Flying your own bike over? I've done several shorter bike trips in the UK and Ireland, but never quite figured out how to tackle that one.
Old 03-13-15, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by redcat View Post
How are you approaching it? Self-supported or with a group? Flying your own bike over? I've done several shorter bike trips in the UK and Ireland, but never quite figured out how to tackle that one.
Flying my own bike over.

Self-supported (well...do trains count as support?).

This is roughly my plan so far (only the scottish bit as that seems like the most pain in the ass).

Day 1 Staying my first night in Glasgow (flying into Manchester).
Day 2 Taking the train from Glasgow to Wick (8 hour journey). Off at Wick and going to cycle with all my belongings through to John 0'Groats (take the obligatory sign pic), and cycle to Thurso for the night.
Day 3 Cycle from Thurso to the train station at Lairg, then take the train back to Thurso.
Day 4 Next morning rail back to where I left off at Lairg and cycle to Inverness.
Old 03-13-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
We are going to Destin for the kids' spring break in April. It's our first time going there, but heard really good things from other families. Since it will be early April, the weather has me a little concerned. Hopefully the recent warming trend continues.
The sand is amazing. Never been in April but the last time we went, we had seaweed all week. That's far from typical though.

If you like fish, go to Dewey Destins, Harborside. They have a restaurant a mile down the road but this is the original location, on a pier in the bay. It's tucked away and kinda easy to miss, but a sunset meal on the bay is fantastic. It's an order window type place and they have picnic tables on the pier. So not fancy, but (overselling it) the best fish I've ever had.

Everyone also hit's The Back Porch. Also fantastic. AJ's is solid. At the other end of the main drag, Buster's is good. It's more of a sports bar type atmosphere.

For breakfast give The Donut Hole a shot. Its a small mom and pop type diner and always has a line out the building. Worth the wait. We just gave them a shot for the first time, last time we were down there.
Old 03-13-15, 11:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
The sand is amazing. Never been in April but the last time we went, we had seaweed all week. That's far from typical though.

If you like fish, go to Dewey Destins, Harborside. They have a restaurant a mile down the road but this is the original location, on a pier in the bay. It's tucked away and kinda easy to miss, but a sunset meal on the bay is fantastic. It's an order window type place and they have picnic tables on the pier. So not fancy, but (overselling it) the best fish I've ever had.

Everyone also hit's The Back Porch. Also fantastic. AJ's is solid. At the other end of the main drag, Buster's is good. It's more of a sports bar type atmosphere.

For breakfast give The Donut Hole a shot. Its a small mom and pop type diner and always has a line out the building. Worth the wait. We just gave them a shot for the first time, last time we were down there.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be sure to check them out. I checked out Dewey's menu online, and it looks great. We've heard about the Donut Hole from others, so that was already on our radar.

The weather has been mid-low 70s, so hopefully it ticks up just a bit from there, and we will be in great shape.
Old 03-13-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Honolulu, HI - Memorial Day Weekend
Good luck with that. It's going to be so crowded and if your planning to go to the Arizona you should get tickets way in advance.
Old 03-13-15, 12:20 PM
Banned

not really summer but spending a few days at Disney and California adventures end of April
Old 03-13-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vegas with friends in May.

Then going to Chile for a week in June to visit my sister who moved there for a year.

In July we go to Greece (Athens and Santorini) for a week and then fly to Bodrum to get on a boat for a week.
Old 03-13-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Next to the Poly, BLT is my favorite... I do admit to never staying in the Crescent Lake area though, which is odd considering EPCOT is which park I enjoy the most. Im doing the Food and Wine Half later in the year and want to stay at the Boardwalk but Im also trying to find a job to move back home to Orlando so the funds might not be there to stay that time around.
Old 03-13-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Next to the Poly, BLT is my favorite... I do admit to never staying in the Crescent Lake area though, which is odd considering EPCOT is which park I enjoy the most. Im doing the Food and Wine Half later in the year and want to stay at the Boardwalk but Im also trying to find a job to move back home to Orlando so the funds might not be there to stay that time around.
I stayed at the Polynesian around Christmas time right after they refurbished it a few years ago, it was impressive. They are just about to bring on line the over water suites there for the vacation club.

Are you in the vacation club since your staying at BLT or just usual lodging?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.