Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Was Afroman wrong?
Yes
21
63.64%
No
8
24.24%
Slap bitches all day!
2
6.06%
Wrong for sporting an afro!
2
6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Afroman

Old 02-18-15, 02:10 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Afroman

Morrissey would be throwing more punches than Sugar Ray Leonard if he took that approach.
Old 02-18-15, 02:44 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,528
Received 169 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Looks like Afroman hits the buffet harder than he hit that poor girl.
The munchies are no joke.
Old 02-18-15, 02:49 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
mike45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Afroman

Afroman who? Never heard of him.
Old 02-18-15, 02:57 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 23,387
Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
It does seem unnecessarily harsh...however:

1. She invaded his space. That being the Stage and his personal space
2. She made physical contact. Yes, it was just her ass, but he was likely in a "zone" while playing and just reacted to being in inappropriately touched.
3. In this day and age where Dimebag Darrel was killed by a fan onstage...I can totally understand his reaction.
4. Had she been a "he" and the Afro-man "Afro Woman". People would justify the reaction and violence.
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I'm upset he was arrested. He was justified.

But since you threw the Race Card....I can't help but wonder if he was arrested mostly because she was a "helpless" little white girl and he's a big black man....
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
So what? Because he's a Male he has to allow a stranger female to touch him?
Again, what if he was a woman and she was a man. Would it be ok for man to rub his ass or cock on a woman on stage without her consent? I've seen women physically attack men for less and no one said a thing....
I agree with this guy.
Old 02-18-15, 03:01 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,003
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Afroman

Initial thought was that he didn't know she was there and surprised him, but in second video he seems to see her dancing behind him over his right shoulder before she goes to his left and gets smacked down.
Old 02-18-15, 04:07 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,004
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Afroman

I heard he apologized later backstage and gave her a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags
Old 02-18-15, 04:27 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,690
Received 634 Likes on 444 Posts
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
Afroman who? Never heard of him.
Did you miss the year 2000? Because I got High was EVERYWHERE. It didn't matter what genre station you listened to, everyone played it because people would call in and request it.
Old 02-18-15, 04:34 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,870
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Afroman

Pretty sure about 99% of the population doesn't know who this guy is. Including people around in 2000.
Old 02-18-15, 04:41 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 454
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Did you miss the year 2000? Because I got High was EVERYWHERE. It didn't matter what genre station you listened to, everyone played it because people would call in and request it.
Yeah I hated when they switched from Mozart to Afroman on my classical station.
Old 02-18-15, 04:41 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,690
Received 634 Likes on 444 Posts
Re: Afroman

Point taken.
Old 02-18-15, 06:59 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,740
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Afroman

How the hell can a person thread bump before DVD Talk went online!!!!

Afroman's rep says the rapper had no idea if the fan was a man or a woman -- he just reacted to someone being on stage
So, does anyone know if there are people walking around who aren't men or women. Portland, OR is the exception.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-18-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 07:43 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 16,469
Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Afroman

He was scheduled to play a show here in town, and I heard some people organized a Facebook page to get him canceled. Sure enough the venue just canceled him.
Old 02-18-15, 08:10 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,546
Received 197 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: Afroman

I came into this thread wanting to support the punishment of stage crashers but that was an over reaction.
Old 02-18-15, 08:18 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 17,720
Received 742 Likes on 531 Posts
Re: Afroman

After having long forgotten about it for over a decade, I've now had that stupid goddamn song in my head all day after reading this thread. *groan*
Old 02-18-15, 08:25 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Afroman

If your fans like you enough to want to come on stage, this is how you do it:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bBWrbEUu3nk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-18-15, 11:44 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Afroman

^ That's because Terry Hall is about the chillest guy on the planet.
Old 02-19-15, 01:35 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35,150
Received 684 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Did you miss the year 2000? Because I got High was EVERYWHERE. It didn't matter what genre station you listened to, everyone played it because people would call in and request it.
It's even in the end credits of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.
Old 02-19-15, 01:44 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
mike45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Did you miss the year 2000? Because I got High was EVERYWHERE. It didn't matter what genre station you listened to, everyone played it because people would call in and request it.

I was alive and awake in 2000. But, I still never heard of Afroman.
Old 02-19-15, 02:58 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,114
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
But that was more than a decade ago, and I've never talked to a musician who seemed especially worried about something similar happening to them.
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
It does seem unnecessarily harsh...however:

1. She invaded his space. That being the Stage and his personal space
2. She made physical contact. Yes, it was just her ass, but he was likely in a "zone" while playing and just reacted to being in inappropriately touched.
I understand it gets complicated in regards to that. Like you say, if it had been a man people may have had a different opinion of the situation, and yet the laws are supposed to be applied equally. However, I don't think I could justify dropping some girl to the floor because she invaded my space and bumped me with her butt in a musical setting.
The double standard is that if a woman hit some guy for doing the same thing I would think she was justified.


3. In this day and age where Dimebag Darrel was killed by a fan onstage...I can totally understand his reaction.
He didn't seem threatened. He complained that girls kept getting on stage and wouldn't leave, he sees a girl get on stage right beside him and a moment later gets butt bumped and slaps her to the ground and then continues playing like nothing. If he was in fear for his life you'd think he would have stopped playing and called for security to get this person threatening his life off the stage.

I think Jenni Rivera got arrested for hitting a fan too.

Beyonce getting dragged off stage
It seems like Beyonce is less sensitive than this dude.

4. Had she been a "he" and the Afro-man "Afro Woman". People would justify the reaction and violence.
Yeah. But again it's a double standard that people have because women are much more likely to be the victims of sexual harassment and sexual assaults by men, then the inverse of that.

Her boyfriend or friend can be seen urging her to get close to Afroman.
Old 02-19-15, 06:58 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 16,469
Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Afroman

If he punched a dude it would be a non story, or just a 'funny' clip on youtube.
Old 02-19-15, 08:32 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
So what? Because he's a Male he has to allow a stranger female to touch him?
Again, what if he was a woman and she was a man. Would it be ok for man to rub his ass or cock on a woman on stage without her consent? I've seen women physically attack men for less and no one said a thing....
Oh please. He wasn't justified. He's a douche who should have security on hand. He kept playing like a total asshole. If he was actually concerned, he would have stopped and asked for security or simply got the fuck off stage. And I could give a rats ass about your double standard - there are lots of acceptable double standards and this is one of them. Now instead of acting like a civilized human being he pretty much ruined his career and any chance of anyone wanting to have a good time with the guy. I've seen SO many concerts where fans have gotten onstage and never ever saw anything like this.

Last edited by CRM114; 02-19-15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 08:39 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
covenant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 5,110
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
The real crime is his horrendous guitar playing
He went to the lil Wayne school of rock!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8g762REJWcg?rel=0&amp;controls=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-19-15, 09:30 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,116
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Afroman

Afroman will be checking into a facility to help him deal with his anxiety. I guess he's not smoking the right type of weed.

http://www.sunherald.com/2015/02/18/...self.html?rh=1
Old 02-19-15, 11:39 AM
  #49  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,327
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Afroman

After Pantera I have no fucking tolerance for people on stage. He should of curb stomped her ass to teach anyone else to stay the fuck off stages. Fuck the "shes a female" defense he probably didn't even recognize that, just saw some fat fuck get up on stage and try and touch him. Good for him to keep playing, like I said a swift kick to the face afterwards would of been a nice follow up. Hopefully nothing comes of this.

Also no I don't give a shit about Afroman.
Old 02-19-15, 11:42 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 19,033
Received 234 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: Afroman

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Afroman will be checking into a facility to help him deal with his anxiety. I guess he's not smoking the right type of weed.

http://www.sunherald.com/2015/02/18/...self.html?rh=1
Will rehab help control his pimp hand? Only time will tell.

Last edited by Sonic; 02-19-15 at 11:50 AM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.