Reload this Page >

Two days in Sacramento... What to do?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-25-15, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Sac in a few days to see a concert. Got our room near Old Town Sac and cant wait to see this place! So far I have an idea of things to do such as: Old Town Sac, Tower Bridge, Sutter's Fort, and the Capitol building.

Any other suggestions? Especially food or cafes that we should hit up? Really appreciate it, guys!
Old 01-25-15, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Two days in Sacramento... What to do?

Go to the candy store at Old Town. Bring one piece of candy up to the counter. The clerk will ring it up as "One hundred and thirty-eight....Cents". I don't know if that clerk is still there who does that, but I loved looking at the reactions of the customers whenever he would say that outloud.
Old 01-25-15, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I always go to the Railroad museum when I'm in Sacto. It's very interesting.
Old 01-25-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Me and my late dad went there years ago and we both enjoyed it. Check it out. As for eating out Fanny Ann's Saloon is good place to eat. Loved the burger they have.
Old 01-25-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 605 Likes on 436 Posts

This thread is a year or so old but might have some useful info.

Sacramento-bound! Where are some good places to eat?
Old 01-25-15, 12:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
That's what I came here to say. Best rr museum I've ever seen.
Old 01-25-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kill yourself.
Old 01-25-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in Sacramento at the moment right now! I really should take the time to visit the Railroad Museum since i'm up here so often. I like Old Town, but other then that I can't think of anything else that unique or interesting to visit or eat at. We've been to some other things like Stanford's Mansion which was mildly interesting.
Old 01-25-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

Honestly can't suggest anything special around here. The record store on K Street was great, but they've since been forced to move to a much smaller store on Broadway that isn't nearly the same. Great place to eat though is Tako Korean BBQ at the corner of Alhambra and T St, it's Asian-style Mexican food! I can't get enough of it, if I had money I'd buy them out and make it a national chain!
Old 01-25-15, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys!

I have to say that after doing research and seeing what you guys say in this thread and the 2013 one that Sac does not seem to have anything worth seeing.

I am a history buff and will probably go to that railroad museum since we'll be staying near it. I like the sound of that Korean BBQ so were going there!! From pics it looks like an old Richfield gas station building from the 30s was used.

How about shopping? Itll be my fiancé and I and that's her thing. I'm a bit disappointed Sac doesn't have much to offer but Im happy that once I see it, I wont have to go back lol
Old 01-25-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my trip there, it was mostly endless sets of strip malls and shopping centers. However, you must go to WienerWorks: http://www.weinerworksmadison.com

Looks like a shitty place, but their hot dogs and fries are top notch. Really good stuff. If you've got time, go there hours north to Bodega Bay.
Old 01-25-15, 11:36 PM

I saw on Man vs Food that there's a place called Parkers Hot Dogs and were thinking of going there but its a bit out of the way. So Works might be a good substitute.

Too bad I haven't found a good pizza place! Best I've found in Cali is in San Jose. Though Zachary's in Oakland is damn good
Old 01-25-15, 11:42 PM

Parker's is really good, though they're in Roseville and they came from Santa Cruz. Weiner Works is OK but not as much variety, and they lose points by playing a letterboxed standard-def feed of ESPN in stretch mode on their widescreen TV, which they even have a picture of on their website! We used to have Capital Dawg which was great but they went out of business.

I used to go to the railroad museum a lot after it first opened when I was a kid, haven't been there in more than 30 years now. We need something really cool here, too bad it seems the city thinks that's on the way in the form of a new basketball arena, replacing our downtown mall which died a natural death. But maybe they'll have some concerts there at least.
Old 01-26-15, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I use to enjoy riding by bike from Folsom to old Sac sometimes on the American River bike /path trail along the river.Really nice trail for biking or walking.

Originally Posted by Moopher View Post
After my trip there, it was mostly endless sets of strip malls and shopping centers. However, you must go to WienerWorks: http://www.weinerworksmadison.com

Looks like a shitty place, but their hot dogs and fries are top notch. Really good stuff. If you've got time, go there hours north to Bodega Bay.
I stay in Auburn up the hill part of the year.

I use to enjoy going to the Weinerworks in Auburn,not sure if they are same owner as the one on Madison in Sac.

But the food has really gotten worse over the years at the one in Auburn.Taken a lot of items off the menu to start.
And the fries had been overcooked the last few times I been their.
maybe twice A year at most.and the place is never busy.
Also A half order of fries is like a full meal.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-wiener-works-auburn

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Parker's is really good, though they're in Roseville and they came from Santa Cruz. Weiner Works is OK but not as much variety, and they lose points by playing a letterboxed standard-def feed of ESPN in stretch mode on their widescreen TV, which they even have a picture of on their website! We used to have Capital Dawg which was great but they went out of business.
My family tired parkers not to long ago.Agree it was really good.
And Fry's is right around the corner.But their media section has gotten way smaller.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 01-28-15 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-26-15, 07:38 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

If you are coming through the Modesto area, check out Rockin B's burgers in Modesto on McHenry. Best burger I've ever had.
Old 01-26-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

For good Italian style pizza, go to Masullo on Riverside (near 2nd ave). Also, really good is the vegetarian place called "Mother" on Kst between 10th and 11th. Its a block and a half away from the state Capitol which has some good history stuff in the basement. The Crest movie theater is a couple doors down from Mother, its pretty nice and they've been showing some classics recently.

Tower bridge isnt too exciting, its just a bridge. Train museum is excellent.
Old 01-26-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
How about shopping?
Arden Mall's the big fancy one, but Sunrise Mall (At Citrus Heights) was my #1 spot. The mall itself is fine, but right across the street was Tower Records (Now "Dimples"),Target, Best Buy and Barnes & Noble. I spent many tuesday mornings on that block grabbing the DVD exclusives. The good ol' days....
Old 01-27-15, 12:10 AM

Sweet Mercyful Crap that Rockin Bs looks awesome!! We will be going through Modesto so YES that is a destination!! Thanks for the suggestion!

That Masullo looks pretty good. I haven't had a pizza that style in awhile. Sunrise Mall area sounds good! Fury comes out tomorrow and its on my buy list! That bike/walk trail looks nice too but I don't think We'll have time for it :/

I just found out that Birdman is playing at a theater 8 minute drive from where were staying! Since I live in a remote area, I think We'll have to catch that Wednesday night!!
Old 01-27-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Check the thrift stores to see if you can find and WLAF Sacramento Surge jackets, jerseys, or other cool stuff. They were only North American team to win a World Bowl (1992) after all.

Failing that, hang out in the gay bars. But if anyone asks if they can help push in your stool, just politely say no.
Old 01-27-15, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're going to see Birdman at Tower theater, its across the street from a Dimples record/dvd store (used to be a Tower Records store). 2 stores down is the previous "Records on K" that someone else mentioned earlier in the thread. Tower theater is about half a mile from Masullos. Tower Cafe (which is connected the theater) also has good food.
I wouldnt drive out to Sunrise mall. its not better than Arden Fair Mall and its like half an hour further away. There is also a dimple records/dvd store about a mile down Arden from the Arden Mall.
Old 01-28-15, 02:30 AM

The Tower theater is a tri-plexed abortion- 1930s large single-screen theater that was cut up into 3 in the 70s. Since they get the exclusives on most of the art-house stuff, lots of wannabe film snobs go there and think they're cultured because they can watch a subtitled movie and not get bored. I don't patronize cut-up theaters, period.

Last time I went to Sunrise Mall it looked like the place was dying- the stores that I liked were long gone and replaced with ones selling cheap imported trinkets. A lot of its 70s-awesomeness is also gone, though some of the original floor is still there. (It has a 4-screen UA theater which I've never seen the inside of, it's supposedly crappy but I want to at least see it while it's still around; it's about as old as I am.)
Old 01-28-15, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I always wondered where the City of Trees was

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/bcjams/854499878/player/" width="640" height="489" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-28-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is a city of trees. From a tall building, the city looks like it was invaded by Huorns and Ents. I thought i remembered some stat about how Paris is the only city (above a certain population) with more trees per capita. I just looked it up on wikipedia and found: "Sacramento, California, United States, city with the most trees per capita in the world" but its wikipedia so who knows if its right.

The Crest theater is much better than Tower since it hasnt been cut up and still looks great, but Tower gets the new art house movies and is only a couple blocks from my house. plus i had buddies that worked there for many years so i got to get in free a lot.
Old 01-28-15, 10:36 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Sweet Mercyful Crap that Rockin Bs looks awesome!! We will be going through Modesto so YES that is a destination!! Thanks for the suggestion!
No problem, tell em Lon sent you Get there early as they sell out often.
Old 01-29-15, 12:59 AM
Cool New Member

Sacramento is boring as fuck.

But try Gold Club Centerfolds in Rancho Cordova which isn't absolutely terrible.