Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Other Talk "Otterville"

Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Old 01-05-15, 01:39 PM
  #26  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Seriously, considering the news reports of messed-up people going off on strangers, I would have probably not only moved seats but have gone to get a refund or picked another movie.

Hard to enjoy the flick when you're wondering if you or your gf is going to get a .38 slug in the back of the head. The "voicing his inner monologue" description makes him more creepy than if he'd sounded really angry.

Hopefully, he wasn't a member of ISIS.
Old 01-05-15, 02:12 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,603
Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I think I've had more problems with weirdos at the art house theater than I have the cineplex.

The worst was this guy who showed up to every movie with a huge bag of potato chips he would CRINKLE CRINKLE CRINKLE CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH through the whole movie. He was sitting behind me during Dogtooth and when I turned around and told him he was being very loud he just got a confused look on his face and said, "The movie's subtitled."
You should have told that malaka that the movie is subtitled not silent.
Old 01-05-15, 02:31 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,496
Received 763 Likes on 526 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I think I've had more problems with weirdos at the art house theater than I have the cineplex.

The worst was this guy who showed up to every movie with a huge bag of potato chips he would CRINKLE CRINKLE CRINKLE CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH through the whole movie. He was sitting behind me during Dogtooth and when I turned around and told him he was being very loud he just got a confused look on his face and said, "The movie's subtitled."
Reminds me of the time my ex and I went to see In The Mood For Love at a film festival, with my brother, who for some odd reason insisted on taking his dinner leftovers in the theater with him.

Which he decided to snack on, mostly before the movie, thankfully. Leftovers were mostly SUPER CRISPY tortilla chips, in a plastic clamshell to-go container. Noisiest theater snacking I've heard in my entire life.

OP, did your girlfriend know of the theater setup? I can't believe I'm saying this, but if I'd known the type of theater, I wouldn't have worn my hair in a top-knot ...
Old 01-05-15, 02:31 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Jazzbutcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NYC Burbs
Posts: 2,702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Clearly a tourist. No New Yorker would leave an unattended coat at the Angelika.


People are such dicks at the movies. Even Alamo Drafthouse is becoming unbearable. (i.e. Assholes, did you miss the fucking memo that there is no talking? They only repeated it like 50 times!)

The texting/phone checking is out of control in regular theaters. Invariably they are 4 rows in front of you with their screens aglow. Fucking distracting as hell. I have to get up every time and tell them to turn that shit off. Assholes.

/rant
Old 01-05-15, 02:34 PM
  #30  
RIP
 
EddieMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paradise, USA
Posts: 9,845
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

I usually just yell out, "Go back to Oregon, you fucking cocksuckers!" and the whole theater quickly clears out.
Old 01-05-15, 02:48 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,134
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Reminds me of the time my ex and I went to see In The Mood For Love at a film festival, with my brother, who for some odd reason insisted on taking his dinner leftovers in the theater with him.

Which he decided to snack on, mostly before the movie, thankfully. Leftovers were mostly SUPER CRISPY tortilla chips, in a plastic clamshell to-go container. Noisiest theater snacking I've heard in my entire life.

OP, did your girlfriend know of the theater setup? I can't believe I'm saying this, but if I'd known the type of theater, I wouldn't have worn my hair in a top-knot ...
No, she did not and really, I don't think she would notice even if we go to that theater often. Only one crazy movie person in the relationship. But, I don't think anyone should style their hair differently than they normally do just to go to the movies. To me, hair style is just part of the social bargain of going to the movies the same as "dealing" with people who are much taller or have above average sized heads.

And in terms of "top knots" (cannot believe I Googled this), it would be akin to the one on the far right in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:


Source
Old 01-05-15, 02:50 PM
  #32  
RIP
 
EddieMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paradise, USA
Posts: 9,845
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Triple dog bang me...wha??
Old 01-05-15, 04:43 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,956
Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Triple dog bang me...wha??
I saw that and immediately thought "Would bang. Would bang. Would bang."
Old 01-05-15, 05:10 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10,808
Received 626 Likes on 489 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

I actually kinda side with the displaced "weirdo", although the big variable here is that he was not in his seat at the time. Still, if I go into an empty or sparse movie theater (especially non-stadium), I'll purposely choose a seat that gives me a good view. Now, if the theater eventually fills to capacity, there's nothing I can do. But if it remains empty, I'll be pretty pissed if someone sits directly in front of me. I also avoid sitting directly in front of someone in the same situation, and for further etiquette, I make sure there's no one behind me if I want to stand up and stretch during the closing credits.

In other words, I believe it is the responsibility of the most forward seated person to avoid (again, if possible) blocking the screen for anyone behind. While in theory, the person with the now obstructed view can move if need be, it is more polite to ensure that you are not the one obstructing the view.
Old 01-05-15, 05:48 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 42,380
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Seriously, considering the news reports of messed-up people going off on strangers, I would have probably not only moved seats but have gone to get a refund or picked another movie.

Hard to enjoy the flick when you're wondering if you or your gf is going to get a .38 slug in the back of the head. The "voicing his inner monologue" description makes him more creepy than if he'd sounded really angry.

Hopefully, he wasn't a member of ISIS.
Old 01-05-15, 07:29 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,753
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
So, in the spirit of Mabuse's diner etiquette thread, here's an etiquette breach (?) that occurred at a NYC arthouse theater (Angelika) this past weekend. I know people like to complain about the multiplex texters (I do too!), but the art houses draw their own special brand of annoyances too.

My girlfriend and I get to our screening of Inherent Vice early enough to have our pick of seats and we grab two among the 3-5 or so other patrons in the theater at the time. While the theater is still pretty empty, a man in his 40s-50s sits behind my g/f (I believe he had his coat on the seat when we got in the theater and was just returning).

Still, a solid 10-15 minutes before lights down and the theater is pretty empty and the man leans forward and sort of says without introduction or context to my g/f and me, possibly, as he did not lead with any sort of intro, "I'd ask you to take your hat off, but it's your hair. You have you hair up. Nothing you can do about big hair, I guess. I'll have to move my seat." Now, he said that in a calm, but somewhat passive aggressive tone.

I simply half-turned and said, "Okay" after one or two of his sentences to make the point that this isn't a discussion. My g/f basically, replied in kind and threw in a more diplomatic, "Umm...sorry? I guess."

The man then proceeded to just stay in his seat as the theater filled up around him. And my g/f and I enjoyed the film.


So...what the hell was that? I think he was looking for my g/f and I to volunteer to switch our seats or perhaps have my g/f take her hair down (we're not talking Marge Simpson here, it was just up in a bun). It was the most micro of microagressions, but, is that a thing? Has anyone here asked a woman to change her hairstyle or move because of it?

And I agree, if a person is wearing a large hat in a theater, it is perfectly reasonable to request them to remove it. But, someone's hair seems a bridge too far. I care about where I sit in a theater and still...bridge too far.
Well, due to being in an Arthouse environment, which I normally call Farthouse, because of the collection of douchebags who are trying to out verbalize each other with wit that's already been used in movies and books several times over, I'd expect somebody to say something during the normal course of this event to make themselves feel better for the rest of the evening.
Old 01-05-15, 07:30 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,753
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Seriously, considering the news reports of messed-up people going off on strangers, I would have probably not only moved seats but have gone to get a refund or picked another movie.

Hard to enjoy the flick when you're wondering if you or your gf is going to get a .38 slug in the back of the head. The "voicing his inner monologue" description makes him more creepy than if he'd sounded really angry.

Hopefully, he wasn't a member of ISIS.
It's an "Arthouse". The worst form of aggression from somebody in a place like this would be a full hour of sarcasm.
Old 01-05-15, 07:30 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Toddarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 3,538
Received 486 Likes on 330 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Interestingly enough, there was another older patron who was there before I in the same row (other side of the aisle), a couple came before the film started and sat in front of her. She got up and leapfrogged them by moving up 2 rows. No one cared. She felt her seat was no longer adequate, she moved to another open seat, that happened to be in front of the other patrons. No one said anything to anyone else. I feel like that is how it should work. The couple that sat in front of her weren't being malicious, they just wanted what they felt were the best available seats. The woman reacted by "upgrading" her seat. Done and done.
I'm probably in the minority here but, I think sitting directly in front of or really close to someone in an empty theater is a dick move. I think your situation is a little different since that guy wasn't sitting there when you walked in and it sounds like your seats were closer to the middle. This other lady however sounds like she was sitting off to the side and just wanted to sit alone.
Old 01-05-15, 08:06 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

I try and avoid theatres...as most ppl annoy me. If I go it is mid-wk and a matinee showing (unless my gf wants to see something....and then it is at night and usually around a bunch of ppl). As long as ppl don't talk during a movie, play on their phone, or kick my seat...whatever. Oh and if there are babies and/or younger kids...they need to abide too. I hate when parents bring kids to PG-13/R-Rated movies.
Old 01-05-15, 08:40 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

What a bunch of whiners: much ado about nothing. Angelika is so genteel. You should have lived through the double feature for less than a buck days of the 1970's 42nd Street. So much action in the audience that the movies sometimes weren't the main event. I'm not talking about the skin flicks either: the old Selwyn, Apollo, Lyric, even the Amsterdam. I actually left mid movie when I sensed the knives or guns were about to come out. When the punches started to be thrown, it was time to move out of range.
Old 01-05-15, 08:46 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,496
Received 763 Likes on 526 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Well, due to being in an Arthouse environment, which I normally call Farthouse, because of the collection of douchebags who are trying to out verbalize each other with wit that's already been used in movies and books several times over, I'd expect somebody to say something during the normal course of this event to make themselves feel better for the rest of the evening.
Something about this cracks me up. Can't quite put my finger on it.

(Yes, I'm a hypocrite.)
Old 01-06-15, 01:26 AM
  #42  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Now who's being passive-aggressive?!?
Old 01-06-15, 01:36 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35,296
Received 715 Likes on 553 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

If this was in L.A. the holmes that made the remark about the hair would have gotten his ass kicked.
Old 01-06-15, 01:37 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Matt925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,811
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Passive aggressive behavior is white peoples m.o. (I'm white so I can say this without any qualifiers.) Not bold enough to start a confrontation, but definitely throwing the displeasure out there.
Old 01-06-15, 09:02 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,134
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I actually kinda side with the displaced "weirdo", although the big variable here is that he was not in his seat at the time. Still, if I go into an empty or sparse movie theater (especially non-stadium), I'll purposely choose a seat that gives me a good view. Now, if the theater eventually fills to capacity, there's nothing I can do. But if it remains empty, I'll be pretty pissed if someone sits directly in front of me. I also avoid sitting directly in front of someone in the same situation, and for further etiquette, I make sure there's no one behind me if I want to stand up and stretch during the closing credits.

In other words, I believe it is the responsibility of the most forward seated person to avoid (again, if possible) blocking the screen for anyone behind. While in theory, the person with the now obstructed view can move if need be, it is more polite to ensure that you are not the one obstructing the view.
I think that general policy makes sense, to a point. I don't go out of my way to sit in front of people in movie theaters, but I am pretty particular about where I sit relative to the screen, more so, in smaller theaters since they're not stadium seating.

In a smaller theater, especially art house theaters, there tend to be a lot of people like me. So, you'll get an otherwise empty theater that only fills in around the optimal seating area early as the most neurotic of us get there in time to secure "our" seats. Invariably, since these are small theaters in NYC, they then tend to fill to capacity with your average mix of NYU students/tourists/whomever that are less neurotic and show up within 5-10 minutes of the film starting.

In other words, the person you are choosing not to sit in front of, perhaps at the cost of not getting a good seat, is going to have someone sit in front of them eventually, anyway. You're just giving up a better seat, for what reason exactly?

And yeah, I get that this whole thing is predicated on (1) me being a bit insane in the level of importance I place on getting a "good" seat and (2) the assumption that a small theater is going to fill up. Sadly, I will admit that (1) generally causes me to show up to large theaters at off times early as well, to get a preferred seat only to be one of maybe 10 people in the entire theater (note: in these situations, I'm not choosing seats in front of the 1 or 2 people that may be there before me).
Old 01-06-15, 10:02 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,603
Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto View Post
What a bunch of whiners: much ado about nothing. Angelika is so genteel. You should have lived through the double feature for less than a buck days of the 1970's 42nd Street. So much action in the audience that the movies sometimes weren't the main event. I'm not talking about the skin flicks either: the old Selwyn, Apollo, Lyric, even the Amsterdam. I actually left mid movie when I sensed the knives or guns were about to come out. When the punches started to be thrown, it was time to move out of range.
Ahh, the grindhouse. I was too young in the 70's but I did attend in the 80's. Some movies had commentary from audience members that was better than MST3K.
People would bring their own liquor and smoking was allowed so people would light up all kinds of stuff besides cigarettes.
Old 01-06-15, 10:28 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,290
Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
It's an "Arthouse". The worst form of aggression from somebody in a place like this would be a full hour of sarcasm.
You're quite the expert on arthouses, Mr. Polizei. Are there that many of them in Doucheville, Oregon?
Old 01-06-15, 10:36 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,290
Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto View Post
What a bunch of whiners: much ado about nothing. Angelika is so genteel. You should have lived through the double feature for less than a buck days of the 1970's 42nd Street. So much action in the audience that the movies sometimes weren't the main event. I'm not talking about the skin flicks either: the old Selwyn, Apollo, Lyric, even the Amsterdam. I actually left mid movie when I sensed the knives or guns were about to come out. When the punches started to be thrown, it was time to move out of range.
Yeah, the audience was often the entertainment back in those days.

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
I think that general policy makes sense, to a point. I don't go out of my way to sit in front of people in movie theaters, but I am pretty particular about where I sit relative to the screen, more so, in smaller theaters since they're not stadium seating.

In a smaller theater, especially art house theaters, there tend to be a lot of people like me. So, you'll get an otherwise empty theater that only fills in around the optimal seating area early as the most neurotic of us get there in time to secure "our" seats. Invariably, since these are small theaters in NYC, they then tend to fill to capacity with your average mix of NYU students/tourists/whomever that are less neurotic and show up within 5-10 minutes of the film starting.

In other words, the person you are choosing not to sit in front of, perhaps at the cost of not getting a good seat, is going to have someone sit in front of them eventually, anyway. You're just giving up a better seat, for what reason exactly?

And yeah, I get that this whole thing is predicated on (1) me being a bit insane in the level of importance I place on getting a "good" seat and (2) the assumption that a small theater is going to fill up. Sadly, I will admit that (1) generally causes me to show up to large theaters at off times early as well, to get a preferred seat only to be one of maybe 10 people in the entire theater (note: in these situations, I'm not choosing seats in front of the 1 or 2 people that may be there before me).
These days, I wind up sitting in the very back of the theater and on the side in order to find the most comfortable seat for my back, so I tend not to have these problems anymore. There usually aren't any people around me. Not the most ideal way to see most movies, depending on the theater's sight lines, but these days I just don't care anymore. Few movies I see are worth lavishing that kind of care on in terms of where I sit. My back gets the priority. I mean, if you enjoy EXPENDABLES 3, it doesn't really matter where you're sitting. And if you don't, it doesn't really matter where you're sitting either.

I sat in a very uncomfortable seat at the SVA theater on W. 23 St. to see the 35mm screening of the anime feature, WOLF CHILDREN, at a film festival a couple of years ago. The place was packed with kids and I had to sit up close and on the side in order to have a good vantage point to record the Q&A with the director afterwards for an article I would be writing. It was a great movie and one of the most satisfying movie theater viewing experiences I've had in the 2010s.
Old 01-06-15, 11:17 AM
  #49  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movie Theater Etiquette - Art House Weirdos

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
You're quite the expert on arthouses, Mr. Polizei. Are there that many of them in Doucheville, Oregon?
Doucheville, Oregon:

Population: 1,014
Average income: $24,496
Industries: Tuna cannery; aluminum recycling; sawmill.
Red Lights: 1
Public libraries: 0
Wedding chapels: 1
Acoustic coffeehouses: 2
Summer stock companies: 2
Art House Theaters: 5

Source: 2010 US Census

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.