Biggest Loser 2015 Health & Fitness Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-01-15, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New thread for the new year.

I lost 87 lbs in 2014. My goal for 2015 is to lose 100 more lbs by the end of this year. I am pretty sure I can do it because 2014 was largely experimental to see what works and what does not work. So now I have a better idea how to approach weight loss this year.

Weight on Jan 1, 2014: 431 lbs
Weight on Jan 1, 2015: 344 lbs

Goal for Jan 1, 2016: 244 lbs
Old 01-01-15, 11:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Biggest Loser 2015 Health & Fitness Thread

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
New thread for the new year.

I lost 87 lbs in 2014. My goal for 2015 is to lose 100 more lbs by the end of this year. I am pretty sure I can do it because 2014 was largely experimental to see what works and what does not work. So now I have a better idea how to approach weight loss this year.

Weight on Jan 1, 2014: 431 lbs
Weight on Jan 1, 2015: 344 lbs

Goal for Jan 1, 2016: 244 lbs
Congrats. That's awesome! Can you give a brief summary of what you did that was and was not successful for you?
Old 01-01-15, 11:36 PM
Banned

That's awesome. I started in November and lost 18 pounds. In like to lose another 25 if possible. He share with us how you were so successful
Old 01-01-15, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Need to lose some belly fat and build more muscle mass. Started two weeks ago with 30 lbs over my ideal weight. I now have 19 left to go--nearly a pound a day. I'm doing this through intense cardio and weight training. Once I lose the extra I'm going to up my caloric intake more so I can get enough protein to build muscle quickly (I am building some, but not as quickly as I could if I weren't also trying to lose weight at the same time).

End goal is to look like Michael Fassbender.
Old 01-01-15, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matto1020 View Post
Congrats. That's awesome! Can you give a brief summary of what you did that was and was not successful for you?
I have adjusted my diet all year long. When I first started, I was doing a very low carb diet at about 1,200 calories a day. I was constantly hungry. I eventually upped it to 1,500 calories, and that was still a bit too low. Now I eat 1,800-2,000 calories a day. I am still a bit hungry, but not nearly as much. I suppose I am hungry because I am still not eating what I am burning, but you have to eat less than you burn to lose weight, so that's okay. Once I get down to maintenance mode I can eat what I burn.

I also stopped the low carb diet. I now eat carbs, although not a whole lot. My diet is still mostly lean meat and vegetables with a little carbs such as a potato or banana or brown rice every meal.

I have more energy now that I eat more carbs. I find it easier to actually get my workouts in since I have more energy.

I do have one cheat meal every week. When I first started, I was super strict with no cheat meals at all. I found that just made my cravings for junk food more and more intense, until I finally just gave in and pigged out. Then I would crash and start eating junk food all the time for a few weeks before I caught myself and got back on track. Now I have one cheat meal, and that keeps the intense cravings down so I don't get off track with my diet nearly as badly.

Pizza is my favorite food, and honestly I am flat out addicted to it. Pizza is the biggest reason I got over 400 lbs in the first place. I literally ate an entire large pizza practically every single day for over a decade. I tend to usually have pizza as my weekly cheat meal. However, I don't buy full size pizzas anymore. I have learned this year that I have absolutely no control over how much pizza I eat. If I buy a large pizza, I will eat the entire thing in one sitting guaranteed. I have zero willpower when it comes to pizza. So instead I just buy a pan size pizza and eat that now.

Another thing is not to have your favorite junk foods sitting around the house. I don't stockpile pizzas because I have no control over how much I eat them. For other people, it may be not to have a bag of chips sitting around because they will eat the whole bag. If it's not in your house, then it's not there to tempt you.

Regarding exercise, you don't have to start doing a whole lot. I have learned that weight loss is really 90% what you eat and only 10% exercise. Exercise doesn't burn nearly as many calories as people tend to think. Half an hour of moderate intensity exercise only burns around 250 calories. A can of Pepsi is about 250 calories. It's far far far easier to drop the pop drinks than it is to exercise for half an hour.

When I first started, I got very little exercise. I was frankly just too large and out of shape to do much. Just 5 minute at a low intensity exhausted me. So most of my weight loss the first few months was just from eating healthy. The only way to get better is to push yourself to get better however. I kept at it with the exercise, and I slowly built up strength and endurance over the year. I can now exercise for 40 minutes at much higher intensities. I am also doing a little bit of HIIT now, and if you would have told me a year I would be doing HIIT now I would have thought you were insane.

Also, avoid overtraining. When I first started I exercised every day, 7 days a week. That was just too much. You need days off so that your body can recover. Now I exercise 3 days and then take one day off. I feel significantly better doing that since I have time to actually recover.
Old 01-02-15, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 484 Likes on 348 Posts

Weight on Jan 1, 2014: 161 lbs
Weight on Jan 1, 2015: 173 lbs

I've really let myself go.
Old 01-02-15, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow. Those are great tips! I want to lose 50 pounds this year (need to lose 100 but 50 is a start and I'm actually okay with never being my skinny, pre- kid self again.) We're going to Universal in September and I hope to be able to ride the Harry Potter rides that are notorious for not being fat friendly.

Plan to do paleo but allow all foods on Saturday, and alcohol if I'm with a friend (wine or beer with all dinners was adding too many calories). We had cabbage rolls and broccoli for dinner, and I didn't even notice that I left the rice and sugar out.

I did ok today exercise wise. I raked leaves for half an hour and then went on a half hour walk. 3 days on, 1 day off sounds like a good idea in taffer's post, so I think I'll try that.
Old 01-02-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 109 Posts

Weight on Jan 1, 2012: 263 lbs
Weight on Jan 1, 2013: 198 lbs (-65 lbs)
Weight on Jan 1, 2014: 220 lbs (+22 lbs)
Weight on Jan 1, 2015: 248 lbs (+28 lbs)

... I felt really good at 220 lbs, but 2014 was a bad year for me and I fell completely out of my routine in the Summer of 2013. I've been hovering around 245 lbs for the last three months and I'm finally in a place to start working on losing weight again.

My goal for 2015 is to get to 225 lbs in the next 6-8 months and maintain it for the rest of the year.

I'm going to go back to exercising for 30 minutes, three times a week and counting calories (2000/day).

Let's see what happens.
Old 01-02-15, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I did the Harry Potter Forbidden Journey couple years ago when I was very skinny 6'2" 180 lbs. Even then, it felt tight, like being locked into a coffin, but I'm claustrophobic and obviosly tall. Still a cool ride but won't do it anymore.
Old 01-02-15, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have any particular targets myself, but as someone that's always been typically thin and trim i've put on a bit more weight then I like over the last year. Coupled with changing jobs a few times and losing my previous weekly basketball games for a good portion of the year (as well as a sprained ankle), i'm eager to get in to leaner shape. I'm 5'7" and went up to about 170, which is too much for me as I feel like I should be 10-15 pounds less depending on how much muscle I gain.

I have simple goals of just hitting the gym at the apartment complex a couple times a week, and playing basketball at the office once or twice a week as well. I also want to start doing some simple exercises at home. I have some dumbells that I don't use nearly enough, but i'm hoping at just going back to the basics; push ups and sit ups/crunches. My work has a healthy life plan that gives credit for hitting basic fitbit goals, so that helps as well with the new fitbit that I have.

Any tips for simple exercises to do without equipment? I've done some high intensity stuff that I saw on youtube before, like a combination of crunches/jackknifes, burpees, and mountain climbers before. Maybe pick up that up again in the mornings when I wake up and before work.
Old 01-02-15, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Been unable to get back into it for three years (my drinking's been the main reason) but... things have to change, or I fear I'll dig myself an even deeper hole. 30lbs to lose... I've done some hard thinking about it the past few days, planning a new schedule, diet...I think I can do it in 4 months... I just need to stop thinking about it and start doing.

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Old 01-02-15, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Start (in 2009): 230 lbs
Now: 128 lbs
Lowest: 111 lbs
I do want to get around 115 lbs for my wedding this year. At least I have a whole year
5'4". Longevity has been associated with a BMI of 20 to 22.4, or 116.5 lbs to 145 lbs for me, so I'm pretty much at the center of that.

I started off 2014 at 141 lbs or so.
Old 01-02-15, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been hovering in the 189 range after getting back up to 205. Did make it through Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years without eating any candy or sweets.
Old 01-02-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm getting in this this year. I started after Thanksgiving doing low carb and I already feel a ton better but the weight is coming off slow, which is fine, as long as it keeps coming off.
Old 01-02-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm currently at 184 lbs (started out last year at 225 lbs). Now I'm looking to get more fit. That "Deal of the Day" on Amazon, I was able to get the P90X DVD Workout - Base Kit for $50. So I'll be giving that a go once it arrives in the mail.
Old 01-02-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Really wasn't focusing on weight in 2014 but more on running. And ran my first half marathon. However, Dr put me back on BP meds so now my goal is to see if losing weight and continued exercise can get me off of them (it possible I should have never stopped).

Started in 2007 or 2008 at 273 @ 5'10.
Lowest I've been was 173. Currently 182 and back to focusing on losing

But bigger goal for me is exercise. I've pre-paid for three races in 2015. Plan to do them all in half marathon distances. Still undecided if I want to committ to a full.

Also in December I really let lifting lapse. So I started the new year (yesterday) doing 30 min of weight to get back to it.
Old 01-02-15, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Weight on Jan 1, 2014: 161 lbs
Weight on Jan 1, 2015: 173 lbs

I've really let myself go.
Gaining 12 lbs is "really letting yourself go"?

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Any tips for simple exercises to do without equipment?
Stair climbing. My apartment complex has four floors (plus a basement). I sometimes use the stairwell for exercise. Climbing stairs is good exercise since you're carrying your body weight against gravity.
Old 01-02-15, 10:43 AM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Weight on 1/1/14 - 144 lbs
Weight on 1/1/15 - 141 lbs
Old 01-02-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 168 Posts

I started cutting back and getting more in shape on Thanksgiving Day (Canada - Oct. 13th).

I was about between 235-240 lbs when I started. I didn't weigh myself because I want it to be about more than just numbers.

I'm probably about 215-220 lbs now. I know I already feel a lot lighter and I've gone down 4 belt-notches.

I figure I should get to around 200 lbs or so. I've got a decent amount of natural muscle, so I've always been heavier than I look. I don't eat a lot of bad food, I just ate more than I should. I'm not very out of shape - my main problem was that carrying the extra weight would tire out my legs/back before I could get winded.

I currently exercise by doing about 1 hour a day on my stationary bike, and I go for a 1 hour walk each day (even in this frickin' cold weather. ugh).

I know my weight-loss has a lot more to do with eating less/better than it has to do with exercise - but I do the exercise to make me feel better.

I'll probably weight myself in a couple months to see where I'm at - but only if I feel like I've physically lost more weight.
Old 01-02-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I did well last year. I recall weighing 138 in February. A couple of weeks ago I weighed 140. Thanks to support from loved ones, my weight has stayed consistently well.
Old 01-02-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Any tips for simple exercises to do without equipment? I've done some high intensity stuff that I saw on youtube before, like a combination of crunches/jackknifes, burpees, and mountain climbers before. Maybe pick up that up again in the mornings when I wake up and before work.[/QUOTE]

Body weight exercises are all the rage. Again. Think "old school" like push-ups and pull-ups. But all things like planks (there are many variations) and body weight squats and lunges all all good. Arguably the king of all body weight exercises is burpee's. If you Google or YouTube it, realize there are many variations and obviously start with beginner versions.

Also realize that that as you do these adding even light, Inexpensive weights can take many of these to another level. For example one of my favorite to mix things up is the kettle ball swing. Even a cheap, light weight one will get you sweating.

Same warning applies to body weight exercises as anything else. Form is the most important factor. Both for safety and getting the most out of it.
Old 01-02-15, 02:11 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Side planks are cool. Insanely tough though.
Old 01-02-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 484 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Gaining 12 lbs is "really letting yourself go"?
I was joking. Actually I'm the opposite of those trying to lose weight. Almost all my life I coudn't gain weight no matter how much I ate. I'm 6'1" and I don't think I broke 150 until I was 45. I'm over 50 now and it looks like it's easier to gain weight when you get older, maybe metabolism slows down or something.

Note: For simple exercises with minimal equipment, get resistance bands. You can get "kits" for around $30 and you can find a bunch of 20/30 min. workouts on YouTube. Better than cluttering your apt with weights, balls and bulky equipment.

I got this on sale for $29 a while back:

http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Mountain-.../dp/7245456313
Old 01-02-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I probably could stand to lose 30 pounds or so. I lost 65 last year, but I really slacked off in November and December. Not getting to the gym and too much alcohol. Didn't gain any weight, though, so there's that, but I'll get back in the saddle and lose those last few pounds (and inches off my belly).

Last edited by JasonF; 01-02-15 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-02-15, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I'm over 50 now and it looks like it's easier to gain weight when you get older, maybe metabolism slows down or something.
It's a myth that metabolism slows down a lot as you age. Well, it does slow, but it's nowhere near as much as most people tend to think.

The equation used in calculating a person's BMR puts very little emphasis on age. Here is an online BMR calculator:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Use that to compare two different people with the same height and weight but make one person 20 years old and the other 60 years old. The difference in BMR is about 280 calories, which isn't very significant at all.

What makes it seem like our metabolism gets slower as we age is that we just plain and simple get lazier as we age. We tend to burn less calories as we age because we simply are less active. When we are young, we are typically very active. When we get older, we get less and less active.

Another thing regarding metabolism is that a lot of overweight people use the excuse that their metabolism is too slow. This is almost always untrue. It's very very rare to have a naturally slow metabolism. Also, using that BMR calculator above you can see that heavier people actually have a higher metabolism than lighter people of the same height and age. (That makes sense because moving a heavy body requires more effort than moving a light body. Your heart and lungs have to work harder to pump blood and breathe when you are heavy. And so on.) So the excuse of having a slow metabolism is just that... an excuse that isn't actually true.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.