Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is your job(s) cutting it for you? (Are you making enough?)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Is your job/jobs cutting it for you? Are you making enough to survive?
Yes, I'm living very comfortably
19.72%
Yes, but I wish I could be earning a lot more
35.21%
Living paycheck to paycheck, but hanging in there
32.39%
Barely getting by, but surviving
8.45%
It's a daily struggle
4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Question is in the title.

I'm sure most of you are glad to just have employment. But, I was wondering if the job or jobs you currently have is cutting it for you? Are you making enough money to live comfortably and save or are you barely making it? Is your monthly expenses/overhead killing you?

I have 2 jobs and I'm doing okay. I'm making a little more than when I was a staff employee, but the only thing that sucks was losing my medical, vision and dental benefits. Paying those out of pocket, especially medical really sucks.

But, I make enough to pay all my bills and for my luxuries and I make enough to take a yearly overseas vacation. I'm doing okay, but I wish I was making more. I wish I could be saving a little more, but I do put away money when I can for a rainy day. Just glad to be working. I would say I have a good amount of work for 9 1/2 to 10 months out of the year.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-30-14 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-30-14, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Is your job(s) cutting it for you? (Are you making enough?)

I would take less work for less pay, but I'm fucking swamped. Hope to be able to retire in 2 years, and everything is pointing to that. Then I can tell half my work to take a hike. And then I will play.
Old 12-30-14, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Recently had a second kid, which means our daycare costs doubled. I would love to find something that pays 10 grand more.
Old 12-30-14, 07:51 AM
Banned

I thought everyone on DVDTalk had a six figure salary?

Anyway, I live paycheck to paycheck. It doesn't really bother me much though because I am not married and have no kids, so I don't need a lot of money. I live frugally and it doesn't bother me much since I don't have a hoarder mentality to buy a bunch of crap anyway. I just bought my first HDTV this year. Before that I was using a 24" Sony SDTV I originally bought in 2004. I don't have a smartphone, and I don't want one either. My computer is going on 8 years old, and I don't mind since I only ever use it for internet and Office work anyway, and it's fine for that. My car is 15 years old, and it wasn't even that good of a car when I first bought it. It gets me from A to B and that's fine for me.
Old 12-30-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm doing well financially, the problem is that there is now a glut of new grads in my field (pharmacy) and no jobs for them. Because of this, my company is making life hell at work knowing full well we can replaced with cheaper help and the bottom line is all that matter for the upper management/stockholders. So now I am just waiting for the axe to fall in either being fired (with no job prospects) or a big paycut, saving as much money as possible.
Old 12-30-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My wife and I are ok, we budget our money and live within our means. Not having kids (or planning on having any) allows us to splurge every once in a while which is good because we like to go out a lot.

Last edited by inri222; 12-30-14 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm fine for the most part. I don't have a family so I don't have anyone else to take care of. I do save a bit here and there but for the most part I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I'd be a lot better off if I rented/bought a home outside of NYC but I'm a yuppy schmuck.
Old 12-30-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Paycheck to paycheck for me, with some reserve in the tank in case I suddenly find myself out of work...but even then, I'd be in serious trouble in a month or two. Rent takes up about 2/3rds of a paycheck for me where I live, but it's a convenient/nice location, so I only plan to move if it's the only financial option for me.
Old 12-30-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Paycheck to paycheck for me, with some reserve in the tank in case I suddenly find myself out of work...but even then, I'd be in serious trouble in a month or two. Rent takes up about 2/3rds of a paycheck for me where I live, but it's a convenient/nice location, so I only plan to move if it's the only financial option for me.
I hope you get several paychecks a month!
Old 12-30-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I hope you get several paychecks a month!
Two.
Old 12-30-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure everyone wishes they made more money. I'm living paycheck to paycheck as I have bills and rent to pay off, but i'm doing ok. I left a higher base salary paying job because I hated it to go back to a previous job/employer and I love it a lot more, although bonuses and perks just about make up the difference (before taxes, anyway).
Old 12-30-14, 11:29 AM

Does this mean you can get us into betas again?
Old 12-30-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm fine. If we were one income, I wouldn't be but we're not. My wife makes the same base as me, but she gets a production bonus which has lately been about half of her base. I get much better benefits, plus my pay is bearable, so that's my part. My job is one of the few jobs left I'm aware of that still has a pension, plus I'm able to put away about 40 percent of my net pay into a retirement plan on top of that (I'm about to turn 52 so these things are on my mind) so I think we're doing ok. Not rich, and not likely to be able to retire early, but pretty comfortable, and the amount I have to work (basically just a bit over 40 hours) is bearable (although the 12-15 hours a week I spend commuting is not so bearable, but that is kind of the nature of where I live and work. Our house is good, if we really want something we can afford it, and we pretty much put her production money into savings so that's building up. Overall I'm reasonably happy with how things worked out.

Last edited by Ginwen; 12-30-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-30-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm living comfortably and feeling blessed. I'm enjoying my work and they pay well with good medical and dental benefits. I'm not living paycheck to paycheck even with a mortgage and car payment. Hoping to get rid of my credit card and line of credit bills by March. I go to out of country vacation yearly and buy myself electronic "toys" without feeling guilty about it. It helps that I don't have any children to support.
Old 12-30-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had the same job for over 37 years. I'm finally doing slightly better than living paycheck to paycheck, but there were several years when the creditors were beating down my door. I hope to retire in three years and have just enough to live without having to work. You know, like the rioters on TV.
Old 12-30-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Does this mean you can get us into betas again?
Yes
Old 12-30-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who wouldn't want more money, but I manage. I made a change to get a little less and work a lot less.
Old 12-30-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right now we're doing very well. Married, no kids, don't want any. The wife and I (both early 40s) combined make more than enough to support our lifestyle (travel, dining, theater, "toys", etc.), invest, save for a healthy retirement, stay healthy, and pay our bills.

I count myself very lucky, but I also work really hard. I'm in IT development and have to continuously research and study my ass off to stay in the game. I've sadly seen so many others I started with get left in the dust by not staying on top of changing trends and technologies, or find themselves stuck with a legacy programmer position which offers some stability but very little in terms of salary, growth, or portability.
Old 12-30-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Living paycheck to paycheck pretty much, I am able to fund my retirement/savings etc, which is good.

Wife works, but makes significantly less than me (Public Education), she is starting to get fed up with the long hours and low pay however and thinking of a career change.

My job also brings great health benefits, which I am extremely thankful for (No Coins, just copay, 100$ deductible)

Also the MiL watches the little one, which helps a TON.
Old 12-30-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm somewhere between the first two choices. Living below my means, but of course I could always use more money.
Old 12-30-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My wife and I do fine. We own a home in a nice community and have a little left over each month for savings. We live pretty frugally, but also don't really deny ourselves much. We would definitely travel more if we could. We had our first kid this year, so that's put a dent in our budget, but it hasn't been too big of a burden yet. Given how long I've been at my company (in an upper level position no less) people would probably be surprised at how little I make, but I'm not too worried about it.

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is that my wife is a doctor and when she's done with her fellowship in 2.5 years, she'll finally be making an attending's salary. Her chosen field is on the lower end of the doctor pay spectrum, but it should still be more than what she and I make now combined. I may even quit my job and become mr. mom. That's still a long ways off though.
Old 12-30-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Couldn't be happier with work - steady, good profit sharing, raises. But my townhome is still underwater.. thing's been an anchor for me ever since I bought it. I'm hoping spring 2017 I can sell it, I'll still have to write a big check though.
Old 12-30-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
My wife and I are ok, we budget our money and live within our means. Not having kids (or planning on having any) allows us to splurge every once in a while which is good because we like to go out a lot.
Good deal. 3 kids most definitely make money tighter. I'm lucky in that regard, but you still find yourself thinking, "How the fuck do you guys cost so fucking much??!?" And the return policy on them is horrible.
Old 12-30-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm doing OK now, but it took several years to get back to where I was in the early 2000's. Don't know if I'll ever make what I made just before the crash. We are more comfortable now because the kids are done with college and the mortgage is paid. Right now we have a $500 month in property taxes ($160K house, welcome to NY) plus a $135.00 month for one of the cars. That's it except for the usual utilities, groceries, etc.

But damn, back in 07 I was making about $10,000 month plus a company car. Now I make half that and pay for my own car. In 09 and 10 I made less than what I had been making in the early 80's but fought my way back.
Old 12-30-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely wish I was making more... I work 2 jobs, even though I enjoy the 2nd one a lot. Main problem for me is I my main job is for a non-profit so I get really good benefits and a lot of paid time off, but just don't make a whole lot commensurate with what I do, haven't gotten a raise in about 6 years due to cuts in Medicaid, and live in NYC. Not complaining as I do okay, just wish I was doing better than okay. Hell I'd take good.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.