Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you wear glasses, if so, where do you get them?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-29-14, 05:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

So I wear glasses and have a few pairs. need an update of my prescription. therefore will buy probably one nice pair of frames with new prescription and then get lenses for my other frames...

where is the best place (ex. Walmart, grocery store, chain brand (Lenscrafters) or private practice place?

thanks.
Old 12-29-14, 05:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you wear glasses? if so, where do you get them?

http://www.coastal.com/ - Coastal Contacts (Clearly Contacts in Canada). Yes, they also sell glasses.
http://www.zennioptical.com/ - Zenni Optical. Ships from China, I think. My current glasses are from them, and I'm happy.
Old 12-29-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Do you wear glasses, if so, where do you get them?

https://www.warbyparker.com
Old 12-29-14, 05:40 PM

but, doing it online, aren't you risking proper fit and stuff? i want perfect fit...
Old 12-29-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I gft mime at Giasses 4 Iess -- really comvemiemt and you cam,t beat tne pricf!!!!
Old 12-29-14, 05:49 PM
Suspended

-Say goodbye to $50
-Receive membership card
-Purchase eyeglasses
-Return to customer services desk
-Citing service unsatisfactory
-Return membership card
-Receive $50 refund
-Rinse and repeat every 2 years
Old 12-29-14, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
http://www.coastal.com/ - Coastal Contacts (Clearly Contacts in Canada). Yes, they also sell glasses.
http://www.zennioptical.com/ - Zenni Optical. Ships from China, I think. My current glasses are from them, and I'm happy.
I've been eyeing zenni lately. I want to get my lenses from them. How does it work out exactly? Like I get my prescription, input the data, then get the glasses?

I hear very good things from them.
Old 12-29-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've just recently used both Zenni and Coastal and yes it's very easy and saves a ton! Just input your prescription. I wear progressive bifocals and haven't had any problems.
Old 12-29-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just copying this from a user on a Canadian forum:

First of all, let me say that going with the likes of Zenni is far cheaper than going even to Costco. BUT, there are several factors at play.

Frames
Lenses
Service
Blah Blah Blah

Regardless, the mark up is super inflated and sometimes ridiculous, leaving the unwary customer feeling hosed and helpless, to say the least.

Frames: Yes, most frames are controlled by Luxottica and are hyper inflated in price. Strike 1 for the consumer.

Lenses. Strike 2 for the consumer if you go main stream. Clearly Contacts used to be cheap until Essilor bought them for $430 Million. http://www.vancouversun.com/business...789/story.html Even lenses are controlled by two or three manufacturers.

Hopefully, the likes of Zenni do not follow suit.

Services: Lastly, an optometrist will warn you never to buy from online retailers like Zenni, due to fit, warranty and worst case, dangerous to your eyes etc etc. Humbug. Strike 3 for the consumer. If you know your prescription, bridge, lens width, height, temple length and PD, you will be fine. The prescription numbers AND PD can be given to you by your eye doctor. The other numbers can be got by strolling into any eye wear store, trying out the glasses you like and which fit the best. You can then look on the inside of the frame and all your other numbers will be clearly marked over there. Jot them down. Now go to Zenni or an online retailer and do your shopping.

In conclusion, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. My entire glasses on sale used to be $700+. With Clearly Contacts (before Essilor sale) $275. With Zenni three months ago, $165 and even less, if I didn't choose a high index lens.
And this is worth watching:

60 Minutes - Luxottica. Do you know who makes your glasses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdq2rIqAlM
Old 12-29-14, 11:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I've been eyeing zenni lately. I want to get my lenses from them. How does it work out exactly? Like I get my prescription, input the data, then get the glasses?

I hear very good things from them.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. The main thing with online vendors like Zenni is that you need to input your PD (Pupillary Distance), which isn't always readily available on your prescription, but is most definitely on file at the place where you got your prescription. For example, mine is 63mm. The average is around there. It's something you can measure with a ruler and a friend.

My current glasses were about $71 all-in, and that's with high index lenses.

Yes, you take a risk with sizing (although Zenni and Coastal give you ALL the dimensions), but overall, it's worth it.
Old 12-29-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

eyebuydirect.com

Yes it's online but the cheapest I've found.
Old 12-30-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a small face so I need small glasses and they are hard to find at those discount places for the lowest price. I used Eyebuydirect.com for years. I work out a lot and don't baby my glasses, sit on them on bed by mistake, lose them, etc, so I view glasses as disposable items. I was on my last EBD pair and I still hadn't found one I liked at the lowest price so this time I found them at Zennioptical.com and bought 4 pairs for $32.75 shipped. That's my yearly glasses order
Old 12-30-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

After wearing glasses & contact lenses for over 30 years and sick of them, I took the plunge about 7 years ago and got Lasik. If your corneas are healthy, I highly recommend it.
Old 12-30-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had to wear glasses for 10 years now. I get mine from my optometrist and use my flex spending account to pay for them. I've never considered buying online because I always need to get them adjusted and fitted.
Old 12-30-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
After wearing glasses & contact lenses for over 30 years and sick of them, I took the plunge about 7 years ago and got Lasik. If your corneas are healthy, I highly recommend it.
I know a few people that got Lasik and say that it's the only way to go. It's safe and in the long run it'll save you money.

With that said, I'm still really fucking scared to do it.

I'm a big fan of Burberry frames. I buy them off Ebay and get the lenses from Pearle Vision or Lenscrafters. I'm going back to contacts full time soon.
Old 12-30-14, 09:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
60 Minutes - Luxottica. Do you know who makes your glasses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdq2rIqAlM
I knew it was bad, but not THAT bad. Yikes.
Old 12-30-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What do people really think Polo started up a glasses factory
Old 12-30-14, 10:05 AM
Banned

We have some friends who really, really like zenni. My wife wears her glasses all of the time (sometimes even in the shower or when sleeping! LOL), and she's going to try them out. As another poster mentioned (and according to our friends), you can get your distance apart measurements with a ruler.

Sadly, I just got a new pair of glasses from my optometrist before our friends mentioned that (prompted by my wearing my new glasses to church). I only wear them a few days a year...giving my eyes a break between switching out the monthly contact lenses...and my old glasses prescription was giving me headaches (probably about 10 years old). I asked for the cheapest pair they had, after which they literally pulled out a box from under the table (Lions-club style), and I picked a bare-bones pair of horn-rimmed dark glasses. Still cost me around $100.

Shoulda looked around online first...coulda have a V-8!
Old 12-30-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
So I wear glasses and have a few pairs. need an update of my prescription. therefore will buy probably one nice pair of frames with new prescription and then get lenses for my other frames...

where is the best place (ex. Walmart, grocery store, chain brand (Lenscrafters) or private practice place?

thanks.
costco
Old 12-30-14, 10:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
What do people really think Polo started up a glasses factory
No, but I don't think anyone expected that 27 major brands all come from a single factory in Italy (or wherever it was), or that the three largest retailers (LC, PV, and SH) are all owned and operated by that same corporation making the frames, or that Target and Sears are part of that same group.

But hooray for capitalism!
Old 12-30-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For something like glasses that have a very high barrier to entry it doesn't really surprise me. There's only been like three lens manufacturers for forever - Nikon, Essilor and Zeiss... I suppose I should count Transitions...

60 Minutes is SHOCKED by everything.
Old 12-30-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a horrible prescription, and ever since I can remember I have had a very hard time getting glasses that fit me right and do not give me a headache.

That said, I learned that all the specifications eXcentris quoted matter a whole lot, so much that even eye care 'professionals' mess them up

prescription, bridge, lens width, height, temple length and PD,
There is one critical setting (at least to me) that this list has missed, that is the base curve of the lens used. For some reason that no eye doctor or eye wear professional can explain to me, I am overly sensitive to the base curve of the lens. All other specification the same, if you move the base curve from 2 to 4 it changes everything for me (yes, same exact prescription) a base of 2 and I get a headache after an hour of having those glasses on, a 4 or a 4.5 and I am fine.

I had an eye care professional miss my PD by a .5 increment, that also gave me a headache and wasted HOURS of my life going back and forth as to why this was happening.

I have used eyebuydirect and coastal, both are awesome!

I have been able to order glasses, have them show up and be fine for me (which is totally shocking). You can put things like the base curve requirement in the other notes since most places don't ask for that. They usually confirm this by email since it is such an unusual setting for someone to ask for.

I cannot say the same for Costco, tried 3 times from them even after explaining in great detail what I needed and never got glasses that I could wear without a headache. (and I normally love Costco, that disappointed me)

In a pinch (like I have lost and or damaged both pairs of glasses I normally have) I use Hour Eyes in the mall for emergency replacement glasses. Here is the trick, get a cheap set of frames from walmart, then take them to hour eyes and have them use CR 39 plastic to make your lens. This outdated material is CHEAP even at the one hour place (usually $70 for the lenses, single vision) It's the fancy lenses that cost a ton, but for an emergency pair, who cares. Yes I get laughed at when I ask for it and I also get the hard sell into something else, but whatever.
Old 12-30-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We go to a local optometrist and get our glasses in-house with him. Decent selection and price and they take our insurance. Three people in my family wear glasses, but all 7 of us visit the doc.
Old 12-30-14, 05:00 PM

i went to BJ's and Walmart, were left unimpressed. hardly any selection and i really dig these Nike Flexon that i saw and tried on at a private practice firm. damn expensive though!
Old 12-30-14, 05:07 PM
Banned

I"m just scared of fucking up the prescription and all the details of size for it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.