Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you wear glasses, if so, where do you get them?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Do you wear glasses, if so, where do you get them?

Old 01-04-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 439 Posts
Re: Do you wear glasses, if so, where do you get them?

Clearly.ca

Just bought a pair, half the price of local shops.
Old 01-04-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 271 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

...If you have a complicated or higher level prescription, the charges to make the lenses less than an inch thick are a couple hundred bucks...
I feel your pain. Started wearing coke bottle glasses as a child, got into contacts as a teen, then finally saw the light of ultra high index lenses. Even then my Ray Ban Shooters are so thick at the edge I can't fold the temples more than 45 degrees.

Old 01-04-19, 03:19 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

I checked with my eye insurance (VSP) and it turns out the America's Best that I was going to go to in my neighborhood isn't an "in-network doctor," so I found a Pearle Vision nearby that will do the trick on Monday, instead. My insurance is pretty good, with up to $160 off glasses and I set aside plenty in an HSA anticipating getting glasses this year so if I find the right pair or two at Pearle, I'll go for it. Otherwise, I'll ask for my prescription and pop by Costco.
Old 01-04-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

Been using Zenni online for years and never had an issue and their prices are really good.
Old 01-07-19, 08:59 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

Great eye checkup, a good doctor, but wow, glasses are expensive. I mean, I set aside plenty of money in my HSA this year for this sort of thing, but wow. Turns out, they didn't have the kind of glasses I like but we called another Pearle Vision and they do. I called and got the lowdown, with my insurance discounts and copays and taxes, it would be ~$450 total, or ~$225 each for two pairs of glasses I know I want. Which sounds pretty good to me.

Ny hesitancy with going online to Zenni, etc. is I have a giant head. I mean, it's just plain big, even when I was a little skinny kid I was like a frickin' Tootsie Pop. So my glasses always bow out across my face. Not sure I'd find a good fit via online. Tips on making that work? If it does, I'd go for it.

Ultimately, maybe I'll do the Pearle pairs, then try out Zenni on the side.
Old 01-08-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Zenni glasses can be pretty crappy (you get what you pay for) for glasses you're going to wear all the time. You can look for frames with a frame that is around 130-140mm to fit your wide head. I generally like wide frames so I remember look on the site years ago and they had the measurements.
Old 01-08-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Ny hesitancy with going online to Zenni, etc. is I have a giant head. I mean, it's just plain big, even when I was a little skinny kid I was like a frickin' Tootsie Pop. So my glasses always bow out across my face. Not sure I'd find a good fit via online. Tips on making that work? If it does, I'd go for it.
Zenni posts Frame Width, Lens Width, Bridge, Temple Length, Lens Height, and Frame Weight for their frames. If you currently have frames that fit you, use the measurements from that frame to guide you. It's not difficult at all. I've ordered 4 or 5 pairs of glasses from Zenni over the years and have been happy each time. The glasses usually cost me under $35 delivered, usually within 2 weeks, and a few even included sunglass clip-ons. Highly recommended if you only need single vision lenses. Don't have any experience with progressives or bifocals.