Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Weight Training Vest

Old 12-10-14, 04:44 PM
Banned

Weight Training Vest

I jog a lot. I do races. I like to work out.

I know a little about Weight Training Vests but have never known anyone to have one. I'm attracted to getting one to help out my training for some races I got next year. There are so many varieties and prices, really insane.

I'm looking at a lot of them and they all seem nice but just wanted to see if anyone here ever used one. Maybe help me out what I should look for.
Old 12-10-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Weight Training Vest

You're attracted to getting one?
Old 12-10-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No one runs with them because they just improve your chances for injury. It changes your natural running stride which could also lead to trouble. Why introduce additional impact forces to your feet and joints? Run further and faster instead.
Old 12-10-14, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
That's what I was thinking. Snake sure is a horny motherfucker. Even weight training vests make him hard.
Old 12-10-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As I've gotten more into running I read a lot of the running magazines and read a lot of articles including training plans. I've never seen mention running with weights.

I have seen people use them in the gym. Especially if they doing a lot of body weight stuff like pull ups, push-ups, squats, etc. I'm not going to judge that, but seems to make a bit more send than running with one.
Old 12-10-14, 07:16 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Running with a vest or some other weight strapped to you sucks bc it bounces around. You might think it doesn't if you just run in place a little bit but with real forward strides, you're gonna feel it. You can try it for yourself with a backpack with some weights or text books. No matter how tight you have it attached, it will bounce.

If you really want resistance on your run, drag something behind you like a weighted sled or one of those little parachute things.
Old 12-10-14, 07:24 PM
Banned

I have seen on the Biggest Loser sometimes at the end of the season they will have the contestants wear weight vests equivalent to how much weight they have lost over the whole season. So if a contestant loses 200 lbs, they will literally strap 200 lbs of weights on the person.
Old 12-11-14, 06:36 AM

I've mainly seen them for "body weight" exercises not running. As mentioned I think the risk of injury is too great and I'm not sure I see the point. However, if you want one for the lifting/training and not the running I believe what you want to look for is something that distributes the weight over as much of the upper torso as possible. If you are doing a lot of ab exercises there are some that are just the upper chest, otherwise look for one that covers the entire torso. Lots of straps to help hold it in place and lots of little pockets to help you vary/distribute the weight as you want seems to be best. Start small w/ just adding a little weight (seem to recall people recommending rolled coins work well) and build up from there. Be careful w/ the exercises you do because even though it the attached to you the weight/vest is going to have it's own momentum in movement which may throw you off (again why I wouldn't recommend running w/ it but that's just me).
Old 12-11-14, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post

Just go to Amazon and read the reviews.
Old 12-11-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
I've mainly seen them for "body weight" exercises not running. As mentioned I think the risk of injury is too great and I'm not sure I see the point. However, if you want one for the lifting/training and not the running I believe what you want to look for is something that distributes the weight over as much of the upper torso as possible. If you are doing a lot of ab exercises there are some that are just the upper chest, otherwise look for one that covers the entire torso. Lots of straps to help hold it in place and lots of little pockets to help you vary/distribute the weight as you want seems to be best. Start small w/ just adding a little weight (seem to recall people recommending rolled coins work well) and build up from there. Be careful w/ the exercises you do because even though it the attached to you the weight/vest is going to have it's own momentum in movement which may throw you off (again why I wouldn't recommend running w/ it but that's just me).
I've used a weight vest for hiking. However, you're correct, they can be dangerous. I didn't start out with one, but rather than carrying 30lbs of water in containers in my backpack, I switched to one of these type of vests. Works really well. Can't say for other exercises, but for hiking/climbing, these help in certain requirements where you would want the extra weight and shifting of the weight so you can get a better balance.
Old 12-11-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HN View Post
Running with a vest or some other weight strapped to you sucks bc it bounces around. You might think it doesn't if you just run in place a little bit but with real forward strides, you're gonna feel it. You can try it for yourself with a backpack with some weights or text books. No matter how tight you have it attached, it will bounce.

If you really want resistance on your run, drag something behind you like a weighted sled or one of those little parachute things.
I can absolutely agree with this. I got one for running, and I used it for that purpose exactly once. The bouncing around was terrible. It had tons of straps, but nope, it doesn't help. Stick with it for weight training only.
Old 12-11-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just put some rocks in your rucksack like Fruity Rudy.
Old 12-11-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it would be ok to run with, however don't use it for distance running. If it's a short sprint exercise or a couple of reps of hill running that would be ok.
Old 12-11-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mir are the best... They are pricey, but trust me, if you go cheap on these it won't last long and it will be all over the place when you wear it. I have a Mir 40lbs short vest: http://www.mirweightedvest.com/short...hted-Vest.html and it works great. We have heavier ones at the gym and I'd love to get a 75 lbs. one but its a little too pricey for me.

You can absolutely run with these. Mine doesn't bounce or move around. Thats why you can't go cheap with them. No they aren't meant for long distance running (don't know why anyone would do this) but for sprints, hills, stairs or ruck marches they are great!
Old 12-11-14, 07:04 PM
Banned

nice. Yeah. I would never do distance in those. Fuck that. But for training it'd be great.