Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Indoor heater question

Old 12-07-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Indoor heater question

Well, in a larger townhouse this time - using all three floors, so it makes more sense to me to get a few smaller heaters for different rooms I use more often and close the air vents in the rooms that see less use - then I can turn down the overall temp on the system and still stay comfortable.

Soooo, I've found good thermal heaters, electric, mineral oil (mini-radiators), etc. Most rooms (and garage - gym) are no issues.

But for my bathroom...I've got a large room, but the central venting doesn't seem to heat it up much at all - and it seems a little slow trying to heat it up by blowing in air via small fan from the bedroom.

All the little heaters I've been looking over at Walmart (even ones with the special plugs) still say not to be used in bathrooms or laundry rooms. Are there any small heaters made specifically for bathroom use or should I just get one of the normal ones and be careful with it? I'm specifically planning on setting it up away from the tub/shower, closer to the toilet.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-07-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Indoor heater question

Not what you want to hear, but I'd have an HVAC guy come inspect the furnace and ductwork.

While it can be useful, closing off rooms can actually have a negative affect on the central heating/cooling system as it alters the airflow. For example, my daughter closes her bedroom door at night and it usually is the coldest room in the morning. There is no cold air return in her room, so the cold air does not have anywhere to escape to.

On the other end of the spectrum, I keep the vent in our main bathroom closed. When open, it blows across the bathroom and into the hallway ... The thermostat is in the hallway directly across from the bathroom door. (No, I didn't put it there.)

If you are set on a heater for the bathroom, you might look into a radiant heater which you could put outside the bathroom and aim it in. A radiant heater heats objects (which then release the heat) rather than the air. I would NOT recommend putting a space heater in the bathroom. You could look into a baseboard heater which is designed for bathrooms.
Old 12-13-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. The HVAC issue may be something I bring up with my landlord next year (some rooms definitely get more air than others when the system is running - although it could be a setting somewhere else too). Not a huge issue right now, but some comfort issues. I think I can swing things by keeping the heater outside and blowing in (little plastic heater fan - everything looks like it's perfect for something like a bathroom - except for the little warning at the bottom underneath everything else). I did reopen some of the other vents based on your suggestions. Not really sure about cost this month for the heat - system doesn't seem to be turning on or off more often.
Old 12-15-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Heater-.../dp/B005J2L9KY

First result for "space heater bathroom". I don't know if it is what you are looking for, or any restrictions.
Old 12-16-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Heater-.../dp/B005J2L9KY

First result for "space heater bathroom". I don't know if it is what you are looking for, or any restrictions.
Good catch. Honestly, I've been getting a lot of stuff from amazon, but all the heaters I was comparing were at walmart. Not sure why I didn't think about searching a little more online.