Reload this Page >

Kids are actually stupid enough to play Russian roulette? NOT FLORIDA

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-06-14, 10:43 AM
Banned

Teen dies playing Russian roulette

KOKOMO, Ind. (WISH) – A Kokomo teen is dead after an apparent one-man game of Russian roulette, according to the Miami County Sheriff’s Office.

On Thursday around 11:58 p.m. the Miami County Sheriff’s Department was dispatched to the report of a shooting in the 4500 block of West 1300 South Galveston. The call came in reporting that someone had shot themselves, according to 24-Hour News 8’s news partners at the Kokomo Tribune.

Police discovered a 17-year-old teen suffered from a single gunshot to the head. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

Following an investigation police found that the teenager was a guest in the home; several other teenagers were also present. The teens were in a bedroom playing video games when the deceased teen pulled out a gun.

Witnesses told police the teen was playing with the gun in a dangerous manner. One round was loaded in the gun. The teen spun the cylinder and fired one shot to his temple. The one round discharged, causing the fatal injury.

The Miami County Sheriff’s office, Indiana State Police and the Miami County Coroner’s office were investigating the case.
I thought Russian roulette was just an urban legend perpetuated by movies and TV. I had no idea kids were actually stupid enough to play it for real. Oh well, I guess this kid won himself a Darwin Award.

The news article also mentions the kids were playing video games when this happened. I wonder how long it will be for Fox News to hear of this and spin it into anti-video game propaganda.
Old 12-06-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Re: Kids are actually stupid enough to play Russian roulette? NOT FLORIDA

I wonder how long it will be for MSNBC to blame this on guns.
Old 12-06-14, 11:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I call bullshit on the "witnesses" saying he did it completely on his own. I'm guessing a few of them thought it'd be fun, then when the kid died, they agreed to blame it all on him.

Edit: Also, Russia. I blame Russia.
Old 12-06-14, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Teen dies playing Russian roulette

I thought Russian roulette was just an urban legend perpetuated by movies and TV. I had no idea kids were actually stupid enough to play it for real. Oh well, I guess this kid won himself a Darwin Award.

The news article also mentions the kids were playing video games when this happened. I wonder how long it will be for Fox News to hear of this and spin it into anti-video game propaganda.
The term was used long ago but as to whether it became "a thing" beyond popular media is hard to tell. Reading the history on it is interesting.

Wasn't this a thing in the news again like 10 years ago? I think it was kids too...
Old 12-06-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was expecting the big reveal to be that they were using an automatic and not a revolver. Kids these days.

BTW, just because the first guy is the loser does NOT mean he was the only one involved.
Old 12-06-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I wonder how long it will be for MSNBC to blame this on guns.
Right after FOX blames it on Obama. Then they will go back to their regular program of explaining why Santa has to be white.
Old 12-06-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If we promote firearm ownership accountability, these kids will just find some other way to play Russian Roulette.

Ooo. I have another one. It's GOOD that this kid killed himself. One less gun retard in the world. If only all gun thumpers followed suit.

More to come.
Old 12-06-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I call bullshit on the "witnesses" saying he did it completely on his own. I'm guessing a few of them thought it'd be fun, then when the kid died, they agreed to blame it all on him.
Maybe, but looking back on my own days of youth, I remember being in groups where one guy (unable to cope with not being the center of attention) would do dangerous stunts (jumping between buildings, dashing recklessly across a freeway...). They figure the odds are good enough that nothing will happen to them, or they're kids who are so hormonal they believe they don't care if they die or not. The attention and the legend of what a "cool guy" they are is worth the risk.

I think both scenarios (he did it on his own, it was a group thing) are equally plausible and only the kids will really know.
Old 12-06-14, 03:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
If we promote firearm ownership accountability, these kids will just find some other way to play Russian Roulette.

Ooo. I have another one. It's GOOD that this kid killed himself. One less gun retard in the world. If only all gun thumpers followed suit.

More to come.
How about, "Damn, I thought I was dumb when I was a kid!"
Old 12-07-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The odds of winning Russian Roulette are pretty slim to begin with. Playing one man Russian Roulette REALLY stacks the odds in the house's favor.