Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Reports: Carry-on ban considered in light of terror threat

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-04-14, 08:54 AM

Came across this while going through some email/news clips, thought people might be interested.

http://www.turnto10.com/story/275365...-terror-threat

A terrorist threat to blow up European planes has security experts in the United States and the United Kingdom considering a ban on all carry-on luggage and electronic devices in the cabin, according to reports in both countries.

Citing security experts, Britain's Express newspaper reported that al-Qaida terrorists are threatening to bring down five passenger jets bound for European cities before Christmas.

While the threat is apparently aimed at Europe, the U.S. is also considering ways to improve airline security.

NPR reported that American officials have been aware of the alleged plot, but could not say how far along it is.

Both countries have been discussing ways to prevent the attacks, including an outright ban on all carry-on bags. It's not clear how the airlines would respond to such a drastic measure.

Another possibility is prohibiting electronic devices in the passenger cabin. All electronics would be stowed with checked bags in the cargo hold, the thought being that the screening process for checked bags is more rigorous.
Fortunately I'm not flying this year for the holidays but if this were to go through I suspect it is going to cause a lot of problems/confusion/delays.
Old 12-04-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Reports: Carry-on ban considered in light of terror threat

So airlines would lose carry on bag fees but would get to charge you out the ass for entertainment because you couldn't bring electronics on board.

Flying is getting worse and worse all the time.
Old 12-04-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only way to completely prevent an attack is to stop letting people fly altogether.

I would say I'd love to see them try this, but people have to fly so it'll go through. It's already a place I have to take my shoes off for absolutely no reason. Yet I do it without complaint.

It'll be fun when they lose your bag with your cell phone in it.
Old 12-04-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Time to look into the operating costs for a site that offers certificates for emotional support electronics...for a fee.
Old 12-04-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or the laptop you need for that work meeting you're flying to.
Old 12-04-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If that passes I think I'd just be done flying commercial, I know enough pilots that I can pool resources and get there a different way.

Alas, I don't think it'll pass.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-04-14 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-04-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fuck this idea. And fuck flying, then.

An absolutely outstandingly great idea during the best time of our American Economy, too.

Time to call The Smithsonian Museum to start moving airplanes to their new home.

security experts in the United States
We don't have security experts in the US. That's our entire problem. Knee-jerk reactions to whoever farts in the wind a certain way.

What next. A guy blows up a car in the US...and then we'll have the intelligent idea to ban cars from all federal roads and only bicycles to those locations.

[cue Portland, OR Mayor cheering]

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 12-04-14 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-04-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Not sure how we can implement this and say we are "winning the war against terror" with a straight face.
Old 12-04-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We have plenty of security experts in the USA, they just don't align with our best financial interests and get overturned.
Old 12-04-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd assume that electronic devices wouldn't be banned from the flights, but banned from anywhere past TSA checkpoints. Unless metal detectors or pat-downs will be part of the boarding process, too.

I'd love to see the reaction of travelers when a flight delay is announced and they can't pull out their cell phones to tell the person they're meeting about it.

Whoever makes and operates pay-phones must love this idea.
Old 12-04-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At this point I'm surprised the airlines don't just make people sign liability waivers and have people fly at their own risk rather than banning everything under the sun.

Flying could be like a new version of Russian Roulette. Is the plane you're getting on going to explode this time? Nobody know, that's part of the fun!
Old 12-04-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I travel for work and I don't see this happening, even if they wanted.

I always check bags. However I aways carry my work backpack that includes a high end laptop, 4g hot spot thing, digital camera, work papers including ID, etc. I then include my personal iPad, personal camera, etc. I easily carry $2,500-$3,000 worth of stuff. Not to mention the data/software on the work computer that would be exposed (it is a nightmare of paperwork when some loses or has stolen a laptop).

The airline would not want to be responsible for all that.

Can you imagine the uproar if a bank exec was flying and the airline lost his company laptop with customer information on it.

I exclusively travel for work. We get notices of changes in travel. I've heard nothing about this. Not saying it's false, but this is huge.
Old 12-04-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Or medicine. Or baby formula. Or any of a hundred things that I would never want to put in my checked luggage. This is asinine.
Old 12-04-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I travel internationally for vacation every year and I cannot see banning carry on luggage for international flights. It would be a horrendous inconvenience and disaster.
Old 12-04-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I travel internationally for vacation every year and I cannot see banning carry on luggage for international flights. It would be a horrendous inconvenience and disaster.
So in other words...air travel.
Old 12-04-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If I'm traveling on a 14 hour flight to Hong Kong or 16 hour flight to Sydney, I usually bring some magazines, travel books and maybe my Ipad to keep myself occupied. Business people I see all the time bring on their laptops to do their work. I know families with small children sometimes bring diapers, formula and maybe even a change of clothes for their small kids.

I've seen people bring absolutely obscene sized carry ons, which are almost the size of a full checked in bag and maybe I can see them being more strict with that.

Banning personal items/carry ons just doesn't seem logistically feasible, especially for international long flight travelers.
Old 12-04-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As long as they don't ban Emotional Support Pets, I am OK with this....although once the terrorists plant a bomb in a Chihuahua, that may be banned as well.
Old 12-04-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Calm down everyone. It's not like they are banning anxiety pigs

Fuck. Beaten to the punch line.
Old 12-04-14, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
We get notices of changes in travel. I've heard nothing about this. Not saying it's false, but this is huge.
So far it was mostly secondary sources that have been reporting this. If it wasn't for the fact I trust the original source I got it from (a security related news letter) I probably wouldn't have even bothered passing it on. I got the impression that so far it was discussed more seriously in the UK. Frankly I don't see it working either place (US or UK).
Old 12-04-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Next stop -- Internment Camps! "It's for everyone's safety"

Personally I don't think they can ever get away with this again - passengers like myself would risk my own life to stop one of these guys.. because if I fail.. I will be dead anyway.

In the past we were told to obey - you will live and the US will come and save you.. now you know you are going to die - so fight !!
Old 12-04-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
Next stop -- Internment Camps! "It's for everyone's safety"

Personally I don't think they can ever get away with this again - passengers like myself would risk my own life to stop one of these guys.. because if I fail.. I will be dead anyway.

In the past we were told to obey - you will live and the US will come and save you.. now you know you are going to die - so fight !!
Well, securing the pilots was probably the best step in making sure the boxcutter/weapon thing didn't happen again. In this case, if a guy snuck a bomb in to blow up the plane (as opposed to using it to blackmail the people to divert the plane somewhere else) I'm not sure there's anything a passenger could do.

But it does seem like all they need to do is issue a bunch of threats to make us react.
Old 12-04-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there anything stopping an airline or airport from completely opting out of TSA/DOT screenings and banned items?

Hypothetically, if some investors wanted to start "No-Fuss Airlines" and operate between NY and LA (in their own terminals or their own airports) and they wanted to tell potential customers that nobody will have to partially disrobe or put up with body cavity searches or anal probes; that nobody will have to fret about whether or not their tube of toothpaste is one ounce too big; that all you need to board the plane is a ticket and that's it, could they do it?

And if they could, would that airline really be a huge terrorist target? It seems to me that the terrorists have more interest in getting people where they think they're already safe. Do they want to bomb the plane where everybody already took a huge risk? Or do they want to bomb the plane after everybody's gone through lots of security theater?

I don't think it would be that difficult to get a bomb on a train. There are some security measures in place at the big train stations, but the smaller stations have nothing. Part of me thinks that the reason no US trains have been bombed is because it's just too easy. If we really start putting more security theater around the train system, wouldn't that make trains a more attractive target?
Old 12-04-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, the FAA would never let them.

And if authorities really want to kill the airline industry, then they should move full speed towards this idea of banning carry-ons and electronics from the cabin. Alienate the high dollar business travelers who don't check bags for time reasons, and need to use laptops etc to work on flights, and the whole house of cards comes crumbling down. Leisure travelers who wouldn't really be inconvenienced by this don't bring in nearly enough money to keep things running.

Also, li-ion batteries are dangerous in unmonitored baggage compartments, so putting all the laptops down there is just as counter-productive as this stupid idea.
Old 12-04-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Screw airplanes. I want bullet trains. A national network of bullet trains.
Old 12-04-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Screw airplanes. I want bullet trains. A national network of bullet trains.
Agreed! Why make terrorist buy a plane ticket when they can just walk right up to the tracks to detonate a bomb for free?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.