Emotional Support Animals

Other Talk "Otterville"

Emotional Support Animals

Old 12-02-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Emotional Support Animals

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Everyone is going to the extreme examples. The one I have had experience with (the woman who brings a small dog with her to our show) has been anything but extreme. I've been in a relatively small space with this person on many occasions and it was only after looking directly at her that I noticed she even had the dog in her lap.

According to this thread, she's got a "wild, untrained, stinky" animal with her and shouldn't have left the house. I've had adults in our studio who were 10x as disruptive as this dog I barely noticed.

So here we are with a system that appears to provide some benefit to this woman and has zero effect on the people around her yet because someone else was inconsiderate with their animal, the whole system is flawed.

I do not get it. Which is a running theme in this forum lately. Lots of pissed off dudes around here.
If a business wants to allow customers to bring pets with them, that's their decision. If a business wants to adopt a no-pets policy but make an exception for one specific customer & one specific dog, that's their decision. I just don't agree that all businesses should be forced to cater to any customer with any animal just because they paid for a letter from a sketchy doctor.
Old 12-02-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 775 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
If a business wants to allow customers to bring pets with them, that's their decision. If a business wants to adopt a no-pets policy but make an exception for one specific customer & one specific dog, that's their decision. I just don't agree that all businesses should be forced to cater to any customer with any animal just because they paid for a letter from a sketchy doctor.
Why is your automatic assumption that it's from a sketchy doctor?

If this animal was loud and disruptive, of course...they have to leave. Just like a loud and disruptive person (who hey, maybe is on meds from a sketchy doc!)

I try not to immediately assume the worst thing possible in people.
Old 12-02-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is your automatic assumption that it's from a sketchy doctor?

If this animal was loud and disruptive, of course...they have to leave. Just like a loud and disruptive person (who hey, maybe is on meds from a sketchy doc!)

I try not to immediately assume the worst thing possible in people.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...0/pets-allowed

If you want to turn your pet into a certified E.S.A., all you need is a therapist type who will vouch for your mental un-health. Don’t have one? Enter “emotional-support animal” into Google and take your pick among hundreds of willing professionals. Through a site called ESA Registration of America, I found a clinical social worker in California who, at a cost of a hundred and forty dollars, agreed to evaluate me over the phone to discuss the role of Augustus, the snake, in my life. To prepare for the session, I concocted a harrowing backstory: When I was six, I fell into a pond and almost drowned. There was a snake in the water that I grabbed on to just before I was rescued by my father, and, ever since, I’d found comfort in scaly vertebrates.

“Now, let’s talk about your problems,” the therapist said, in the sort of soothing voice you might use when speaking to someone who has one day to live. “What’s your snake’s name?”

“Augustus,” I said.

“How does Augustus help you with your problems?”

“How far back should I go?” I asked, itching to tell my story about the pond.

“Just the last six months,” she said.

“Um, he provides unconditional love, and I feel safe when he’s around,” I said. “He’s a good icebreaker, too, if I’m feeling shy.”

“You want to have more ease outside the house,” the therapist summed up. “Now I want to do a generalized-anxiety screening with you,” she said. “In the last fourteen days, have you felt anxious or on edge nearly every day, more than seven days, or less than seven days?”

“I’d say around seven,” I replied. Using the same parameters, she asked me to rate my worrying, trouble relaxing, ability to sit still, irritability, and dread that something awful might happen. The next day, I received the following e-mail:

Hi Patricia:

It was my pleasure to speak to you today.

Attached is your ESA letter.

Enjoy the benefits of having your dog (sic) with you more now.

All the best,
Yeah, this sounds like a process that's totally legit.

And if I was that woman who comes to your show with a small lap dog that nobody even notices, I'd be offended that it's ridiculously easy to abuse this system.
Old 12-02-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

www.thedogtor.net

This is blatantly marketed as a way for pet owners to buy a loophole to get around a potential landlord's "no pets" policy.

Funny how thinking that is all a crock of shit means I have "rage issues" who "automatically thinks the worst of all people."
Old 12-02-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 649 Likes on 454 Posts

Are there people that distressed they need emotional support from an animal? Sure. Are there people that emotionally unstable that they need to take a flight with their animal? I guess. Just guessing but the number of people that fit this description is infinitesimal.

This is nothing more than an entitlement issue and nothing more. They can't bear the thought that their precious is in the cargo hold. So I guess in this scenario, the animal is the passenger and the person is the emotional support being.

Pet people just can't stand the thought that other people want nothing to do with their animals. We get it, they are the center of your world, not hours. Non service animals don't belong on flights.

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
About the same as one who brings an infant with an ear infection? I mean, give me a break.
Comparing a human child to an animal?

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
If something impacts your health (see: allergies), people tend to make accommodations.
Well there you go. We all need to just declare allergies to whatever animal is on the flight. If someone can make up a malady so their pet can sit with them then I can make up one to try and remove them from the plane. Right?
Old 12-02-14, 08:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why does your right not to be near a pig outweigh her right to have a pig with her?
When the pig defecates on the floor of the plane! I'd say everyone has the right to a flight without barnyard animal shit in the cabin.
Old 12-02-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 569 Likes on 459 Posts

This is just a result of political correctness and rampant entitlement in America today. It upsets me that people can break the rules and claim disability and / or "emotional support issues" and possibly impact my health by their animal's unsanitary shit / piss / odors etc...
It's a health hazard, period!

If this seeming reasonable viewpoint makes me an angry, extreme person with issues, I just don't get why my opinion is that unpopular...
Old 12-02-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh noes! Not THE RULES! Somebody is BREAKING them! Lordy, Lordy -- I have the vapors!

Seriously, life is full of people doing things that I don't necessarily agree with. I get over it. I don't demand they conform to what I want.
Old 12-02-14, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does your right not to be near a pig outweigh her right to have a pig with her?
Apply that same logic to smoking.
Old 12-02-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously, life is full of people doing things that I don't necessarily agree with. I get over it. I don't demand they conform to what I want.
Then how do you make the world perfect for you? Isn't that the whole point of existence!?!?
Old 12-02-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Apply that same logic to smoking.
I was never bothered by being around second-hand smoke, but there are well-documented adverse health effects of second-hand smoke. Not so for second-hand pig.
Old 12-02-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 219 Posts

"It was my pleasure to speak to you today.

All the best"

How or why does (sic) apply there?
Old 12-02-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony View Post

All the best"

In case your emotional support animal is Xzibit:

Old 12-02-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All the best"

Old 12-02-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts

Why does my right to fly naked with a boner outweigh her right to not have to look at me?

We could play this game all day long.
Old 12-02-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Why does my right to fly naked with a boner outweigh her right to not have to look at me?

I actually spent all day yesterday playing the "I'm naked with a boner and a pig" game, so I'm going to take a pass.
Old 12-02-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone is going to the extreme examples. The one I have had experience with (the woman who brings a small dog with her to our show) has been anything but extreme. I've been in a relatively small space with this person on many occasions and it was only after looking directly at her that I noticed she even had the dog in her lap.
It's hilarious that someone out at a show has a support animal. I know when I am so filled with debilitating anxiety, agoraphobia, and generally incapable of being in public so much so that I need to get a "doctor's" written approval for a support mechanism, the next logical thought that occurs to me is that I should go out to a show. That makes complete sense. I'd bet real money that this lady was enjoying herself and being quite sociable. Thank god she had that chihuahua there or I bet she never would have been able to leave the house. I'm completely sure that it has nothing to do with her just being an attention hound with an inflated sense of self-importance.

Makes you wonder how the human race has survived half a million years without such animals. Thank goodness we finally discovered the amazing powers of a pig buddy in the last 4 or 5 years.
Old 12-03-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 569 Likes on 459 Posts

Aren't ordinances meant to do the most good for most of the people, most of the time? Is that concept now obsolete in a PC-obsessed, look at me!!!!, entitled society that America has become today?

We can argue philosophical concepts all day long, but in the end, "emotional support animals" is a provision / loophole that inconveniences many for the comfort of a few. Sure we can get on with our lives and ignore such things, but that'll only encourage more of the same, creating more and more "background noise" and general discontent as time goes on.

Where do we draw the line in 2014? It's no longer the 1950s, but this shit is getting out of hand...
Old 12-03-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't actually care about these animals one way or another. I do think it's interesting how worked up others seem to get by them though.

And I guarantee I have sat next to worse-smelling and more disruptive people on a plane than that pig from the original article.
Old 12-03-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All the best"

(sic) applies because she called a phony doctor to get a note for her emotional support snake. The phony doctor couldn't even be bothered to spend more than two seconds to change her boilerplate bullshit letter to indicate the correct animal.
Old 12-03-14, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a great point. I'm sure there are plenty of "emotionally disabled" flyers that might feel a little less nervous if they just pulled out their junk and started playing with themselves.

If phony doctors notes can give pet lovers a free pass to bring their animals with them, why can't serial masturbaters do the same thing? "sorry, I have a letter from a doctor saying my penis is an 'emotional support organ.' Denying me the right to pleasure myself in public is discrimination against the disabled."

I wouldn't want fellow airline passengers to masturbate on the plane. I guess I have "rage issues" who "demands the rest of the world conforms" to my crazy belief that public masturbation isn't socially acceptable.
Old 12-03-14, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

I wish I could be sitting next to some of these animals on a plane instead of a fat human who takes up the entire armrest.

FYI: I use to have an emotional support animal, a snake called Sammy, who really helped me overcome my fear of flying. Sadly I had to stop taking him on planes ever since since that loud fuck Samuel L Jackson started mouthing off years ago.
Old 12-03-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Personally, if people were bringing dogs and pigs on the plane I would be pretty happy. Who doesn't like a dog or pig? You people are so miserable around here lately.
Old 12-03-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
That's a great point.
It really isn't.
Old 12-03-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It really isn't.
Why not?

Are you saying that it's perfectly reasonable for one person's "emotional disability" to be mitigated by having a barnyard animal present, but it's not reasonable for another person's "emotional disability" to be mitigated by masturbation?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.