Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Pregnant beggar in San Diego caught driving off in Mercedes Benz

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-12-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- A pregnant woman and her young son seen begging for money in a San Diego shopping center parking lot were caught driving off in a Mercedes-Benz.

Melissa Smith told sister station KGTV she saw the panhandler and her son at Eastlake Village Center every weekend for two months. The woman's boyfriend would join them on the weekend, she said.

"I felt bad. There's a pregnant lady with a little boy who is down on her luck," Smith said.

The woman would hold a cardboard sign that said "please help," and plenty of people did.

"Lots of people gave them money. Probably five people in five minutes gave them money," Smith said.

Smith said she was getting gas when she saw the couple at the usual spot.

"They were leaving and I noticed they went into a Mercedes Benz. I thought, 'Wow, a Mercedes Benz?'" said Smith, who noted the car appeared to be new.

Smith shook her head and got in her car to drive away.

"Lo and behold, they were in front of us. Here they are counting money, laughing. Their little boy is not in a car seat or a seat belt. He's all the way in the front seat with them," Smith said.

Smith watched them drive to a McDonald's at another plaza on Bonita Road.

"She sits there with the sign. He goes (and) parks the Mercedes. They put up the sign and not less than five minutes, here she is getting money from all these people," Smith said.

Smith took pictures of the woman and boy at the new location. The woman spotted her, got angry and started yelling, Smith said.

"Next thing I know, she picked up this big boulder," Smith said, "I don't know if pregnant people can do that, but it was pretty big over her head and coming at me with this rock."

Another witness saw the entire incident and called 911.

"She grabs her little boy and takes off through the middle of the parking lot," Smith said.

A Chula Vista Police Department spokesman told KGTV that the couple had left before they arrived. Smith gave police the license plate number to the Mercedez-Benz.

That license plate number led to an Encinitas apartment complex called Encinitas Heights Apartments. Residents said rent is $2,500 a month.

The resident of the Encinitas home responded to KGTV's requests for comment, but said she had just moved in. The couple living there before had recently picked up and left.

Smith said she wants people to know about this couple before they find a new place to panhandle with whom she believes to be their son.

"I feel bad. Don't give these people money. They don't need it. They're driving a Benz," Smith said.

KGTV contributed to this report.

What is this woman getting out of begging & scamming everyone? Plus using her kid as a prop as well.

Shit like this is why I pretty never give panhandlers money. Pretty pathetic that someone would use panhandling to scam people on their emotions. I'm sure more will try to do this during the Holidays.
Old 11-12-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Pregnant beggar in San Diego caught driving off in Mercedes Benz

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
What is this woman getting out of begging & scamming everyone?
A brand new Mercedes?
Old 11-12-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's what you guys get for giving money to street beggars.
Old 11-12-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
A brand new Mercedes?
Ok, that and it's tax free income. Hopefully the IRS watched that report.

Guess she needed the extra cash to afford that $2,500 per month apartment rent in that report. And that was a nice place too.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-12-14 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-12-14, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see stories like this all the time. Anymore I just assume these people have a Cadillac Escalade parked around the corner.

I watched one news report where they stuck a pretty woman on the corner to beg and she made like $60 in an hour. $60 an hour with no taxes for doing absolutely nothing makes for a pretty good workday.
Old 11-12-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We used to call La Jolla the plastic capital of the world. Shit's expensive in SD and you can even find folks in fancy cars with a shitload of debt or homeless. I love my SD, love it so much I ended up in Florida
Old 11-12-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When I lived in San Diego, I saw similar instances where a family begging by a shopping plaza came out of a big SUV. Not that it was a SD specific thing, but I wasn't surprised; i've always heard that many street beggars these days aren't really poor and just do it because they make good money.
Old 11-12-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Despicable, amoral individuals, needless to say.
Old 11-12-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She's probably not even preggers!
Old 11-12-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a free for all now. I see one at every intersection if not a few at busy 4-way intersections.
Most have what I would call, descent clothing and look clean. Most are just out to make some spare money.
Few months back I saw this lady, and what I would assume is her mother, who was in a wheelchair, with a sign at the intersection. Well one day I was across the way waiting for the light and saw them packing up and walk across the street towards me, to a truck, put the wheelchair in the back, and walk into the In-N-Out Burger where the truck was parked. Free lunch day.
Old 11-12-14, 11:03 PM
Suspended

Never quite understand why people get riled up about this. A beggar by its definition is begging something for nothing, whether deservingly or otherwise. Just because one beggar is able to get $60/hour or $6,000/hour, why would it make that individual more despicable? He/She didn't put a gun in people's head, he/she didn't force people to give. EVERYONE gave at their free will. And that each giver received fair value in exchange, the philosophical "Attaboy" or "What a nice person I am".

I mean what would you want instead? An audit of each beggar for his/her deservingness before you give? If this beggar used to live a lifestyle of $32k/year, then once this person hit that limit, the beggar should no longer be able to accept money? The simple fact is people give not because whether the recipient deserve it or not, but that's a gesture of good will. If you only give after having assessed the recipient deservingness, you're robbing yourself the pleasure in giving. You shouldn't give at all.
Old 11-12-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually this is a non-story. I think it is kind of weird for someone to chase down this beggar and confront her. It's life, people lie all the time. Just don't give and move on. What do they want a brownie point for exposing this beggar? They want to be on the TV news as some kind of hero? I think it just odd. It's a non-event.
Old 11-12-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only thing that surprises me about stories like this is that people are actually surprised when they find out these panhandlers are full of shit. Who the hell doesn't already know that? I saw this all the time when I lived in LA. You could barely walk out the door without being asked for money.

I don't give money to anyone. Problem solved.
Old 11-13-14, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never give homeless people money. I always have food with me so I give them food. One homeless person asking for help told me I looked like I needed the apple more than he did and declined it. 9 out of 10 people decline the food. If I'm at a market I'll go in and come out with some bread, peanut butter, and apples and give it to them.

They have known spots here in town where they scam people, i.e. at a local Smith' which is where I shop.
Old 11-13-14, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
Never quite understand why people get riled up about this. A beggar by its definition is begging something for nothing, whether deservingly or otherwise. Just because one beggar is able to get $60/hour or $6,000/hour, why would it make that individual more despicable? He/She didn't put a gun in people's head, he/she didn't force people to give. EVERYONE gave at their free will. And that each giver received fair value in exchange, the philosophical "Attaboy" or "What a nice person I am".

I mean what would you want instead? An audit of each beggar for his/her deservingness before you give? If this beggar used to live a lifestyle of $32k/year, then once this person hit that limit, the beggar should no longer be able to accept money? The simple fact is people give not because whether the recipient deserve it or not, but that's a gesture of good will. If you only give after having assessed the recipient deservingness, you're robbing yourself the pleasure in giving. You shouldn't give at all.
This. From what I read of the article, there was no scam and nothing illegal other than the complainant potentially stalking the family. I'm also curious how a TV station runs somebody's license plates.

Don't get me wrong. I find this reprehensible (particularly involving your child), however I don't see anything illegal here. The lady didn't claim any specific need or debilitation. She just had a sign saying "Please help." Anything beyond that is on the idiots who give her (or others) money and encourage this behavior.

"Next thing I know, she picked up this big boulder," Smith said, "I don't know if pregnant people can do that, but it was pretty big over her head and coming at me with this rock."
Yeah, rocket scientist, apparently they can.

I was hoping for a better headline. Something like "Pregger Beggar Buggers Bigger Bagger"

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-13-14 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-13-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly: I miss San Diego. The last time I was there was for Comic-con 2011. Prior to that I was in Pont Loma. Loved it. I had a threesome there.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 11-13-14 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-13-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Our neighbor has a Mercedes. It's a piece of crap. When it finally breaks down completely, he won't be able to afford to fix it.
Old 11-13-14, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Honestly: I miss San Diego. The last time I was there was for Comic-con 2011. Prior to that I was in Pont Loma. Loved it. I had a threesome there.
Just curious, how long did you have to beg on a street corner to get that threesome?
Old 11-13-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Will only bang 9s and 10s."
Old 11-13-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak View Post
Just curious, how long did you have to beg on a street corner to get that threesome?
2 days is industry standard but 3 days is kind of money
Old 11-13-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care, I always try to give a few bucks to the guys standing at the top of the offramps around here, they generally at least look the part, like they've actually been on the road. Even if panhandling is their "job", could you deal with standing around all day in the elements begging? I'm nice and safe here in my office, I can spare a few bucks here and there.

And I'll just leave this here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postev...p-food-stamps/
Old 11-13-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I think people like this are in the minority, I still don't give money to panhandlers. I will give money to people that are obviously homeless, although it isn't very often. While the ones I give money to could be scamming me, they are going the full effort. I see them sleeping on the street, digging through trash for a bite to eat, not just standing at an intersection hoping for a handout.
Old 11-13-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
The only thing that surprises me about stories like this is that people are actually surprised when they find out these panhandlers are full of shit. Who the hell doesn't already know that? I saw this all the time when I lived in LA. You could barely walk out the door without being asked for money.

I don't give money to anyone. Problem solved.
This. Definitely this.

If you're holding a sign, you don't get my dime

But really, this is just another way to make money. It's tax free, you work your own hours, and you can wear whatever you want. I'm not sure why the notion of begging for money assumes the person is poor. This was maybe true 50 years ago, but even then, I'd imagine we'd have folks who lived thousands of years ago, doing the same thing. Of course, if caught, the community would have crucified them and sold their kids into slavery, but that's another topic.

Originally Posted by Car Stereotypes
"I feel bad. Don't give these people money. They don't need it. They're driving a Benz," Smith said.
Ever priced a new Toyota Camry? Ever priced a new car in general?

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-13-14 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-13-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Used Benzes are CHEAP in the US. Luxury cars lose their value so fast it's ridiculous.
Old 11-13-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I was hoping for a better headline. Something like "Pregger Beggar Buggers Bigger Bagger"
+1 and repped!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.