Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Do you still read Sunday comics?

Old 11-11-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you still read Sunday comics?

I got into a discussion with a friend about how the excitement of the Sunday paper seems gone now. He mentioned how you can look at ads online now and the other big bonus of the Sunday comics seemed to have diminished. Then I looked at my comics and I realized he was right. It used to be about four pages, now it's only two.

Then I went to my yearly trip to Islands of Adventure and was walking through Toon Lagoon and thought about how mist likely kids today had no idea who Flash Gordon, Mandrake, The Phantom, Beetle Bailey and others were.

So do you still read them and do you think they are dieing?
Old 11-11-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Do you still read Sunday comics?

The comic page was dying long before the newspapers were on their last legs.

The comic strips are all terrible. Awful art, recycled gags. There have been a few bright spots post-Watterson (like the wonderfully illustrated Mutts), but for the most part, I can't imagine why anyone talented would try and produce a syndicated comic strip these days.

I see a lot of amazing stuff in web comics, but in the newspapers? Nah.
Old 11-11-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can't remember the last time I read the Sunday comics. It's probably been years.
Old 11-11-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I quit taking the paper several years ago. Our local paper was bought out and Gatehouse (I think that is the right company) gutted it of all local jobs and local flavor. If it went back to being a local paper with a full-fledged local presence, I would go back to subscribing.

As for the actual question, I'll agree the Sunday paper was mainly about the ads and the comics. The comics had really dwindled in quality. I would read them because they were quick, but there were only a few that I was interested in on a regular basis. It's been so long I couldn't even tell you which ones.

Print media as a whole is dying, not just comics.

Now, if they would publish Drinkman comics ... All in.
Old 11-11-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Only one i read is FoxTrot and that is online.
Old 11-11-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. After Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County, and The Far Side ended, there was nothing worth reading in the comics section, Sunday or otherwise.
Old 11-11-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I quit taking the paper several years ago. Our local paper was bought out and Gatehouse (I think that is the right company) gutted it of all local jobs and local flavor.....
Hey, that's my employer...
Old 11-11-14, 11:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Nope. After Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County, and The Far Side ended, there was nothing worth reading in the comics section, Sunday or otherwise.
I mostly agree with you; but Pearls Before Swine is close to those in quality and a near daily read for me.
Old 11-11-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I still read them with Sunday morning breakfast. There are some strips I gave up on like "Peanuts" but some that I go to like Fox Trot.

Still something fun to do on the weekend.
Old 11-11-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I canceled the Sunday paper 3-4 years ago.

However, my new Pogo Volume #3 just arrived, so I'll be reading some classic Sunday cartoons.
Old 11-11-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still read Luann, Fox Trot, Frazz, and Candorville.
Old 11-11-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took a 1-month trial subscription to the Sunday paper recently. It wasn't just the comics. The whole Sunday paper seemed to be lacking, at least from what I remember from many years ago.
Old 11-11-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last time I read the Sunday comics on a regular basis the comics had become less and less funny and were actually depressing. I seem to remember Crankshaft aged the characters so much that he retired from driving his school bus and his friends were starting to develop shit like Alzheimer's and were dying off. Reading a comic strip that went on multiple week stories about visiting nursing homes or attending funerals just wasn't fun anymore.

Get Fuzzy still cracks me up though.
Old 11-11-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm only reading classic comics now. It's hard to keep up with everything that Fantagraphics and LOAC are releasing, not to mention the other companies that are producing quality releases.
Old 11-11-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What is this thing called 'newspaper'?

But yeah, no, haven't read them with regularity since I lived at my mother's house in the mid-'80s.
Old 11-11-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still do, along with the daily comics page. Besides the opinions above on the strips themselves, the way the L.A. Times has shrunk and mangled the strips makes it even more difficult to enjoy. Where they used to be fully across the page, they are now crammed into a small area with another strip running vertically next to it. Here's the current FIRST PAGE line-up: Doonesbury, Get Fuzzy, Pearls Before Swine, La Cucaracha, Lio, and Dilbert. All stuffed onto one page in a glorious four-color display of eye-squinting illustration. But I read 'em this way because I know that - sooner than I expect - I won't be able to.
Old 11-11-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post
Hey, that's my employer...
I'm sorry. Hopefully they treat you better than they did the people in Springfield.
Old 11-11-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I still read Fox Trot when I can...most underrated strip ever.

They used to put out a yearly desk calendar and then stopped. I emailed the company once and asked them why and got a personal reply from Bill Amend saying "Sadly, Shannon, you were the only one buying it."
Old 11-11-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sometimes find the Sunday paper in the break room at work, left by the weekend crew. It still carries Uncle Art's Funland. But sadly, no longer has Orphan Annie. They finally canceled her.

Old 11-11-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
since the mid-'80s.
this
Old 11-12-14, 07:44 AM
Banned

Still read but miss the days of full-page Prince Valiant & lots of adventure strips (Dick Tracy, Phantom, Flash Gordon, Mandrake, Tarzan, etc.).

Our local Sunday section was pretty good until two years ago. Then the section shrank by 1/3 (from six pages down to four). Dropped Rose is Rose, Doonesbury, Pickles, Phantom, Non Sequitur, and a whole bunch of favorites. At least we get a decent balance (some of the dropped strips still appear in dailies and vice-versa). Have to get daily Get Fuzzy on the net. For a small town paper, our offering is pretty good (full two-column page of dailies).

The consolation is that we're in the Golden Age of Comic Strip reprints. Thought I'd never get to read Russ Manning's great Tarzan run, and now only Vol. 4 remains to finish that.

I still like the modern Prince Valiant when it's collected in book form. Schultz, Gianni, Yeates have done a pretty nice homage to Hal Foster (who can never be equaled).
Old 11-12-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Up until last year there used to always be some Sunday papers laying around at work. Even for free, I found the quality and quantity of the comics to be terrible. Kind of sad because I remember what a big deal the Sunday newspaper was for my family when I was growing up. Oh well, as Bob Dylan said, "Genghis Khan and his brother Don couldn't keep on keeping on. "
Old 11-12-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I stopped following newspaper comics when I went to college. I tried to pick it up again when Berkeley Breathed did his last resurrection of Bloom County, but Opus didn't have the charm of the earlier series, and the only other comics of interest were Boondocks and the Peanuts reprints.

Now excuse me, I have the first two volumes of Fantagraphics' Don Rosa Library sitting here.
Old 11-12-14, 12:46 PM

The New York Times doesn't have a comics section, so, no.
Old 11-12-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still read the occasional strip on a weekly basis.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.