Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Roof replacement

Old 11-07-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Roof replacement

Im getting a smell in my house that smells like damp wood. I have no idea how old my roof is. It has a lot of steep angles so roofers can't just walk on it. They want to tear it off and put a whole new roof on. 3 layers and the original ceder layer which is where the smell is coming from. The contractor quoted $12,660 this includes new gutters, one of which i know needs replacing. Adding more roof vents.

The ice builds up on it in the winter in the 'valley'.

Is this super high or reasonable?
Old 11-07-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Roof replacement

Roofing pricing is based on "square" which is a 10x10 area or 100 Square feet. It is also based on the type of shingle you are going back with (20-30 year composition is cheap, slate is expensive). So without saying the square footage or type of shingle you buying, it would be impossible to say if that is a good deal or not.

Also if your roof is so steep the workers would have to tie off, that is an additional charge. If two story (or more) that is an additional charge.

Tear off is generally cheap. But with three layers (you must be up north to allow that many layers) plus the wood shingles is a lot of weight to take to a dump. Plus if the wood shingles were on spaced decking, they may have to lay down solid decking (plywood).

But before all of that, are you sure that smell is from the wood shingles? I'd say that is unusual. Especially w/that many layers (I'd be surprised rain can get through all that).

I'm not saying it is not possible. But roofers are like used car salesmen. Their ONLY way to make money is to sell you a roof. Do you have a contractor you really trust for a 2nd opinion? You say you dont know the age of ur top layer of roof. Why not? Did you ask the roofer the age (they should be able to give u an idea just by looking). Did they inspect the roof? I wouldn't let them replace a roof they hadn't inspected. And if they inspected they should show you pic's of problems or condition.
Old 11-07-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Price sounds right. I had a new roof added after a hail storm. They only replaced the shingles though and it was $10k.
Old 11-07-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depending on where you live and if you have decent homeowners insurance you could have the roofing company file a claim and you could only spend a few thousand.
Old 11-08-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should only have to pay the deductible.
Old 11-08-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
Depending on where you live and if you have decent homeowners insurance you could have the roofing company file a claim and you could only spend a few thousand.
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
You should only have to pay the deductible.
Uh...guys, that is only if the roof suffered a direct loss. A hail storm, a tornado ripped the shingles off, a fire that burned the roof, a tree that fell on the roof.

A roof being old and worn out would not be covered.

I assuming he would have said if his home/roof was damaged by an event.
Old 11-08-14, 03:23 PM
Suspended

^^^What he said. Also agree on a second opinion, just to get an idea for a baseline cost.
Old 11-09-14, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a second person to take a look at it. Quoted $9500 & is better. Thicker plywood for the base, peak vent instead of box vents. I'll go with that one. 2nd is higher rated on Angies List as well. Thanks
Old 11-09-14, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Is this super high or reasonable?
How big is your roof?

But I would call at least a couple of other roofers to get quotes. When the first roofer said you had three layers, you might only have two. There is a starting strip of shingles which might make somebody think you have an extra layer. The roofer would know better but might be exaggerating the work to beef up the price. Or you really have three layers, which is a lot for a roof.
Old 11-09-14, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both roofers that inspected it said there were three layers. I guess they could both be lying but since they both said thw same amt of layers, its probably accurate. Roof isn't huge but the it has really steep angles. Front is probably 60 degrees and the middle peak is 80 degrees. All of thes from the first floor to the peak. House is 2 stories.
Old 11-09-14, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Get quotes from at least three different companies. Do not tell them that you are getting / have gotten quotes from other companies. If they are all in the same ballpark then you know that is the going rate for your house.
Old 11-09-14, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got a second person to take a look at it. Quoted $9500 & is better. Thicker plywood for the base, peak vent instead of box vents. I'll go with that one. 2nd is higher rated on Angies List as well. Thanks
Both roofers that inspected it said there were three layers. I guess they could both be lying but since they both said thw same amt of layers, its probably accurate. Roof isn't huge but the it has really steep angles. Front is probably 60 degrees and the middle peak is 80 degrees. All of thes from the first floor to the peak. House is 2 stories.

You still haven't said why this is necessary. I'm assuming age, but why do they feel it needs replacing? Also why you (or they) feel it is the wood shingles that smell? For them to be rotted, there would have to be a leak. And a leak bad enough to rot wood would, I would think, show up inside your home on the ceilings. Did they show you pics of where they think the leak is occurring?

How old is your roof?
Old 11-09-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What the hell is a wood shingle?

If something smells it might just be a leak. Can you get in the attic to look/smell around?

We had ours done last year. Hail damage so mostly covered by insurance. 1400 sq. Ft. home. I want to say ours was around $7k.
Old 11-09-14, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
What the hell is a wood shingle?

If something smells it might just be a leak. Can you get in the attic to look/smell around?

We had ours done last year. Hail damage so mostly covered by insurance. 1400 sq. Ft. home. I want to say ours was around $7k.
Seriously? Wood shingles are shingles that are wood. Not as common as they use to be, but still not an "uncommon" shingle. Much more expensive than composition (asphalt) shingles but typically not as expensive as slate.

http://youtu.be/iycxNjSE6ho

Depending on the part of the country they are often installed on "spaced" decking as in the YouTube video. Wood shingles are a high maintence item. After the first 3-5 years, you need to put a couple thousand in maintence every year or two. This is to replace curling, cracking, defective individual shingles that start to show up.

If not maintained they don't last long. And as in the OP, some people put a composition roof over the wood shingles, rather than replace the wood shingles. This is realively inexpensive and if done properly an acceptable method.

Most other shingle roofs must be installed on solid decking. So if you remove the wood shingles installed on spaced decking, you have to install solid decking if going back with say a composition roof. They typically just lay the decking on the spaced decking, so this is generally cheaper than finding a roof that can can be installed on spaced decking (some sheet roofing products, tiles, etc.)
Old 11-09-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not all shingles are created equally. When we had ours done, we paid $2K extra, but the type of shingle they put on has given us an 18% discount on our homeowners insurance each and every year .. plus the roof has survived 2 major hail storms and a minor one.

The extra money we spent has more than paid for itself over the past 8 years. Obviously price is a factor, but if you are planning on staying in that house for a while, more money for better product for your area might make sense.
Old 11-09-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually no matter what you do, it might be worth calling your insurance company and let them know what kind of roof you are thinking of putting on. You might be adding a better fire rating or something like that that might get you some kind of discount.
Old 11-09-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Uh...guys, that is only if the roof suffered a direct loss. A hail storm, a tornado ripped the shingles off, a fire that burned the roof, a tree that fell on the roof.

A roof being old and worn out would not be covered.

I assuming he would have said if his home/roof was damaged by an event.
If it's hailed at least once since the existing roof has been on you can probably make a claim. If adjuster can see that the roof has been hit by hail at some point you got a claim.
Old 11-09-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
Not all shingles are created equally. When we had ours done, we paid $2K extra, but the type of shingle they put on has given us an 18% discount on our homeowners insurance each and every year .. plus the roof has survived 2 major hail storms and a minor one.

The extra money we spent has more than paid for itself over the past 8 years. Obviously price is a factor, but if you are planning on staying in that house for a while, more money for better product for your area might make sense.
That discount is only available in a handful of states. Worth checking but not common outside of Texas, Oklahoma and a couple other states.

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
If it's hailed at least once since the existing roof has been on you can probably make a claim. If adjuster can see that the roof has been hit by hail at some point you got a claim.
That's not true at all.

If the hail damage occurred prior to him owning the home (and thus taking out a policy) it would not be covered.

And just knowing "hail hit the roof" does not make coverage. It would have to actually damage the shingles. We have hail about 25 times a year, but rarely large enough to do actual damage.

You can often "see" that hail hit a roof but didn't cause damage to the shingles. The light metal vents might have dents, but not shingles. The hail could knock off oxidation yet not damage the shingles.

Finally you can "file a claim" for anything, any time. The question is if there is coverage or not.
Old 11-09-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
That discount is only available in a handful of states. Worth checking but not common outside of Texas, Oklahoma and a couple other states.

That's not true at all.

If the hail damage occurred prior to him owning the home (and thus taking out a policy) it would not be covered.

And just knowing "hail hit the roof" does not make coverage. It would have to actually damage the shingles. We have hail about 25 times a year, but rarely large enough to do actual damage.

You can often "see" that hail hit a roof but didn't cause damage to the shingles. The light metal vents might have dents, but not shingles. The hail could knock off oxidation yet not damage the shingles.

Finally you can "file a claim" for anything, any time. The question is if there is coverage or not.

You are probably right on both ... but for such an expensive item, it seems worth a shot
Old 11-09-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is my house so you can see the steep roof. Looking at it I can see some of the shingles are warping. There are some dips in it and it is pulling away from the siding in spots. So it is getting to the age of needing to be replaced either way. I can see some water stains up in the attic area where water has come through before.
Old 11-09-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Steep is good for a roof. Not much area to roof. About 30 sq's?

Sounds like you have made up your mind. Hope that solves your smell issue.
Old 11-09-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Here is my house so you can see the steep roof. Looking at it I can see some of the shingles are warping. There are some dips in it and it is pulling away from the siding in spots. So it is getting to the age of needing to be replaced either way. I can see some water stains up in the attic area where water has come through before.
do you try to lure kids into your house with candy so you can eat them?
Old 11-09-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
do you try to lure kids into your house with candy so you can eat them?
Damn, beat me to it.
Old 11-09-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Damn, beat me to it.
Ditto ...

Cute house though!
Old 11-09-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lol

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.