DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/623338-things-done-school-when-you-were-kid-wouldnt-fly-today.html)

Crocker Jarmen 11-04-14 02:27 PM

Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Every time I see a story in the news about a kid getting suspended for slicing an apple at school or making a gun with their hand, I always think about a class project me and a friend did in 1995:

Using a very realistic looking pellet hand gun, we re-enacted a scene from the Stephen King book Rage, where I pretended to take the English class hostage. Our teacher gave high marks and congratulations all around for such a vivid and creative presentation.

A few years earlier, when I was in Grade 6, I remember the teachers still having a smoking lounge. It was right next to our classroom, and every morning we walked through the thick clouds of smoke wafting out the open door. Thinking back even further to Grade 1 and 2, I remember one teacher, Mr. Lee, who smoked during yard duty.

I also remember in public school having to say the Lord's Prayer every fucking morning all the way up to halfway through grade 7 when they finally got rid of it.

What do the rest of you old farts remember?

bluetoast 11-04-14 02:31 PM

Re: Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Sitting down "Indian style" is now called "criss cross apple sauce." The first time I heard that I could not believe my fucking years.

fumanstan 11-04-14 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12291589)
Sitting down "Indian style" is now called "criss cross apple sauce." The first time I heard that I could not believe my fucking years.

Wow, hadn't heard of that.

Geofferson 11-04-14 02:33 PM

:lol: Hadn't heard that either.

Groucho 11-04-14 02:34 PM

I'll have to ask my kids what they call it.

Shannon Nutt 11-04-14 02:36 PM

Yes, but in exchange for all the political correctness these days, many students get to boink their teachers. We missed out on all that. :(

Crocker Jarmen 11-04-14 02:36 PM

YES! Totally forgot until you brought it up but I remember the phrase sitting down "Indian style" all the time. Legs crossed with hands held up folded in front of you.

Goat3001 11-04-14 02:38 PM

Our senior prank was to start a huge nerf gun fight in the cafeteria. It worked out very well. None of the teachers had any idea what was going on and all at once we pulled out these Nerf Guns and started shooting each other. Pretty sure that would get everyone suspended today.

I went to a Catholic High School. There were two Jewish kids in our class. They both happened to be in my math class one year. Every so often the teacher would make quips about how they were going to be accountants. That wouldn't fly today. The teacher would have been skewered by today's media.

This was 2003, not that long ago but a lot has changed since then.

Off topic but sort of relevant: I was watching Married with Children the other day. No chance of a show like that being on TV these days.

DeputyDave 11-04-14 02:39 PM

Being sent to the vice principal's office for a paddling. As late as 8th grade.

Nick Danger 11-04-14 02:46 PM

One girl spent a lot of time every day after school with the high school chemistry teacher. We all figured something was going on, but no one complained. Thinking back on it now, he was a nice guy, her father was not, so it was probably good for her.

Bomb threats. When someone called in a bomb threat on our elementary school, we would all file outdoors for 20 minutes while two policemen inspected the school. Then we went back to our classrooms. Those guys couldn't have done more than look in all the rooms to see if there was a bomb in plain sight. This was around the same time as the Weather Underground bombing campaign.

inri222 11-04-14 02:47 PM

Wearing a tank top.

rexinnih 11-04-14 02:49 PM

Looked back at a High School yearbook. The Halloween photos had more than a few gentleman of Caucasian persuasion dressed in blackface. And no, this wasn't from the 1800's.

Hokeyboy 11-04-14 02:50 PM

Birthday spankings from your teacher.

mike45 11-04-14 02:50 PM

High School history teacher would bring his black powder flintlock pistol and fire a charge in the air. This was during American History. He was giving us a practical lesson in the type of guns used during the American Revolution. He did this for every class each year for at least ten years. Before I reached high school, I already heard about the demonstration from my brother and sister. Everyone looked forward to it and nobody thought it was wrong or bad.

Deftones 11-04-14 03:14 PM

I totally wish I would get a royalty every time that is used. :sad:

Shoveler 11-04-14 03:16 PM

We had a study hall teacher that put the fear of God in everyone. Bitch slapped a friend of mine for making a joke, put him down hard and fast. Catholic high school.

JimRochester 11-04-14 03:18 PM

We had a rod and gun club. Kids would bring their guns to school.

Ash Ketchum 11-04-14 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 12291669)

And nobody ever shot anybody, did they? Now that guns are banned in schools, the kids who do bring them are more inclined to shoot people.

When I was a kid we did "duck and cover" exercises where we had to get under our desks in case of a nuclear attack. I remember them going on up until 6th Grade.

DeputyDave 11-04-14 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 12291669)

We actually had archery as a PE class and a rifle team and club that used an on campus range in high school.

Josh-da-man 11-04-14 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12291595)
I'll have to ask my kids what they call it.

"They're too cheap to buy us chairs" style.

dvd-4-life 11-04-14 03:41 PM

Schools being open during snow storms.

Giantrobo 11-04-14 03:45 PM

We used to be Horny Bastards in our school. Some of the things we did to the girls, and some of things they did back to us... ;) ...would definitely fall under Sexual Harassment. If we went too far the girls would let us know by punching or slapping us , but if it was "within reason" or you caught them in "good moods".....well, :lol:

Hokeyboy 11-04-14 03:58 PM

Last day of senior year high school, the senior class would erupt out of class and celebrate in the parking lot with champagne and shaving cream. The drinking age was raised to 21 while we were Freshmen, but the school still allowed it.

Then when I was a junior, it was cancelled when Complaining Mothers besieged the Dean of Students about what a "horrible example" it was. Plus I'm sure the school's lawyers probably went a bit apeshit themselves due to liability concerns. It was immediately cancelled.

Not that seniors weren't getting shitfaced that day anyhow. Just not on campus. Still, this was acceptable until about 1986-87.

superdeluxe 11-04-14 04:03 PM

my kid says criss cross apple sauce.

andicus 11-04-14 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by rexinnih (Post 12291626)
Looked back at a High School yearbook. The Halloween photos had more than a few gentleman of Caucasian persuasion dressed in blackface. And no, this wasn't from the 1800's.

It is frowned upon, these days, yet... http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2014/11...ome-under-fire