Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Old 01-20-15, 11:52 AM

Re: Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Great thread.

My contribution: In the late '80's, my public high school psychology class showed a documentary-type VHS tape called "Faces of Death" which actually showed people & animals dying in horrible ways, i.e. being electrocuted, jumping off buildings, etc. Still can't remember why this was shown in a psychology class, but there you go. I seriously doubt this type of thing would fly today....

Though I don't have any kids, in general I think this generation is becoming too dependent on technology & rules. As others have said, back in the day there were no smartphones/GPS, no parents/teachers watching your every move, etc. Yeah, we kids screwed up at times - but as far as I'm concerned, that's part of growing up. I'm of the firm opinion that my experiences as a kid helped make me the independent adult I am today...

That all being said, the world these days is a lot more dangerous than it was in the past, so unforunately these more stringent rules are a sign of the times...

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Principal who was an ex-Marine drill sergeant, would bring kids in to be paddled with this big paddle with holes drilled throughout to increase air flow / it could be swung quicker. He called it the "board of education". When he would swat kids (who always deserved it, he was a very fair guy) you could hear the swats throughout the school.
This principal sounds like the gym teacher in the '90's cartoon Beavis & Butthead. I've heard of the paddle w/air holes, but never seen one...

Last edited by TheDude; 01-20-15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-20-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I posted this in a similar, previous thread years ago. When I was a sophomore in 93/94, we had to keep a journal in English lit. and one entry a week was free to write whatever we wanted. My free entries were a year-long serial action story that involved the students and teachers organizing into factions and slaughtering each other. People got shot, stabbed, beheaded, melted by acid, electrocuted, run over and so on. One teacher I particularly didn't like got publicly stoned with pumpkins when all of the factions united in their hatred of her. My English lit teacher's only notes were positive, that she thought it was very imaginative and hilarious. Today, the same writing would have someone expelled and at least questioned by police, if not arrested.

Another of my favorites, all of the different sports teams and student organizations could write up pieces for the principal to read on the morning announcements over the intercom. I had friends on the baseball team and they talked me into writing their game recaps. They were pretty funny, so a lot of other people started asking me to write their announcements. Before long, I was writing most of what was read to the school each morning. I made them an exercise in seeing how rude or inane of things I could get the principal to read. I eventually got officially banned, after the principal read a poem making fun of a student and his over protective mother. I'd say that wouldn't happen today, but really, it shouldn't have happened then either.
Old 01-20-15, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I was in the 3rd grade we each had to do a history project. Mine was drawing 4 pictures and then having 4 titles. They were put on the cork board and you had to put the correct name of each battle. They were The Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima and The Battle of the Bulge. Britain being aircraft and Pearl being ships there were just flames and explosions. But the other 2 had stabbing and shooting and blood all over the place. The teacher really liked it and thought I did a good job. Today what would happen?

Also most of the kids in the class did pretty good on getting the names correct. Somehow today I doubt most 6th graders would.

Another time we were broken up into small groups and we had to do a short less than 5 minute play. Being boys we got cardboard boxes and built a bunker. Then we brought in our weapons, a Defender Dan heavy machine gun was in the bunker. The attackers had M14s and M16s and grenades. We then assaulted the bunker knocked over boxes, desks, tables and whatever. A good time was had by all.

I think today we would be forced to only use flowers and attempt gaiety.

Last edited by arminius; 01-20-15 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We used to play poker and blackjack in high school study hall. I seriously doubt you can do that today.
Old 01-21-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In Jr. High I used to draw comic books with a character who can only be described as a mix between Jim Carrey and Rambo, with over the top violence inspired by Mortal Kombat. They were black and white, except for bright red blood drawn with a Sharpie. They had a pretty big following in my class.

Instead of being a high honor roll student of the month, nowadays I'd probably need a mandatory therapist and put on some kind of school shooter watch list
Old 01-21-15, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
One last quick story... Like I said cleaning classrooms is part of my job. Some teachers stay late, until 6 or 7. I was in this teachers classroom who was staying after who had asked me to fix her lamination machine. Now, this is nowhere near part of my job but being that I have a thing with people disliking me I said ok. Sat down a couple of minutes after I had finished up in her room & fixed it for her while she sat thers eating a banana. Fixed it, gave it to her, she thanked me, that was that. Next day I come into work & my boss informs me there was a complaint against me. Apparently, the same teacher whos lamination machine I had fixed didnt feel like throwing her banana peel away so she left it sitting there on her desk & complained that I left it there (even though she was in the middle of eating it after I had left her room). Anyway, sorry for rambling.
That started off hot ... But finished "not."
Old 01-22-15, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In 2003, I had to take a bus to the high school on the other side of town for an agriculture class. While waiting for the return bus to arrive, I always noticed a few teachers and students openly smoking together at the side of the building. Considering it was the dead of winter and I had to stand next to them on this little concrete patio day after day, it annoyed the hell out of me. I even observed one teacher bumming a cigarette from a teenager. Guess the old fart still wanted to hang with the cool kids.

Last edited by joe_b; 01-22-15 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not having sex with a hot female teacher. In my day that was a big no no. What horrible times they were.
Old 01-22-15, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In high school, back in early 90s, got into a lot of brawls, which would probably result in being
arrested now. Threw a metal folding chair at one kid, biffed another kid off the head with a full unopened can of soda. One time I walked into class a little late to find someone sitting in my seat. I asked him to move, he refused so I grabbed him and flung him to floor where I pummeled him for a bit and proceeded to take my seat. Don't know why, but teacher didn't do anything to stop it. Just kept on with whatever he was teaching.

Last edited by Deadman31; 01-22-15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Another time we were broken up into small groups and we had to do a short less than 5 minute play. Being boys we got cardboard boxes and built a bunker. Then we brought in our weapons, a Defender Dan heavy machine gun was in the bunker. The attackers had M14s and M16s and grenades. We then assaulted the bunker knocked over boxes, desks, tables and whatever. A good time was had by all.
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
In high school, back in early 90s, got into a lot of brawls, which would probably result in being
arrested now. Threw a metal folding chair at one kid, biffed another kid off the head with a full unopened can of soda. One time I walked into class a little late to find someone sitting in my seat. I asked him to move, he refused so I grabbed him and flung him to floor where I pummeled him for a bit and proceeded to take my seat. Don't know why, but teacher didn't do anything to stop it. Just kept on with whatever he was teaching.
I can't help but think that if Deadman31 and his classmates had been allowed to play "war" the way Arminius and his classmates did, he never would have beaten up that poor kid who allegedly took his seat.
Old 01-22-15, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to an all boys Catholic school. Shit like this happened every day, not only between students. I witnessed quite a few teacher/student brawls as well.
Old 01-23-15, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I was in 4th grade our religion teacher (Protestant) would take us students on a "field trip" to his apartment. He lived down the street across the school. He did this twice a year, once around Easter and then Christmas. He would serve us bread, figs, dates and fruit juice based on ancient AD recipes, and talk about Jesus.
Kind of odd when thinking back, I don't think something like this would fly well these days.