Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Other Talk "Otterville"

Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Old 11-07-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Further to this, my uncle (still alive at a hearty 94) reports that during high school gym class, all the swimming was done naked, males only. And if a kid was caught cheating / not doing the number of laps requested, another kid was chosen by the gym instructor to administer punishment of raspings (= ruler to the buttocks) to the cheating offender. 1 whip for each lap cheated. So, if a kid was caught not doing 10 laps out of 40 required, he got 10 whippings, NAKED, and by a fellow student...

This was in LA in the mid-1930s, public school -- Inglewood High... And no there wasn't a single Negro in his entire high school in those days. It was a very respectable city then.
Umm, what?
Old 11-07-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Umm, what?
I was chalking it up to age, but yeah, that's pretty fucked up.
Old 11-07-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mh4268 View Post
In middle school early 90s my gym teacher would join in on dodgeball. He would whip the ball so fast we swore it pulsated, he probably gave a concussion or two.

I also remember in high school in the mid 90's, a kid said something the gym teacher didnt like, the teacher took a basketball at hit him at pointblank range in the head with it. He then grabbed the guy and took him outside, where the principal was smoking, and the two proceeded to rough the kid up.
That is awesome.

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Mid '80s:

A classmate built a full-size, functional guillotine for a French class project.
What could go wrong with that?
Old 11-07-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dodgeball? Our coaches, P.E. teachers and we students always called it Slaughter Ball.
Old 11-07-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

This was in LA in the mid-1930s, public school -- Inglewood High... And no there wasn't a single Negro in his entire high school in those days. It was a very respectable city then.
Old 11-07-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Dice were called dice. Now they're "number generators."

When I was in third grade our teacher found a pocket knife in someone's jacket pocket in the boys' coat closet. All of the boys went to the principal's office where he lectured everyone about safety and said he didn't want to see it happen again. He didn't ask anyone to confess and no one got suspended or expelled.
Old 11-07-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,042 Likes on 810 Posts

One can hope, can't one?

But, I doubt it, where in today's PC society F = Fantastic!
Maybe it's much improved over his other tests? Who knows? But social advancement is certainly a reality (ie: nobody fails and stays behind a grade unless the parents agree to it).

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Mid '80s:

We would take showers, nude of course, after PE. Boys and girls separate of course, unfortunately. In my son's school they don't take showers.
They don't take showers after PE?
Old 11-07-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Well gee no wonder you were having problems at speed dating - you have a prosthetic head!
Some people pay money for prosthetic head.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
What's so special about the "amber" bus?
That's the one where you might need to call the amber lamps.
Old 11-07-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Maybe it's much improved over his other tests? Who knows? But social advancement is certainly a reality (ie: nobody fails and stays behind a grade unless the parents agree to it).

They don't take showers after PE?
Better stinky and P.C. after P.E.
Old 11-07-14, 04:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Yeah that bus ritual doesn't make any sense at all. We had to fend for ourselves when the bell rang and if you missed your bus you missed it. So what about the walkers? Do they even have walkers in elementary school anymore? At dismissal we would run out of there headed for parts unknown and the school never cared. I didn't take the bus until middle school but there was never a parent at the bus stop. Now all I see are parents waiting at the bus stop with their kids or the kids waiting in their parents car for the bus to arrive. I would assume the same thing happens in the afternoon too with parents their waiting.
No, kids aren't allowed to walk home alone. They only let them go if a parent is with them.
I forgot to mention... when the buses come to pick up the kids between 3 and 3:15, part of my job (I'm a custodian) is to stand in the street in a yellow vest with 3 other custodians & make the parents move their car if they stop in front of the building where the buses park. For 15 minutes, everyone is running back and forth telling parents to move. Ridiculous.
Old 11-07-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the most fucked up thing I've ever heard. Tons of kids at my children's school walk home alone.
Old 11-07-14, 04:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yeah and chalkboards are also gone, and have been for years now (at least in the district I work for). They have 'smartboards' in place of the blackboards which are connected to a computer. All the rooms have these with a projector displaying the image.
Old 11-07-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,512 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Oh yeah and chalkboards are also gone, and have been for years now (at least in the district I work for). They have 'smartboards' in place of the blackboards which are connected to a computer. All the rooms have these with a projector displaying the image.
My niece was explaining to me how they now have some sort of microphone speaker system that teachers now wear around their necks to amplify their voices for all the kids to hear.

I also think they've gotten rid of those old school overhead projectors that used to heat up to about 1000 and would blind anyone unfortunate enough to have to write on it.
Old 11-07-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
My niece was explaining to me how they now have some sort of microphone speaker system that teachers now wear around their necks to amplify their voices for all the kids to hear.

I also think they've gotten rid of those old school overhead projectors that used to heat up to about 1000 and would blind anyone unfortunate enough to have to write on it.

What?
Old 11-07-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
What?
Old 11-07-14, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
High tech when I was in school.
Old 11-07-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Smoking this or that. I went to a 7th-12th grade school and you were not supposed to smoke until the 9th grade but you know..... and you could always doctor a cig with this or that. And I did know some peeps who drank during school.
Old 11-07-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
No, kids aren't allowed to walk home alone. They only let them go if a parent is with them.
I forgot to mention... when the buses come to pick up the kids between 3 and 3:15, part of my job (I'm a custodian) is to stand in the street in a yellow vest with 3 other custodians & make the parents move their car if they stop in front of the building where the buses park. For 15 minutes, everyone is running back and forth telling parents to move. Ridiculous.
I remember being in first and second grades (mid 60's) having to walk 7 blocks to school. My mother called the school but they said you have to live at least a mile from school in order to ride.
Old 11-07-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Old 11-07-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
I remember being in first and second grades (mid 60's) having to walk 7 blocks to school. My mother called the school but they said you have to live at least a mile from school in order to ride.
That's exactly what happened to us. Though it was for junior high school. We were right at the very edge of the bus border. We had to walk to school. We actually didn't mind the long walk. It was fun. You had all these kids in bunches walking to school. As we walked we would pick our friends as we went. No one thought there was anything wrong or dangerous walking to school. A very different time.
Old 11-07-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,512 Likes on 986 Posts

^^ Even though my school years were in the 80s and 90s we still caught the tail end of the old film projectors and got to enjoy all those wonderful film strips from the 60s and 70s. I guess kids today won't get the jokes about those silly educational film strips. I'm sure they use DVDs nowadays.

If we were really good during the film strip sometimes our teacher would let us watch the film in reverse as it was being rewound. We all got a kick out of that.
Old 11-07-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

The filmstrips and 16mm shorts were great! Kids today, however, don't have to miss out on all that fun, for we have the Internet Archive, and more to the point, Rick Prelinger has put 5000 of these 16mm educational shorts online, preserving a great slice of life from the mid-20th century America.

So, gather your children and have a good laugh, I know I certainly relived some wonderful memories when I found SIGNAL 30 at the Prelinger Archives.

Those shorts from the '40s to the '70s were the precursors to social media sites today..
Old 11-07-14, 09:12 PM

This thread is great!
I went to an all girl Catholic HS in the 80's (keep your fantasies at bay) but I had a "regular" teacher for Religion class my Junior year as opposed to a Nun.
During that year he gave us a Homework assignment to go home and tell our parents we were pregnant to see if we could "talk" to them or if they would have an "overreaction". Not one parent complained that I cold remember...though I quickly told my mother it was a HW assignment when I saw her face.
In addition to that later I learned he was openly gay and when he died a few years later we suspected it was HIV related because he was young and died of "cancer" . He was one of my favorite teachers!
Old 11-07-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 662 Likes on 453 Posts

Film Strips were bunk. Bunk I tells ya!
Old 11-07-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

I have one of those filmstrip projectors but haven't been motivated to buy any filmstrip-and-tape sets for it. Used it for a while to study 35mm movie trailers frame-by-frame. I loved those things in first and second grade though- our school library had several desks set up with a filmstrip viewer and tape player you could use during recess. I'd wanted to watch every filmstrip they had in the place, until one day this bitch librarian saw me come in and said "YOU need to go out and play, you've been coming in here every recess to look at movies!" Remember several times when teachers showed those filmstrips in class, they were off by a frame or two, wanted to smack them for that. Some of them would just start on the first frame after the credits, because those aren't important, but then play the tape from the beginning and still advance the frames when it told them to, being a frame or two ahead as a result.

Starting in 7th grade we all had the option to take showers after PE, but absolutely nobody did. Everyone was too self-conscious to be seen naked by anyone else, and nothing we did in class worked up a sweat anyways. And I remember a female PE teacher who everyone was sure was a lesbian- one of the few times a girl actually talked to me in 7th grade, she remarked that the teacher always "watched" the girls change.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.