Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Old 11-04-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Re: Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Watched 16mm films in class, sometimes I even got to run the projector.
Old 11-05-14, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

They also use a different term for Brazil nuts.
I'm assuming that it's NOT the same one my great-grandmother used.
Old 11-05-14, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Watched 16mm films in class, sometimes I even got to run the projector.
My junior high (gr 7-8) science teacher showed us a lot of 16mm films even though VCRs were ubiquitous by then.

Most of them seemed like they were sent out to schools by oil companies or other moneyed political interests, and probably came from the 1950s to 1970s. Coal, the Wave of the Future! Atomic Energy and You. Oil, Providing America's Energy Needs.

Saw one of these about every week. He would shut off the lights, turn on the projector, and sleep at his desk.
Old 11-05-14, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wearing a "scary" costume to school for Halloween.
Old 11-05-14, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything

My kids don't have any fun...

Dodgeball!
Old 11-05-14, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Class of 1997, NC.

Drawing violent images in art class in HS. I'm sure that would get me suspended and in counseling today.

Watching Christmas Vacation in middle school. When the side boob shot hit, the teacher said oops, and we just kept watching, no complaints.

Watching Romeo and Juliet 70's version with full boob shot.
Old 11-05-14, 08:25 AM
Suspended

If I ever heard someone say " criss cross apple sauce" , I would have to punch them in the face. Then give them an Indian burn.
Old 11-05-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. Bought fireworks from a friend and carried out the exchange in the open in home room.
2. Fist fights and wrestling. Bullying and hazing. I wasn't usually a participant but it was very common and fairly brutal when I was a kid. Much less so now, I think.
3. Called other kids "[email protected]&s" as a matter of course. This is just what you called people.
4. Smokin' in the boys room in 8th grade. Felt like I was gonna puke.
5. Listened to rock n' roll music. Most kids these days listen to shit.
6. Hung a stolen Playboy centerfold in my locker in 7th grade. Hid it behind a ridiculous piece of graph paper that I drew a graph on as a joke. My locker was very popular among the kids. In retrospect, it was pretty funny. not sure if kids do this these days.
Old 11-05-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We carried our own aspirin, prescriptions drugs and whatnot. And shared them.
Old 11-05-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the 70's in England in Catholic school we used to get hit with a leather strap across the hands for punishment. I had a male teacher smack me across the face once because I forgot my gym kit.
And our teacher used to smoke in class the last day of school. He also allowed the kids to smoke on the last day in class if they wished. This is when we were 11. I also remember him telling us one year that the pullout method of contraception didn't work. He had 4 kids.
Old 11-05-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
In the 70's in England in Catholic school we used to get hit with a leather strap across the hands for punishment. I had a male teacher smack me across the face once because I forgot my gym kit.
And our teacher used to smoke in class the last day of school. He also allowed the kids to smoke on the last day in class if they wished. This is when we were 11. I also remember him telling us one year that the pullout method of contraception didn't work. He had 4 kids.
I had some teachers who came up with creative ways to punish disruptive students. One was the imaginary chair. You had to get up and put your back against the wall and squat down like you were sitting in a chair.

The other one was drawing a circle on the chalkboard above your head, and you had to reach up and put your nose in the circle and hold it there. Both humiliating and painful pretty quickly.
Old 11-05-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of punishments, one of my uncles told me this story a long time ago. I don't know whether or not I believe it, but he gave me no indication that he was pulling my leg. (Actually, it wasn't me he was telling this to, but one of his adult nephews and I was sitting in the same room and overheard the tale.)

When he was in grade school, which would have been in the 1930s, one of the kids set a shed behind the school on fire and burned it down. The next day his teacher called that boy up to the front of the class and told him to hold out his hands, palms down. She then lit matches and proceeded to burn the undersides of all ten of his fingers with the matches until they blistered. The kids was probably about seven, and my uncle was impressed that he never cried out and just let the teacher do it, even though he had tears streaming down his face.
Old 11-05-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Everything

My kids don't have any fun...

Dodgeball!
They play dodgeball at my kid's school during gym.
Old 11-05-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just telling a story to a black female co-worker about an after-school meeting about racial issues in 1969 when I was a sophomore at the High School of Performing Arts (NYC). Black students were making some reasonable demands--I forget what they were--and teachers and administrators were listening. For one thing, they wanted us all to say "Black" instead of "Negro," which had been the accepted term up until then. I was there and at one point I tried to mediate and made a cutely awkward speech in which I kept saying "Negro--I mean black--" and then finally blurted out "Colored people--I mean black" and the crowd roared. I got away with it because I was a cute little blond kid with long hair. In my senior year, I managed to be a member of the Black Student Union--all because of that speech, no doubt.

In any event, my co-worker, who's 36, found it insane that we used any terms other than "African-American."
Old 11-05-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chemistry class, Junior year of high school circa '93, second floor classroom... there was a Freshman in a different time period who would leave his book in one of the desks. I guess his lazy ass couldn't be bothered with a bag or locker. So we chucked it out the window.

Gravity hasn't changed much in 20 years so I'm pretty sure that book would still fly today.
Old 11-05-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In grade school (late '70s, public school) we had a teacher who would hit kids who were acting up, one time, he even slammed a kids head into his desk - parents seemed okay with it...
Old 11-05-14, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never heard of Criss Cross Apple Sauce but my sister (Half Oneida/half Mexican) in Green Bay WI says the students in her class say "pretzle legged".
Old 11-05-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1990-1994 suburbs of New York (some would call 'upstate')

1) Leftback kids driving to school in 8th grade and the principal saying 'I don't care if you have your permit, only seniors can drive to school'

2) In shop class a kid cut the ends off an extension cord and plugged the other end in. He then touched it to a metal stool another kid was sitting on. The kid on the stool went flying. The shop teacher turns around yells at the kid on the floor to "get up" , and throws an eraser at the kid who electrocuted him and says "stop screwing around"

3) Kids would ride belt sanders around like skateboards.

4) On the bus some kids would constantly open the emergency doors on the back of the bus. The buzzer would go off and the bus driver would yell "cut it out." One day when the bus is making a turn some kid opens the doors and throws another kid out of the back of the bus... the bus driver just yelled "close those dammn doors."

5) For Halloween I once went to school dressed as Hasidim Jews (with the curls, beards, black hats) the teachers all laughed and thought it was creative. One kid went as a KKK members and said "I'm a ghost"
Old 11-05-14, 12:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Our Junior High the gym locker rooms had a vent about seven feet up on the outside wall (inside the gym) that was basically just a grate with inch size openings. It faced into a full view of the locker room and part of the shower room. A few guys snagged a peek into the girls' locker by getting on each other's shoulders. No way a design like that would get by in this digital camera/smartphone age.
Old 11-05-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by KingSmoth View Post
I carried a knife to school until 1993 (when I changed school districts); the student handbook said that we could do so, as long as the blade was no longer than 3.5 inches

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
2) In shop class a kid cut the ends off an extension cord and plugged the other end in. He then touched it to a metal stool another kid was sitting on. The kid on the stool went flying. The shop teacher turns around yells at the kid on the floor to "get up" , and throws an eraser at the kid who electrocuted him and says "stop screwing around"
Old 11-05-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
I think we have our winner.
Old 11-05-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Late '80s, I had a football coach that would tell us to "stop fagging off".
Old 11-05-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as you don't cross swords it's not fagging.
Old 11-05-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad I didn't go to high school with any of you clowns.
Old 11-05-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the late 80s we had playground equipment that would put today's kids in the hospital. Splintered wood climbing equipment, rusty bolts sticking out of it, and no safety railings 10 to 15 feet above the ground. Carousels that we could get spinning so fast kids would fly off onto the cement walkways, and jungle gyms with thick paint peeling off just enough to break off into your skin like tiny colored razor blades. We also had some weird log teeter totter type thing held together with thick rubber where you could break bones if you got caught in the wrong place with it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.