Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

Old 11-04-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Things Done In School When You Were A Kid That Wouldn't Fly Today

In 6th grade science class, we had "rocket day". We had our rocket-building project that started after Christmas, I think, and we'd get the Estes catalog, and pick out our rockets, and then spend the next couple months building them. Then, towards the end of the year we'd have the day where we'd all launch them and get graded on everything, how it looked, if it launched and flew properly, if the chute came out, etc.

I imagine that would be too dangerous/terrifying/militaristic for schools today.

Huh, I see the company is still going:

Old 11-04-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Probably 1985, did my 'domestic violence' presentation in high school by walking up to the front of the class in a trench coat, whipping out a realistic cap gun, and unloading it on a girl on whom I had a crush. Oddly, the cap gun didn't work at all which says a lot about my love life.

Also, probably buying weed in the Career Counseling Center would be frowned upon.
Old 11-04-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Sitting down "Indian style" is now called "criss cross apple sauce." The first time I heard that I could not believe my fucking years.
When I first started teaching, just observing, I heard a few teachers saying CCAS and I have used it ever since lol. I didn't want to risk getting in trouble over "Indian Style" which is what I grew up with.
Old 11-04-14, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had an English teacher that would bonk you on the head if you gave a stupid answer. He also wasn't afraid to curse in class.
Old 11-04-14, 05:44 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what's the rule on backpack wearing these days -- 1 or 2 shoulders?
Old 11-04-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first day we were freshmen in high school, the principal told the students that if they wanted to smoke, they had to go to the smoking area outside the back door.
Old 11-04-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post

Off topic but sort of relevant: I was watching Married with Children the other day. No chance of a show like that being on TV these days.

Where were you watching it then?
Old 11-04-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used this knife as a prop for reciting some Shakespeare in high school lit class. I brandished it from the sheath for dramatic emphasis and I saw a classmate's eyes open wide in the front row.
Old 11-04-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When I was in junior high I remember having to do live presentations about the Civil War via various skits. I imagine some of the ones touching on slavery would be shot down pretty quickly these days.
Old 11-04-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yes, but in exchange for all the political correctness these days, many students get to boink their teachers. We missed out on all that.
I'm fairly sure that still happened, it just didn't get out as much/ no videos and pictures posted (and definitely didn't happen to any of us). Or is there some study that shows a rise in this kind of behavior in recent times because of some other factor?
Old 11-04-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Sitting down "Indian style" is now called "criss cross apple sauce." The first time I heard that I could not believe my fucking years.
It was never called "Indian style" where I am. It was "legs crossed".
Old 11-04-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

smoke in high school as a freshman with a note from your parents

"no smoking" signs in classroom

school psychologist smoking in session with you (high school)

nuns beating the holy piss out of you with sticks in the cloakroom (elementary school)

having a crush on your third grade teacher and your friend telling you "forget it man, her pussy is too big for you". nowadays she might be game.

demo what "trial by combat" meant, using wooden swords and not pulling your shots (4th grade)

finger blasting girls you meet at school dances and chaperones looking the other way if they liked you (high school. wish it were elementary school)

"end of school gathering" sophomore year, openly drinking and smoking weed by the Met, teachers passing by and not having a conniption while being offered cans or hits, but politely declining. (hypothetically)
Old 11-04-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It was never called "Indian style" where I am. It was "legs crossed".
You said it, fellow Canuck. I've never heard "Indian-style" uttered.
Old 11-04-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah well here in the U.S. we have a proud history of not giving a shit about sounding insensitive until abruptly we decide to be sensitive about EVERYTHING!
Old 11-04-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Canuck: "We were politically correct before it was cool!"
Old 11-04-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
In 6th grade science class, we had "rocket day". We had our rocket-building project that started after Christmas, I think, and we'd get the Estes catalog, and pick out our rockets, and then spend the next couple months building them. Then, towards the end of the year we'd have the day where we'd all launch them and get graded on everything, how it looked, if it launched and flew properly, if the chute came out, etc.
We had a one day competition with the other schools in the county. They still have it today. It's been going on for over 30 years with no injures or complaints. Of course I'm in a state were fireworks are legal too.
Old 11-04-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Canuck: "We were politically correct before it was cool!"
I didn't mention it out of patriotism. "Indian-style" is fine with me. I've just never heard it before.
Old 11-04-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in Southern Ontario and I remember "Indian style" used all the time in the early 1980's, from school to Beavers to day camp.
Old 11-04-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also a child of the '80s, and I just don't recall it, though I grew up in an upper-middle-class area of the city populated primarily by Jews, so maybe there was extra sensitivity with regard to cultural verbiage. I don't know what is pejorative about the terms Indian or Eskimo (translation: eaters of raw meat); or "Negro", for that matter, since it is an ethnographic term like Caucasian, Asian, and Latino.

Anyhow, carry on.
Old 11-04-14, 09:55 PM

Checked with my kids, they both called it "cross cross".

They also use a different term for Brazil nuts.
Old 11-04-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

They also use a different term for Brazil nuts.

It's OK if used in the 'proper context'!
Old 11-04-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Senior year (class of '88)...playing volleyball in gym class, and had my denim jacket on. Dove, and the butterfly knife in my inside pocket slid across the gym floor. Fetched it and not a word was said.

Would probably catch some heat for that today.
Old 11-04-14, 10:15 PM

I would appreciate if people would go back and edit their posts to include at least the year(s), if not also the state(s) and/or public or private school. Context really matters, you know?

Really enjoying peoples' stories. Good stuff! Only heard my 3-year-old call it "criss cross applesauce" for the first time a few weeks ago. I grew up with "Indian style" in a town where white people made lots of money off American Indian heritage and as soon as I realized what was going on, I switched to saying "cross-legged" and that stuck with me pretty much all my life.

Three quick stories, two are mine and one belongs to one of my teachers who told us the tale so long as we promised we'd never pull the stunt ourselves:

1993, public middle school in MN: the 7th-8th grade English teacher was the advisor for the middle school paper. Girls would lean out the windows of his classroom and wave to people walking into the building. Anybody in the room would see a row of girls' backsides in jeans. This teacher would snap photos of the row of butts in jeans and put it in the paper with the headline, "Guess who?" I remember some people being weirded out but no one stopped him or said anything and I do remember many a guessing game did in fact happen...

1998, public high school in MN: I was in summer jazz band and one time I showed up earlier than other students and the band director said we needed to load up all the music stands, the trap kit, etc. So we went out to the parking lot, got in a pickup truck, and he drove it toward the street where the building entrance by the band room was. The school was up on a great big hill so I figured we'd park on the street and carry the stands and drums down the long cement stairs. Instead, he looks at me and says, "This is between you and me," and proceeds to gun the truck up over the curb, up over the big hill, and right to the door, tearing up the grass in the process. I'd seen grass torn up around there before and people really had no idea what was going on. It had been assumed it was teenagers being teenagers and all along it was the band director who didn't want to carry a bunch of heavy stuff up and down a big hill. He was a great teacher. Knew him since I was a kid through church. He was the kind of teacher you only appreciate later as an adult because of the tough work ethic he expected out of you in class. He just retired last year, one of the greats.

In 1993, our math teacher told us about what I've always considered the greatest school prank I've ever heard in my life. She was around 25-30 so this must've been in the 80s and it was in the Midwest. Their study hall teacher was a real dictator. No talking. Studying only. PERIOD. She would send people to the office for pretty much nothing. So one day, this study hall hour of 9th-12th graders conspired to get their revenge. They got a friend who was a runner for the office to bring her a fake note she had a phone call in the office. She looked at the note, got up, and said, "I have to leave. NO TALKING," and she left. The crew immediately sprang to action. One cowboy took off his boots and ran top speed down the three flights of stairs, went outside, and laid down on the grass in front of the window, sprawled out with a slight twitch. The study hall teacher returned from the office, where another friend who was a runner told her the caller hung up, to find the rest of the class all gathered around the window. One of them was holding the pair of cowboy boots out the window, and everyone was laughing. She calls out, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" and the crowd feigns shock. The person holding the boots yanks them back in mock surprise, and says, "Whoops." The teacher screams and runs to the window to find twitching cowboy, three stories down and sprawled out on the ground. There were many, many detentions handed out that day, but it sounds like one heckuva way to bond against the common foe.
Old 11-04-14, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Off topic but sort of relevant: I was watching Married with Children the other day. No chance of a show like that being on TV these days.
you ought to watch these shows that are on now called modern family , family guy.
Old 11-04-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Georgia, late 80's - 90's
Even now I call it "Indian style"; the only "criss cross" I've ever heard of wore their pants backwards
I carried a knife to school until 1993 (when I changed school districts); the student handbook said that we could do so, as long as the blade was no longer than 3.5 inches

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.