DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Why Is Pizza So Popular? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/623291-why-pizza-so-popular.html)

DVD Polizei 11-01-14 06:32 PM

Why Is Pizza So Popular?

I was wondering last night, while eating pizza. Why is it so popular, and why does it almost always fit any occasion?

My guess is:

1) Anything can be put on it so it applies to meat lovers, cheese lovers, and veggie queens alike.

2) It's somewhat salty.

3) Easy to eat. Just use your hands.

I remember when pizza used to be a treat for weekend, or some special occasion, but now it seems it's more common.

Mrs. Danger 11-01-14 06:33 PM

Re: Why Is Pizza So Popular?

It's the perfect food. Besides, you can have it delivered.

emanon 11-01-14 06:34 PM

His posts are generally non-offensive, and he seems like a decent guy.

sherm42 11-01-14 06:41 PM

It's also pretty cheap. You can feed an entire family for probably $20 or less.

Bronkster 11-01-14 06:47 PM

Because even bad pizza is good, and good pizza is awesome.

Trevor 11-01-14 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger (Post 12288864)
It's the perfect food. Besides, you can have it delivered.

Originally Posted by emanon (Post 12288865)
His posts are generally non-offensive, and he seems like a decent guy.

Originally Posted by sherm42 (Post 12288868)
It's also pretty cheap. You can feed an entire family for probably $20 or less.

Originally Posted by Bronkster (Post 12288870)

All of this.

Jason 11-01-14 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster (Post 12288870)

I can think of exactly one time when I had pizza that was so bad I couldn't eat it. That's a pretty good track record for a food product.

On the other hand, we still talk about the pizza we had when travelling through northeast Ohio back in 1999. I even googled the place and it's still there. Maybe next summer...

zyzzle 11-01-14 07:36 PM

It's popular because children will eat it without complaint, it is convenient finger food, it lends itself to piecemeal eating (ie, family doesn't have to eat all together at an arranged time and can eat in front of the idiot box, etc), very little to no cleanup after it is consumed...

This says more about the current state of American society than 1000 words or pictures ever will!

I remember in the '70s and early '80s, pizza was a *treat* if we were good, we children got to eat it once a month or so. We were taught it wasn't a really heathy food and to eat it sparingly... Now, it is a commodity that kids take for granted and parents use to placate kids at the dinner table!

That said, now I'll eat it every chance I get -- and its quality has improved greatly over the last 30 years in America... I salivate at this very moment thinking of the wonderfully delicious deep dish Chicago pizza I've eaten... gooey, doughy with loads of fresh tomato-basil sauce! Yum!

taffer 11-01-14 07:43 PM

Pizza is the best thing ever. I seriously used to eat it every single day for over a decade. I never get tired of it. If there is a heaven, then my heaven doesn't have roads paved with gold. It has roads paved with pizza. Everything in my heaven would be made of pizza. Goddammit now I am hungry just thinking about pizza.

Trelach24 11-01-14 07:52 PM

Because it's fucking delicious?

Fist of Doom 11-01-14 07:53 PM

Because - in most cases - it's a greasy, salty, fatty mess covered in cheese. It's junk food.

Of course Americans love it.

Troy Stiffler 11-01-14 07:59 PM

Pizza is so 2012. It's all about burritos now.

GoldenJCJ 11-01-14 08:22 PM

I love pizza yet oddly enough the only two times I ever got food poisoning was from eating pizza. I refuse to ever eat Blackjack Pizza or Anthony's Pizza ever again...fuck those two pizza chains! Aside from those two places, I love pretty much all kinds of pizza.

Our new favorite is from Papa Murphy's, it's a Mediterranean chicken pizza made with olive oil instead of tomato sauce. It also uses feta cheese, spinach, and chicken. And it's damn delicious!

Count Dooku 11-01-14 09:09 PM

The reasons start with melted mozzarella and continue from there.

Xiroteus 11-01-14 09:11 PM

It's perfect!

If anyone here says they don't like pizza I'm sure some board war will happen. :D

The Cow 11-01-14 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 12288902)
On the other hand, we still talk about the pizza we had when travelling through northeast Ohio back in 1999. I even googled the place and it's still there. Maybe next summer...

What's that name of the place?

fumanstan 11-01-14 09:28 PM

I love pizza, even the cheapo ones from Little Caesars or the frozen Totinos ones. Mmm, pizza.

TomOpus 11-01-14 09:39 PM

It's good hot or cold.

EdTheRipper 11-01-14 09:52 PM

It's fucking delicious, affordable, and tough to mess up. What's not to love?

OldBoy 11-01-14 09:59 PM

http://nyctalking.com/wp-content/upl...izza-slice.jpg

ESUguy 11-01-14 10:02 PM

Pizza is like sex, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Deadman31 11-01-14 10:08 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nqQh60V48WI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LurkerDan 11-01-14 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12288861)
I remember when pizza used to be a treat for weekend, or some special occasion, but now it seems it's more common.

Where I grew up (NYC) pizza was always ubiquitous, it was my fast food, a slice joint on every corner. Definitely not special occasion food.

RichC2 11-01-14 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 12288902)
I can think of exactly one time when I had pizza that was so bad I couldn't eat it. That's a pretty good track record for a food product.

Don't do it. Food places are never as good as you remembered.

GoldenJCJ 11-01-14 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12288985)
What's that name of the place?

Pizza Hut