Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Why Is Pizza So Popular?

Old 11-05-14, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Why Is Pizza So Popular?

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Hmm, they just opened a Mellow Mushroom near my house. I had never heard of it before but maybe I'll give it a shot one of these days.
I ate there a couple of times when I was in Atlanta about ten years ago. It was pretty good; I remember liking their crust a lot. I think that most locations were based in the South, which seems kind of weird for a hippy dippy pizza joint.

Maybe they're expanding north and west.
Old 11-05-14, 05:26 AM
Banned

omg. We have one in Denton, fucking good. the beer cheese dip for the pretzels is orgasmic.
Old 11-05-14, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
the beer cheese dip for the pretzels is orgasmic.
Sorry to hear. We had a place like that here, too - fortunately, the board of health shut them down.
Old 11-07-14, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Because the flavors in the fat
Old 11-07-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tasty Geno's East Thick-Crust Pizza featuring its delicious corn-bread crust:

Old 11-10-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't stand corn-bread crust on a Chicago deep-dish. Surprisingly, the best Chicago deep-dish isn't in Chicago, but in the Bay-area, at Zachary's.

Being a thick, deep-dish, it takes 45 minutes to an hour to bake, so when you order it with bacon, what they do is top it with raw bacon, which cooks nicely during that time and in the process, spreads its love throughout the pizza. (and they use normal pizza dough, not that corn-meal abomination)

Old 11-10-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Sorry to hear. Shit's delicious on pizza.
I think shit on pizza is where I draw the line.
Old 11-10-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Goddamn it now I have to have pizza tonight during Monday Night Football...
Old 11-10-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
That ham looks grey and rancid, and the crust is too damned big.
That's not ham, it's thin sliced

Old 11-10-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this is pretty damned good, kinda like a good Totino's pizza

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/c...-food-lab.html
Old 11-10-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I ate there a couple of times when I was in Atlanta about ten years ago. It was pretty good; I remember liking their crust a lot. I think that most locations were based in the South, which seems kind of weird for a hippy dippy pizza joint.

Maybe they're expanding north and west.
They're based out of Atlanta. We have had them in this area for a few years now, but I only recently tried them. I'm not crazy about the crust (and they use the same dough to make the pretzels, which turn out great), but all of the toppings seem fresh enough.

I have the same complaint about Pieology...poor crust, good toppings (except for those horrible frozen sausage pellets).
Old 11-10-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I can't stand corn-bread crust on a Chicago deep-dish. Surprisingly, the best Chicago deep-dish isn't in Chicago, but in the Bay-area, at Zachary's.

Being a thick, deep-dish, it takes 45 minutes to an hour to bake, so when you order it with bacon, what they do is top it with raw bacon, which cooks nicely during that time and in the process, spreads its love throughout the pizza. (and they use normal pizza dough, not that corn-meal abomination)

Spoiler:

Good God, that's a lot of sauce! I've got heart burn just looking at that.
Old 11-10-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would eat.
Old 11-10-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
That's not ham, it's thin sliced

Ah, well, nevertheless I'm very finicky when it comes to meat pizza toppings. I seem to have an extreme gustatory sensitivity to rancid pork and old-tasting chicken. Sometimes we'll be eating sausages like those pictured above, and they taste rancid to me, whereas no one else at the table has a complaint.
Old 11-10-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My god, I hope that tastes better than it looks. It looks like they put an uncooked can of stewed tomatoes on the top of a pizza crust.
Old 11-10-14, 09:42 PM
Banned

I honestly didn't know wtf was on that thing until I read the post. Looks like an uncontainable mess.
Old 11-10-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I honestly didn't know wtf was on that thing until I read the post. Looks like an uncontainable mess.
That's nothing compared to the uncontainable mess you'll have in the restroom the next day.

It's like someone had a vendetta against everyone that loves cheesy pizza and was like, "You like cheese on your pizza? It's still there, but good luck finding it under 6 pounds of tomato sauce. Oh yeah, we also made our dough three times thicker because, fuck you, we can."

Last edited by Obey The D; 11-10-14 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Atlanta was the hippie center of the South in the late 1960s - early 1970s. On the few occasions that my suburban family drove into Atlanta during that time, I and my sister would ask if we could "go see the hippies" and we always did, driving up Peachtree Street/Road and seeing hundreds of the young people hanging out in storefronts and on the sidewalks. I don't know how the scene compared to other places on the East Coast but it seemed pretty substantial to me.

About Mellow Mushroom: I have been to a couple of them and didn't care for the pizza. I like Fellini's among other places much better.

Another bit about Mellow Mushroom: In the 1970s through the early 1980s, the chain expanded into a number of locations, often in seedier, run-down locations. Most of the time they bought the properties rather than renting. As time went by, almost all of these areas went through substantial development/growth/gentrification, and the owners found themselves sitting on many millions of dollars of valuable real estate. I think they spun off a separate development company with the money from the sale of some of it.
Old 11-10-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because of black olives!
Old 11-10-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I remember when pizza was 15 cents a slice in the Bronx and every pizza joint was run by Italians. And it was ALL good. Today, pizza in New York is made by Albanians and Mexicans, even on Arthur Avenue, and it's pretty bad. There are still a couple of decent places where I can get a slice in Manhattan including one on Park Ave. south of 23rd Street, but that's about it.
Seems like 10 years ago there was a pizza place every block or so...not any more. I guess with rents going up and all sorts of fancy new high(er) priced establishments coming in they are just a victim of the times. Still good pizza to be had in NYC, but not as easy to find.
Old 11-10-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whatever you may think of Yelp, 4.5/5 out of nearly three thousand reviews is not an easy score to get, even for a good pizza place.
Old 11-11-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whatever you may think of Yelp, 4.5/5 out of nearly three thousand reviews is not an easy score to get, even for a good pizza place.
Why have I never heard of this place. Next time I'm in in the Bay Area I must stop here.
Old 10-16-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...because it's nothing but sugar....and more sugar.
Old 10-16-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no idea why pizza is so popular, but this morning I cracked open an egg and two yolks came out...this happen to anyone else?
Old 10-16-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I used to get this pizza at a restaurant across the street from the barracks in Berlin. It was called Pizza Apollo, a small 10" tossed crust with sauce, cheese, and ham, then they cracked an egg onto it as soon as they removed it from the oven. The egg cooked from residual heat on the way to the table. Delicious.

Never got two yolks there, though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.