Old 11-01-14, 10:34 PM

Re: Why Is Pizza So Popular?

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
What's that name of the place?
Bob's Country Bunker.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Pizza Hut

I pretty much agree with everyone here. Anybody ever read that G.I. Joe comic book about the invention of pizza?

Old 11-01-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyway, like I was sayin', pizza is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, pizza-kabobs, pizza creole, pizza gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple pizza, lemon pizza, coconut pizza, pepper pizza, pizza soup, pizza stew, pizza salad, pizza and potatoes, pizza burger, pizza sandwich. That- that's about it.
Old 11-01-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Because it's easy. Pizza gave my best friend Jimmy a handy behind the shop building.
Old 11-01-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I can think of exactly one time when I had pizza that was so bad I couldn't eat it. That's a pretty good track record for a food product.

On the other hand, we still talk about the pizza we had when travelling through northeast Ohio back in 1999. I even googled the place and it's still there. Maybe next summer...
Yeah, one of the last times I went to Vegas, I got sick as a dog with some kind of flu-like thing. I spent a whole day - literally - in bed in my room at The Flamingo. I found a flyer for a 24-hour pizza place that delivered, and since I didn't want to go anywhere, I ordered. It was the *worst* pizza I've ever had. I wish I remembered the name of that place, just so I could warn people about it.

But yeah... I still compare all pizza to the first pizza I remember eating: Ken's Pizza. I still think about going to Atlanta Hawks games when I was a kid: my dad and I used to stop at this pizza place in The Omni Complex (now CNN Center). Or, if we were running late, he'd get me a slice at the game. There was just something about that Omni pizza... There were no spices in the sauce, it was mixed in with the cheese, so the cheese had little flakes of oregano on it... Goddamn, it was delicious!
Old 11-01-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Because it's easy. Pizza gave my best friend Jimmy a handy behind the shop building.
If that pizza was from Blackjack or Anthony's I think I ate it as soon as it was finished with Jimmy.
Old 11-02-14, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does this question even need asking? It's pizza, that's why!
Old 11-02-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am the only person I know who doesn't really like pizza. My friends have razzed me about it for years. I will eat it at a party if it's just cheese, and only if there's nothing else. But I never really enjoy it.
Old 11-02-14, 12:40 AM

If your real friends razz you about it, just wait until your frenemies at DVDTalk catch wind of it...
Old 11-02-14, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember when pizza was 15 cents a slice in the Bronx and every pizza joint was run by Italians. And it was ALL good. Today, pizza in New York is made by Albanians and Mexicans, even on Arthur Avenue, and it's pretty bad. There are still a couple of decent places where I can get a slice in Manhattan including one on Park Ave. south of 23rd Street, but that's about it.
Old 11-02-14, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I was wondering last night, while eating pizza. Why is it so popular, and why does it almost always fit any occasion?

My guess is:

1) Anything can be put on it so it applies to meat lovers, cheese lovers, and veggie queens alike.

2) It's somewhat salty.

3) Easy to eat. Just use your hands.

I remember when pizza used to be a treat for weekend, or some special occasion, but now it seems it's more common.
Also can be eaten hot or cold. Tastes great reheated as well.
Old 11-02-14, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Tastes great reheated as well.
I believe White Pizza was created especially for reheating. It tastes absolutely amazing the next day.

That said, pizza was also a treat in our family. My Grandma used to make a killer pizza from scratch, on a big square sheet pan, and she wasn't even Italian.
Old 11-02-14, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I remember when pizza was 15 cents a slice in the Bronx and every pizza joint was run by Italians. And it was ALL good. Today, pizza in New York is made by Albanians and Mexicans, even on Arthur Avenue, and it's pretty bad. There are still a couple of decent places where I can get a slice in Manhattan including one on Park Ave. south of 23rd Street, but that's about it.
My first time to the City was in December of 2012 and it took me forever to find a pizza place that didn't suck. It wasn't until my second last day there that a local told me to go to Grimaldi's so I tried them and it was pretty good.

Every other place I went to was just awful. I stayed at a hotel in Long Island City and had a pie delivered to my room. I couldn't eat more than a bite because it was layered in grease and the dough was raw. Another place i had gone to was a chain called Hot & Crusty, and the pizza wasn't hot but it was very crusty (and not very good).

Even where I was raised upstate we had a lot of NYC transplants so I had what I thought was authentic pizza growing up, but the "real stuff" there now was bland and rather forgettable.
Old 11-02-14, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can make it anyway you want. No cheese, no meat, all meat, all veggies, no sauce, just sauce, fruit, fish, beef, pork, anything. It is hard not to like something that can be made of just the things you like.
Old 11-02-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
Because - in most cases - it's a greasy, salty, fatty mess covered in cheese. It's junk food.

Of course Americans love it.
Or you can get the good stuff!

Dominos when I'm piss poor. Gourmet place when I am less poor and have cash.
Old 11-02-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Because even bad pizza is good, and good pizza is awesome.
Generally speaking, that's true. But if there are toppings that make you gag - then the pizza is ruined. While I like pineapples, it's disgusting on a pizza and makes the pizza uneatable.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Pizza is so 2012. It's all about burritos now.
I agree. I really love burritos. The great thing about them is they can be relatively healthy for you - depending on what you put in them. Burritos deserve their own thread.
Old 11-02-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pineapple on pizza has been the greatest pizza innovation since pepperoni on pizza!
Old 11-02-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-02-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Because even bad pizza is good, and good pizza is awesome.
/Thread
Old 11-02-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember when pizza was 15 cents a slice in the Bronx and every pizza joint was run by Italians. And it was ALL good.
Of course you had to wear an onion tied to your belt because that was the style at the time.
Old 11-02-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The reason pizza is so popular stems from its invention in the 15th century, when many still thought the earth was flat. The circular disc shape was meant to represent the Earth, with various ingredients on top being either islands or clouds in the sky. It was actually originally called Earth Food, but was later changed to Pizza as its popularity burgeoned, because Earth Food was a fucking stupid name.
Old 11-03-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Because it goes good with beer.

I remember the days when Nino's Pizza on Saint Marks & Avenue A in Manhattan's Lower East Side was some of the best.

Today there is a spot in Hoboken, NJ called Benny Tudinos thats real good and the slices are huge.

Old 11-03-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Pineapple on pizza has been the greatest pizza innovation since pepperoni on pizza!
Although I like all pizza the pineapple and ham was far and above my favorite. Then a girl turned me on to pepperoni and pineapple and my eyes were opened. Ham is bland so I should have seen it sooner (who orders just ham on a pizza?). I feel like a chump not knowing this all these wasted years.
Old 11-03-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Although I like all pizza the pineapple and ham was far and above my favorite. Then a girl turned me on to pepperoni and pineapple and my eyes were opened. Ham is bland so I should have seen it sooner (who orders just ham on a pizza?). I feel like a chump not knowing this all these wasted years.
Capicola is a great compromise between the two if your places have it as a topping.
Old 11-03-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Capicola is a great compromise between the two if your places have it as a topping.
I live in San Diego, I doubt anyone here has ever heard of capicola outside of The Sopranos

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.