Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Poor-Man's Big Mac

Old 10-28-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Poor-Man's Big Mac

My kid told me about a supposed McDonald's "secret menu" item, called the Poor-Man's Big Mac.

Order a McDouble off the Dollar Menu. Have them hold the ketchup & mustard, add Big Mac sauce & lettuce.

It is missing sesame seeds and the middle bun layer, and the toppings are in a different place, but ingredient-wise it seems nearly identical.... and with the cheese between both beef patties it's almost certain to be more melted than in a Big Mac. Best of all, instead of $3.89 to $4.69, it's a buck. Maybe a buck and a quarter if they charge you for the sauce.

Anyone tried this?
Old 10-28-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Poor-Man's Big Mac

I did try this when the McDouble was still $1 here (it's $1.49 now). It was pretty good, but not cost effective now since a lot of McDonald's have Big Macs for $2.50 around the area.
Old 10-28-14, 09:37 PM

Yup. I've done this several times, but never got it with lettuce. Most McD's didn't charge extra for the sauce, but others did, so it was a crapshoot.
Old 10-28-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck that. No wonder the lines get long in the drive-thru.

Order your fucking food and MOVE!
Old 10-28-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Burger King's Big King (2 for $5) is okay and similar to the Big Mac. The meat seems better but BK uses too much of the cheese sauce.
Old 10-28-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

I think Taco Bell and Del Taco are the only places I don't special order anything at. I don't like whole tomatoes or pickles so if I'm ordering a burger I have them leave it off.
Old 10-28-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
I did try this when the McDouble was still $1 here (it's $1.49 now). It was pretty good, but not cost effective now since a lot of McDonald's have Big Macs for $2.50 around the area.
Look at your menu carefully. There's a McDouble and there's a Double Cheeseburger. The two sandwiches are identical except for the # of cheese slices. The McDouble is usually a buck, the Double Cheeseburger is usually $1.39-1.49 depending on your region.
Old 10-28-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Look at your menu carefully. There's a McDouble and there's a Double Cheeseburger. The two sandwiches are identical except for the # of cheese slices. The McDouble is usually a buck, the Double Cheeseburger is usually $1.39-1.49 depending on your region.
Yes. I'm aware of the difference. I've eaten there more than I ever care to admit.

The pricing scheme isn't like that in California. They changed their Dollar Menu to "Dollar Menu and More." The only thing actually $1 on their menu besides the soda is the Sausage McMuffin and Sausage Biscuit.

The Double Cheeseburger is $1.99 and the McDouble is $1.49.
Old 10-28-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok I have to agree with you on this. But only this, damn it.
Old 10-28-14, 11:37 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

Del Taco
Old 10-29-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I must have looked poor one day while slumming at McDs as the cashier tried to talk me into a McDouble as opposed to a Double Cheeseburger.
Old 10-29-14, 07:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Yes. I'm aware of the difference. I've eaten there more than I ever care to admit.

The pricing scheme isn't like that in California. They changed their Dollar Menu to "Dollar Menu and More." The only thing actually $1 on their menu besides the soda is the Sausage McMuffin and Sausage Biscuit.

Still more cost effective than $2.50 to $4 though.
Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
I must have looked poor one day while slumming at McDs as the cashier tried to talk me into a McDouble as opposed to a Double Cheeseburger.
Or fat.
Old 10-29-14, 07:30 AM
Banned

haha
Old 10-29-14, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here in Manhattan, there is no such thing as a dollar menu
Old 10-29-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah! That's California for you. I only figured out the difference between the two a year or so ago, and have been surprised at how many folks don't know that.

Guess I just run with stupid people.
Old 10-29-14, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Or fat.
Old 10-29-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This!
Old 10-29-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or fat.

Trevor's best post ever!
Old 10-29-14, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post

Trevor's best post ever!
I hope not! For all of you subject to the other ~25,000.

But speaking of menu stupidity, I've had people in front of me order one Quarter Pounder, and when pointed out that two are the same price as one they still just order and pay full price for the one.
Old 10-29-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But speaking of menu stupidity, I've had people in front of me order one Quarter Pounder, and when pointed out that two are the same price as one they still just order and pay full price for the one.
When I go to the movies, I have a refillable popcorn bucket. It costs, $3.50 to refill it, but I ask for them only to fill it half way (full bucket is close to a large, half is about medium by my guess), I still get charged the same $3.50 as a full bucket. I do that because if I had a full bucket of popcorn in front of me, I would likely eat a full bucket of popcorn. Maybe these people are the same way, if they had two quarter pounders, they would eat both, lack of will power.
That being said I would most definitely get the the second burger and put in fridge for another meal, hoping I had will power not to eat the second in meantime.

On topic, I would want to try this, I've only really done special items at taco bell by making cheesy gordita crunches with the doritos shells before it became a menu item.. I do think if I special things like this I would go inside, if possible, to not cause a line at drive up.
Old 10-29-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nasesco417 View Post
Yup. I've done this several times, but never got it with lettuce. Most McD's didn't charge extra for the sauce, but others did, so it was a crapshoot.
Can you give us a listing of the McDonald's that charged the 9 cents for extra sauce and the ones that didn't?
Old 10-29-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not even efficient to do this - and all you do is hold up the line and they'll most likely get your order wrong anyway, because McDonald's items are already prepared a certain way. Once you start tweaking the shit then there's more room for error. It also doesn't really matter if you do this at the drive-thru or inside - you start with your eccentric order and they will mess it up and people will wait longer for their food.
Old 10-29-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Ah! That's California for you. I only figured out the difference between the two a year or so ago, and have been surprised at how many folks don't know that.

Guess I just run with stupid people.
The McDouble was only created and added to the dollar menu in 2008 when the Double Cheesburger was taken off of the dollar menu. I guess that extra slice of cheese made it too costly to sell for a dollar somehow?

Anyway, a lot of places are raising the prices of everything on the dollar menu now.
Old 10-29-14, 09:57 AM

It's not even efficient to do this - and all you do is hold up the line and they'll most likely get your order wrong anyway, because McDonald's items are already prepared a certain way. Once you start tweaking the shit then there's more room for error. It also doesn't really matter if you do this at the drive-thru or inside - you start with your eccentric order and they will mess it up and people will wait longer for their food.
Nope.

I've worked fast food and order special items almost every time thru. It takes maybe a couple extra seconds to make a special item; and I've never had to wait for my extra item orders.

Sure, if you have an order with several different substitutions it will cause a delay, but adding lettuce and sauce? A couple seconds.
Old 10-29-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad told me about this a few years ago, he's a regional supervisor in the south. People figured this out so they started charging way extra to either discourage it or just make some money off of it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.