Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Epic failure of Epic Con

Old 10-28-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Epic failure of Epic Con

I have a soft spot for this con because it took place in my neck of the woods. Essentially it was con that was due to take place in Dayton Ohio from October 24-27th. They listed a bunch of actors on the website including Walter Koeing, Adrian Paul, Tony Todd, Certina Vincent and others. They had around fifty guests listed and about forty cancelled. From there this just goes totally off the rails. Guests not receiving plane tickets, vendors not getting what they paid for, $200 VIP tickets not being refunded. The con claiming other cons were strong arming them into failing.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...by-some/nhtBh/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...o-describe-it/

So this makes me wonder, what the heck is happening with conventions and what was the worst one anyone ever attended?
Old 10-28-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Epic failure of Epic Con

Pretty much the same thing happened here last year with Port City Pop Con. One and done. Over priced tickets, guy running it was rude to people on the Facebook event page, VIP tickets did not get promised rewards. Word on FB was the organizers left town and never responded to complaints etc etc.

I won a free ticket and met Ernie Hudson, Taimak and Jessica Nigri so it wasnt a total loss, but overall the whole thing was a flop, there was hardly anyone there. The only real excitement was Jessica and Destiny Nicholson organized a cosplay contest. Hardly any vendors and plenty of empty tables and booths.

At one point I saw Taimak sitting at his table, alone and eating pop corn just like the Last Dragon. Ernie said it sucked and he was ready to leave
Old 10-28-14, 12:38 PM

I do not know the Dayton situation, but the whole strong arming them to fail may not be all that false. Earlier this year, there was supposed to be a big pop culture con in Cleveland. They ran spots on the radio and had a decent lineup established. Then the spots stopped and the website announced the con was cancelled because another company (Wizard) had claimed they own the exclusive rights to run such conventions in the city (which they have not yet held one.) The organizers said they didn't have the resources to contest the claim so they closed up shop and issued the appropriate refunds. Wizard is finally holding their convention here early next year.
Old 10-28-14, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

I live in Dayton, and I had not even heard about the event happening.
Old 10-28-14, 01:44 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Reminds me of this Friday the 13th con that was supposed to take place a few years ago. http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/06/08/h...ow-convention/

There was a thread about the con on some page that was fascinating... how it devolved from something people were excited about to the slow revelation the promoter was a lying scumbag scammer.
Old 10-28-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank God the Fresh Prince con keeps going stronger every year.
Old 10-28-14, 03:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
The mood was down a bit this year due to James Avery's passing, but the tribute they did for him was wonderful.
Old 10-28-14, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Fresh Prince Con has been going well, but nearly got derailed forever. Didn't you hear about the riot that nearly happened last year when some troll started rumors of a Fresh Prince reboot starring Will Smith's kid? Only the news of Carlton joining the cast of Dancing With The Stars eased that crowd.
Old 10-28-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak View Post
Fresh Prince Con has been going well, but nearly got derailed forever. Didn't you hear about the riot that nearly happened last year when some troll started rumors of a Fresh Prince reboot starring Will Smith's kid? Only the news of Carlton joining the cast of Dancing With The Stars eased that crowd.
some footage supporting this was released

Spoiler:
Old 10-28-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This reminds me of the wrestling business, where any idiot who comes into a few bucks and gets a few contacts thinks they can be a promoter. Then all they do is book a bunch of names and throw up a facebook page and think that the show will sell itself, clueless about how to really promote it. Then all of a sudden when their pre-sales are shit, they don't send plane tickets to the talent, or worse, they do send them tickets, and but then don't pay them when they do show up.

I was loosely involved with a "Legends" wrestling show in Traverse City Michigan in 2003. The ring was rented from a friend of mine and I tagged along as ring crew. The show was filled top to bottom with names from the wrestling business (which is quite unusual for an independent wrestling show, usually there's at most a few names, filled out with a bunch of local guys who work cheap). The first clue that something was wrong was that everyone was paid with checks, which is a big no-no in independent wrestling. The second clue is that the checks were issued by the name of the promotion, and WRESTLING was misspelled on the check ("Westling"). So the show starts and there's no more than 100 fans at this thing, so it's obvious that it's a BIG TIME money loser. The promoter killed herself the next morning.

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 10-28-14 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-28-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When the word "CON" became prevalent, you should have started worrying.
Old 10-28-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like the people running this convention bit off more than they could chew, and had more money going out than coming in.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume their intentions were good and they didn't know what they were getting into and the whole thing spiraled out of control, but looking at the way they dealt with the clusterfuck they created, i'm not sure what to think.

I don't really do the convention thing, but I have heard about other cons going bad like this one.
Old 10-28-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Sounds like the people running this convention bit off more than they could chew, and had more money going out than coming in.
Yeah same thing happened at the one I described. They announced all these guest and started cutting them a couple of weeks before the event because they couldnt afford them all. It was a shame though cause one of the cuts was Jim Kelly, who died the following month. It wouldve been great to get a pic with him and Taimak.
Old 10-29-14, 01:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
This reminds me of the wrestling business, where any idiot who comes into a few bucks and gets a few contacts thinks they can be a promoter. Then all they do is book a bunch of names and throw up a facebook page and think that the show will sell itself, clueless about how to really promote it. Then all of a sudden when their pre-sales are shit, they don't send plane tickets to the talent, or worse, they do send them tickets, and but then don't pay them when they do show up.

I was loosely involved with a "Legends" wrestling show in Traverse City Michigan in 2003. The ring was rented from a friend of mine and I tagged along as ring crew. The show was filled top to bottom with names from the wrestling business (which is quite unusual for an independent wrestling show, usually there's at most a few names, filled out with a bunch of local guys who work cheap). The first clue that something was wrong was that everyone was paid with checks, which is a big no-no in independent wrestling. The second clue is that the checks were issued by the name of the promotion, and WRESTLING was misspelled on the check ("Westling"). So the show starts and there's no more than 100 fans at this thing, so it's obvious that it's a BIG TIME money loser. The promoter killed herself the next morning.
.... well thanks for making us happy.
Old 10-31-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Things like this are going to start happening more. There are cons popping up left and right, and only so many celebrities to go around. Making big promises, and then not following through, that sucks.
Old 10-31-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The promoter killed herself the next morning.
Frealz?
Old 10-31-14, 03:28 PM

That's a true story. I have a couple friends who are big into wrestling that actually helped that woman out. They dressed up in wrestling masks and held signs by the road to try to get attention. They were freaked out when they heard what happened.
Old 10-31-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Frealz?
Yup.

http://www.pwbts.com/columns/b070803.html
Old 10-31-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit that turned dark in the last sentence.
Old 10-31-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, sorry bout that, but I wasn't sure how else to put it. Being someone who was directly involved, it was a wild emotion swing for me at the time, as I went from being incredibly pissed off at the woman to incredibly sorry for her.
Old 10-31-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that wasn't a scammer, that was someone who just got in way over her head. Shit got dark.
Old 10-31-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So where in Dayton was this Con supposed to happen? The Convention Center? Hara Arena? Nutter Center? Hotel?
Old 10-31-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

... there's no more than 100 fans at this thing, so it's obvious that it's a BIG TIME money loser. The promoter killed herself the next morning.
Old 10-31-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Preterite View Post
Yeah, that wasn't a scammer, that was someone who just got in way over her head. Shit got dark.
The point was, I don't think most of these start out intending to be scams, but people think they can book some names and throw up a facebook page or a poorly made website and people will just come to them and they will rake in the dough. They don't all end that tragically, but I think it's the same type of story.
Old 11-01-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
So where in Dayton was this Con supposed to happen? The Convention Center? Hara Arena? Nutter Center? Hotel?
Montgomery County Fairgrounds. That should have been a tip-off right there. When was the last good con that took place at a fairgrounds?

Found this news report from a few days ago:

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 11-01-14 at 08:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.