Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Questions about Workers' Comp (& Taxes)

Old 10-23-14, 02:39 PM
Banned

Questions about Workers' Comp (& Taxes)

Bear with me here... I've learned that Working with Job A's Worker's Comp, TX Dept of Worker's Comp, and Job B's LOA office....is a shit ton of paperwork. And they don't email/mail it immediately for me.

I was wondering how this works out for when I need to do taxes.

I broke my wrist on the first of the month. Job A's negligence, so they're covering me for everything. Can't go to work at at Job B cuz of the wrist so the job where I did break my wrist is compensating for what I'm losing over there. I'm still working at Job A.

My question is: How does all that figure into my W2?
The part where I'm getting compensated for my wages at Job B. Does that fall into the W2 for Job A? How does something like this affect doing taxes, if anything?

The other thing bothering me is that I haven't been paid yet for what I've lost at Job B. I sent in the paperwork last week for direct Deposit. And Job B apparently hasn't sent it my wage statement or Job A hasn't done anything with it somehow or something.

Is this part the annoying part for Workers Compensation? The waiting for them to pay you part...

Cuz I'm not digging not getting paid for what I've lost. It's actually scary seeing how much I'm not pulling now w/o the other job. I've no idea If i'm going to make it for the beginning of November. I'm pretty terrified actually. I haven't spent a dime on anything aside from groceries, bills, gas, and watching an early matinee on Fridays. And seeing that bank account get tighter and tighter with this grand hope of at some point getting my compensation check is making me desperate. Like I'm scared.
Old 10-23-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Questions about Workers' Comp (& Taxes)

So I asked my wife who does WCI in CALIFORNIA (She emphasized this is for CALIFORNIA ONLY AND MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU)

Workers Comp payouts are tax free. So no worries about any of it. IN CALIFORNIA.
Old 10-23-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, Job A is paying for your medical and lost wages at their job, but they're also paying for your lost wages at Job B, too? Typically WC is non-taxable.
Old 10-23-14, 04:48 PM
Banned

I didn't lose any wages at Job A. I'm still working for them fine. They're paying my medical and then they are paying my lost wages at Job B.

I just haven't been paid yet. And it is nerveracking as fuck.
Old 10-23-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I just haven't been paid yet. And it is nerveracking as fuck.
It really is. I deal with WC a lot; you should see the behind the scenes hit that goes on to get this stuff billed. If one person misses a number or a letter on any of the e-file paperwork everything get messed up. The adjusters take forever to respond to inquiries. They sit on mailing money to the patient. It's a never-ending cycle.

Hope it works out quickly for you.

Last edited by My Other Self; 10-23-14 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-23-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You still work for Job A but you're actually working right this second, right? If so, I would ask for time off in addition to the WC you're getting.

You don't them to say that you're injuring is not that bad, because you're still coming to work.
Old 11-10-14, 01:40 PM
Banned

Holy Fuck. They are taking for-fucking-ever on getting me my compensation check. That's a month of "pay" that I'm missing out on. I'm officially down to about to start using my credit card to pay for the bills. Cuz it is coming soon. But the "soon" is a vague invisible thing that can't be be defined in "time" for them. I've $439.71 in my account now. I have to admit. This shit is scary.
Old 11-10-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife said, "Has your claim been accepted, yet?" Or has it been delayed. You should have received a notice of acceptance or delayed. Who is administering your claim? Is it a insurance company or third party administer (TPA)?
Old 11-11-14, 05:14 AM
Banned

It has been accepted. I've got the paperwork and I've talked to the insurance people to know it has been accepted. I'm handling this through the insurance guys who've been doing everything with the claim.

I talked to them yesterday. They said it should come in this week at the latest.
Old 11-11-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hav ebeen on workmens comp twice. Both times it was a frustrating experience. I do remember it taking a while for the checks to start, and then they would come weekly. But they were always a week behind. Good thing for me was that those monies weren't taxed in my state.
Old 07-25-16, 01:27 PM

Big bump here (and maybe should be a new thread) but is it worth it to file for workers if its just a small time missed? I work at a cafe in the kitchen and was unplugging a cord which blew up in my hand causing burns. I missed about 4 days work...should I even bother?
Old 07-25-16, 02:08 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by beckham View Post
Big bump here (and maybe should be a new thread) but is it worth it to file for workers if its just a small time missed? I work at a cafe in the kitchen and was unplugging a cord which blew up in my hand causing burns. I missed about 4 days work...should I even bother?
I don't know what state you're in, so I don't know what law applies, but in most (probably all) states you would certainly be entitled claim both medical and indemnity (lost wages) for that.

The question of whether you should file is a more practical one: Factors to consider: how much medical bills were (and whether you paid anything out of pocket), how much your lost wages were, whether you work for a big impersonal company or a small business, what you think your future is there, whether you think filing would be viewed negatively against you by your superior(s), etc.