Reload this Page >

Traveling Abroad: Finland Edition

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-20-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well now that I'm with my new company, they are sending me to Finland for two weeks. My flight, hotel, and per diem are taken care of. I'm flying solo. Never been out of the country in my life. What are your travel tips?
Old 10-20-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 647 Likes on 503 Posts
Re: Traveling Abroad: Finland Edition

First class it. If the job paid for coach then upgrade. It'll be worth it.
Old 10-20-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
First class it. If the job paid for coach then upgrade. It'll be worth it.
I flew coach a couple of years ago to New York. I don't think I could handle it half-way around the world. Of course, I couldn't realistically afford Business Class on an international trip so if the company is paying for it then by all means.
Old 10-20-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
I flew coach a couple of years ago to New York. I don't think I could handle it half-way around the world. Of course, I couldn't realistically afford Business Class on an international trip so if the company is paying for it then by all means.

Whoops, you're right, I forgot this was international.

Drink a lot of alcohol and sleep.
Old 10-20-14, 10:47 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7rwc3VGvlRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-20-14, 11:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 738 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher View Post
Well now that I'm with my new company, they are sending me to Finland for two weeks. My flight, hotel, and per diem are taken care of. I'm flying solo. Never been out of the country in my life. What are your travel tips?
I've never been to Finland, so these are just general tips based on my own experience.
- Only drink bottled water. Tap water is "different" everywhere you go, and can cause... problems.
- Work trip? Use your credit card for every transaction that you can. It's easier to get compensated properly later. I know you're getting per diem, but that may not necessarily cover everything. Not sure how your company works.
- Tell your CC company that you're travelling. Otherwise, they MAY get nervous the first time you use your card abroad, and put a hold on it until you contact them. It's rare... but it happened to me.
- GO SEE STUFF. Every day, if you can. I know, jet lag will get to you, but fight it and go out. Once in a lifetime trip... don't waste it in the hotel room. I've done THAT too many times and 100% regret it.
- Pack as lightly as you can, just in case you need extra room to bring stuff back. If you're planning to bring a LOT back, then consider stuffing a small suitcase inside your bigger suitcase. That way, you'll have lots of extra luggage space for stuff.
- If you can choose/change your airline seats, keep an eye on it in the week before your flight. Change it up if you see better seats become vacant. On long-ass flights, I always go for an AISLE seat in the MIDDLE section (assuming three sections in each row). That way, you can get up whenever you want, and you rarely need to get up for someone else to get in/out of their seat.
- Get some local currency (preferably from a bank before you leave), but not too much. I usually only get about $200 worth of cash, mainly for cabs since not all countries have cabs that take cards.
Old 10-21-14, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finland, home of White Death (Simo Hayha), a sniper who during the Winter War had 505 confirmed kills in 100 days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

The Winter War was a four month war during the winter of '39 when Russia invaded Finland (they were repulsed).
Old 10-21-14, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Where in Finland are you going? If you are down south near Helsinki and have some free time, hop over to Tallinn, Estonia. I hear its beautiful. We haven't done Finland yet but plan on doing it, probably for Christmas. Be prepared for the cold weather. It was down in the mid 40s last weekend when we were in Norway. As far as travel tips:

-3 hours is a good recommendation for showing up to the flight, especially in America. Security is unpredictable and it's better to arrive for your flight relaxed than in a hurry. European security is a little more lax, so you can probably do 2 hours before and be fine.

-I agree with aisle in the middle row if at all possible. The only better spot would be right behind a divider since they generally provide more leg room. Downside to that is that your tv will be in your armrest more than likely, so on landing you will have to stow it and can't watch a show. They set landing condition pretty early, so your talking about 30-40 minutes of doing nothing. The middle row can be better as you have a better chance that no one will be next to you (at least in my experience).

-Make sure to scan the plane as everyone is boarding to look for open seats with more room. Unless their is a weight and balance issue, attendants don't mind if you switch seats. You just have to act quickly.

-Bring a few snack items on the trip with you. Airline food has gotten better, but nothing beats a nice little snack. If your flight is early in the morning, eat light. I discovered a salad with eggs, ham, cheese, and a few other items is the best meal for an early flight. It will give you energy while not making you feel bloated for the first part of your flight.

-If at all possible don't bring a bag that you have to stow above you. Get a laptop bag that you can slide under your seat. It will make grabbing items quicker and easier.

-Invest in comfortable headphones. Don't rely on their headphones. Buy the little headphone jack that has two prongs so you can use your headphones on the inflight system. In some newer planes this is not an issue, but I haven't come across an American airline that it isn't.

-Avoid coffee, drink some alcohol (not too much).

-Figure out how you are getting from the airport to your hotel ahead of time. Many airports here have railway lines that go directly to city center for a way better price than a taxi.

-Be sure to look up exchange rates before you arrive. I made the mistake of not checking before I went to Bahrain and ended up pulling $700 from the ATM. Way more than I needed, even for a week.

-Always carry a little cash on you. As someone said above, some taxis don't take cards. Also, many of the bathrooms are a few euro cents. By the way, when looking for a bathroom over in Europe look for a WC sign. It means water closet and it's what they call most public restrooms over here.

-Be prepared for high food prices. In Switzerland and Norway we couldn't find a hotdog and a coke cheaper than $17 and I doubt it is any different in Finland. If you want to save money and your hotel has a kitchen, you can buy groceries. Keep in mind that you have to pay for plastic bags or bring your own bag.

-Don't worry about a language barrier, most everyone up north speaks English as well as their national language. Learn a few phrases like please and thank you and I'm sure it will go far.

-Talking to your CC company is a great idea, especially to find out what their exchange rate is and if there will be any extra charges.

Northern Europe is beautiful and if you have the time, definitely get out and explore. If you want to do tours, Viator is a great company. Keep in mind it is the offseason though, so everything might not be available. As far as the plane goes, I love flying. In my job I've flown over 1,000 hour and for personnel travel I've done way more than that. The biggest thing is to relax on the plane. Don't let a crying baby or fussy passenger irritate you. Put your headphones on and read or watch something. You have any layovers in Europe?

Last edited by beavis69; 10-21-14 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-21-14, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have fun in the land of the retarded lion.
Old 10-21-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Finland, home of White Death (Simo Hayha), a sniper who during the Winter War had 505 confirmed kills in 100 days. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4 The Winter War was a four month war during the winter of '39 when Russia invaded Finland (they were repulsed).
I read about him a Cracked article, of all places. Fascinating stuff.

A friend of mine went to Finland as part of an exchange program a number of years ago, spent months there, she seemed to like it.
Old 10-21-14, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Finland, home of White Death (Simo Hayha), a sniper who during the Winter War had 505 confirmed kills in 100 days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

The Winter War was a four month war during the winter of '39 when Russia invaded Finland (they were repulsed).
damn.

He preferred to use iron sights rather than telescopic sights to present a smaller target for the enemy (a sniper must raise his head higher when using a telescopic sight), to increase accuracy (a telescopic sight's glass can fog up easily in cold weather), and to aid in concealment (sunlight glare in telescopic sight lenses can reveal a sniper's position). As well as these tactics, he was also known to keep snow in his mouth whilst sniping, to reduce steamy breaths giving away his position in the cold air.
Old 10-21-14, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts

Wow, and no mention of the Finnish women. Here's some guidelines....and go buy yourself a sailor hat before you go.

http://www.returnofkings.com/655/9-t...-and-its-girls

9 Things Every Guy Should Know About Finland (And Its Girls)

1. The street fashion blog Hel Looks does not represent the typical style in Finland. While many girls like to wear bright pastel colors and other hipster garb, they don’t typically look like freaks that just stepped off an intergalactic spaceship. Skrillex haircuts aren’t as common as in Iceland and Denmark, and I ended up being surprised at how nicely some girls dressed. After the shock of the first day settled down (I did come from feminine Ukraine, after all), I wasn’t all too upset with the level of talent I found. They are hands down more attractive than American women.

2. The biggest factor hurting the attractiveness of Finnish girls is not feminine or hipster style but obesity. There is a McDonald’s literally on every block, and Finnish people have taken to it wholesale. You can only shake your head when you see a fat Finnish person waiting patiently in line to grab a burger or hot dog after a night of heavy drinking. This is a shame since Finnish people aren’t genetically ugly. What ends up happening is that the hot girls have tons of beta orbiters who keep them entertained and busy because no one wants a fattie.

3. Girls are open to dating other races. I saw quite a few brown and black guys with Finnish girlfriends. The kicker is that these guys are speaking in Finnish, so they have integrated into the culture. Liberal guilt is so strong in Scandinavia that girls feel ashamed to not give minority guys a fair chance. You won’t encounter racism here.

4. Day game is not the best way to meet girls. They are helpful if you approach, but they don’t really bite, especially on the street (better responses can be had in coffee shops). Girls are not as shy as Icelanders but still significantly shyer than Americans. I didn’t see the point in day gaming much when I found out that girls were more open at night due to self-drugging themselves with copious amounts of booze.

5. Girls are better looking than Danes and Swedes and are just a hair better than Icelanders. I think the reason that Finnish girls do well is because there has been genetic mixing from the East. Many girls have Slavic inspired faces that make you wonder if they’re from Russia or Latvia.

6. Americans are quite novel in Finland. Maybe not as much as in the Baltics or Poland, but you’ll meet a lot of people excited that you are from the States. Even if they hate American politics, they want to meet an ambassador to a culture that they generally enjoy.

7. People are incredibly friendly. One time I asked for directions and when I said “Thank you” they replied back with “Thank you.” They also seem to be a very trusting people who take things at face value. I’m sure they get scammed a lot when they travel.

8. There are tons of East Africans, mostly from Somalia. The African girls seem to be aiming for a Rihanna look. There are also many cute Asian girls. If you get bored with Finnish girls you can try your hard at some of the more ethnic minorities.

9. The biggest flaw in Finland is that it’s really only a summer destination. The winters are long, cold, and dark, meaning that vagina only comes out of hibernation in the summer to get pounded by American tourists. It doesn’t help that “summer” can be relative: even when I arrived in early June I got to experience chilly weather.

Other cultural features I noticed: uncomfortable coffee shops that are more like food diners, a strong skateboard culture, and an obsession with sailor hats among graduating students.
Old 10-21-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on how many hours the time change is for you, try adjusting your sleep schedule the week before you go if you can. If you've spent 3 or 4 days at home getting up at 2am, it's a whole lot easier when you get there, that leaves time for you to go out sightseeing without being exhausted.
Old 10-21-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The tap water's fine. Finland's a fun place. We went to Helsinki for a week a few years ago. The signs are as confusing as hell, but most people speak some English.
Jet lag last a day or two, and it's not as bad as people make out. Just go to bed at your usual time. You'll be tired the first day or two but you'll soon adjust.
Old 10-21-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Remember, Finland is largely responsible for why our fire trucks are red.

Fire trucks have 12 men on them. There are 12 inches in a foot. You measure feet with a ruler. Queen Elizabeth II is a ruler. Queen Elizabeth II is also a ship. Ships sail the oceans. Oceans have fish. Fish have fins. The Fins fought the Russians. And since fire trucks are always "rushin", fire trucks are red.
Old 10-21-14, 11:21 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 738 Likes on 526 Posts

Yeah, but... where does Obama fit in? I feel like it's his fault.
Old 10-21-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 10-21-14, 02:22 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

All Fins talk about is F1 racing and hockey. Read more here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...l#post11623809

Also, trespoochies that guy certainly has the classiest travel blog I've ever encountered. PBS should fire Rick Steves and hire that guy to do a series on International Snatch.
Old 10-21-14, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts

Ha! No kidding. Nice to know there are others who know of Rick Steves. I guess that's how Steves could get more current, a series on Euro hotties.
Old 10-22-14, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch "rare exports".

I'm 1/8th Finnish. My grandfather was 1/2 Finnish 1/2 Swedish and our family has a Finnish last name.

Having no culture, Rare Exports and Teemu Selanne is what I know about Finland.
Old 10-22-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury View Post
Watch "rare exports".

I'm 1/8th Finnish. My grandfather was 1/2 Finnish 1/2 Swedish and our family has a Finnish last name.

Having no culture, Rare Exports and Teemu Selanne is what I know about Finland.

You guys have beautiful white women. That's culture enough for me, yo.
Old 10-25-14, 03:40 PM

Lots of excellent tips here! I actually leave tomorrow afternoon, I'm looking forward to everything except for the fact that my first flight overseas ever will be solo. Anyone have tips on what to expect from customs, etc? I'm departing from Mpls > Amsterdam with a three hour layover, then a short flight to Helsinki. Just not sure what to expect. I managed to jam all of my shit into a carry-on and laptop bag, so hopefully no extra headaches of a checked bag.
Old 11-02-14, 03:46 AM

I've finally had some time to slow down and have a day with some rest. It's been a madhouse here in Finland, what a fucking blast. The women here are...wow. Their descendants that live by me in Minnesota are a clear-cut difference, it's amazing.