Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How often do you write in cursive?

Old 10-18-14, 12:02 AM
Banned

How often do you write in cursive?

I hardly ever write in cursive. Basically the only time I ever write in cursive is when something requires my signature. Although technically I guess a signature doesn't have to be in cursive, it just seems better that way and it's what I am used to doing.

Any other time I manually write something by hand, I never use cursive. Although now in the digital age, I hardly ever write things by hand period.

Do they still teach cursive in schools? I wonder if cursive will ever die out completely. In 100 years will it be like an ancient dead language that nobody can read anymore?
Old 10-18-14, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: How often do you write in cursive?

When I sign my name. Normal writing is a some type of hybrid of caps, lower case because I use what looks good to me.

I hardly have to write anything by hand at all these days. Other then a single note is rare and I say a note because it's quicker to access then getting out my phone.
Old 10-18-14, 01:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Signature only.

I remember hating cursive back in school and printing everything even when we were supposed to 'write'.
Old 10-18-14, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not regularly, alas. One should keep it up, I think.
Old 10-18-14, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My elementary school had two fourth grade teachers, yet only one (Mrs. Epperson) was qualified to teach us cursive for some reason. My classmates and I were all shuffled over to her room for thirty minutes a day until we got it down. She was a total tyrant about it, too: "No teacher you encounter in middle and high school will accept work not written in cursive. If you write in print, it will go in the trash can." Of course, not a single teacher I encountered after her gave a shit whether students used cursive or not.

The next year, we had to endure her again for some sort of creative writing assignment. The bitch totally called me out in front of the entire class when I turned in my first draft in print: "You learned cursive, correct? Then how dare you not use it in my classroom!" I think I avoid using it to this day out of spite.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-18-14 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When I was in grade school, I typed all of my papers using Speedscript on my Commodore 64 using an Okimate printer.
Old 10-18-14, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even my signature is a cursive/printed hybrid at this point.
Old 10-18-14, 07:28 AM
Banned

what's the point of cursive now? Aside from a signature... I do like to muck about with it out of boredom at times.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-18-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-18-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jory View Post
My natural handwriting is sort of a print/cursive hybrid, if that counts. As for full-blown cursive, I never use it, unless you count the complete fucking mess that is my signature.
same here, except that my general handwriting is also a complete fucking mess. When I print something, it looks like a 6 year old did it. I had to fill out a signature page and send it in for a financial thing, and I was actually embarrassed looking at how I printed my name and address on it. The real shame is my grandfather had absolutely beautiful penmanship, which lasted right up to the end. Even his final, wobbly signature looked better than anything I can do.

I'm old enough that I learned it in grade school, suffered through penmanship tests, and don't rely on electronic devices for everything.
Old 10-18-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Signature only. My printing is not too bad -- compliments of drafting class in high school.
Old 10-18-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just my signature but even the last few letters of that end up just being a squiggly line. Hell, I've forgotten even how to write some cursive letters. Not too long ago a few co-workers and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to remember how to write a cursive capital "Q"!
Old 10-18-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I journal, I use cursive because it is faster albeit sometimes harder to read lol.
Old 10-18-14, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
same here, except that my general handwriting is also a complete fucking mess. When I print something, it looks like a 6 year old did it. I had to fill out a signature page and send it in for a financial thing, and I was actually embarrassed looking at how I printed my name and address on it. The real shame is my grandfather had absolutely beautiful penmanship, which lasted right up to the end. Even his final, wobbly signature looked better than anything I can do.

I'm old enough that I learned it in grade school, suffered through penmanship tests, and don't rely on electronic devices for everything.
My grandfather lost half of his right thumb in an accident on a ranch long ago. His handwriting is a work of art. So beautiful. It's the most beautiful handwriting I've ever seen.
Old 10-18-14, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
same here, except that my general handwriting is also a complete fucking mess. When I print something, it looks like a 6 year old did it.
Are you a doctor? It always has amused me for whatever reason that doctors always have such bad handwriting. I have sometimes wondered if there is a class in med school that teaches them how to purposefully write poorly. Seriously, it is like they are trained to write that way, and they can seemingly read the writing of other doctors easily. Yet it looks like a bunch of gibberish to me. I take a prescription to the pharmacist or whatever, and I have no fricking clue what the writing actually says, but the pharmacist always reads it easily I guess.
Old 10-18-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Do they still teach cursive in schools?
I don't know about other states but they don't teach it around here... per a local teacher.
Old 10-18-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Just my signature but even the last few letters of that end up just being a squiggly line.
Same here.
I just tried writing some stuff in cursive as an experiment and I have indeed forgotten quite a bit.
Old 10-18-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just type in cursive.
Old 10-18-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use a cursive/print hybrid when I write.
Old 10-18-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Other than my signature, the only time I write cursive is when I write a check, which isn't that often.

Oh, and I don't go by my first name so when I have to sign something legal with my first name, I don't have that muscle memory to just sign. I actually stumble over the letters. It's weird, almost like signing someone else's name. I have to think about it as I sign.
Old 10-18-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not entirely sure I could even write in cursive anymore. I rarely write anything at this point, and when I do it's either print or my gibberish signature. Even my print is barely legible to me, and to anyone else they could only assume I was having a seizure when I was writing it.
Old 10-18-14, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Other than my signature, the only time I write cursive is when I write a check, which isn't that often.
I can't even remember the last time I wrote a check. It's been many many many years.

Heck, I don't really even use cash anymore either. I use my debit card for everything now. I just keep $50 in my wallet in case of emergencies, and that's it.
Old 10-18-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All of us wasted years in elementary school on a skill that got quickly eliminated from the marketplace.
Old 10-18-14, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
I can't even remember the last time I wrote a check. It's been many many many years.

Heck, I don't really even use cash anymore either. I use my debit card for everything now. I just keep $50 in my wallet in case of emergencies, and that's it.
I use check for rent. Cuz those bastards charge a goddamn fucking fee to pay rent via online. And they don't do cards at the apartment office. I used to keep 100 bucks in my wallet for emergencies but... then I'd end up in a bar at some point. That shit was gone after my night out.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
All of us wasted years in elementary school on a skill that got quickly eliminated from the marketplace.
I think about that several times a year. Makes me laugh for a second... All those As for cursive...for NOTHING.
Old 10-18-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Just my signature but even the last few letters of that end up just being a squiggly line. Hell, I've forgotten even how to write some cursive letters. Not too long ago a few co-workers and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to remember how to write a cursive capital "Q"!
It looks like a fancy "2" ...

Like Joe_b I fought that same battle in 5th grade. I could write cursive, and I could do so very legibly. However I preferred printing for some reason (faster for me?). Mrs. Hopkins insisted we write in cursive and write in pen (not pencil). It was the beginning of a tumultuous 4 years with her ...

A friend and I were having this conversation last week. He is a middle school English teacher and requires his students to to in papers written in cursive (not typed). Unfortunately he is a dinosaur -- the schools need more like him! It seems most people view cursive as a foreign language.

I think I will start writing in cursive ... Either as a personal exercise or just to mess with the people I work with.
Old 10-18-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Signature only.

Which includes the occasional autograph.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.