Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you a "prepper"? (Tale of the impending apocalypse)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: I'm a prepper, you're a prepper, wouldn't you like to be a prepper too...
I think "something" catastrophic will happen in my lifetime and I'm preparing for it.
2.56%
I think "something" catastrophic will happen but I'll wing it when it does.
10.26%
Not really sure, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared anyway.
20.51%
All this doom/gloom talk is mainly someone trying to sell you something.
64.10%
Other (please explain)
2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-14, 09:32 AM

PLEASE NOTE: As much as possible I want to keep this out of the Political realm/forum. I know sometimes these discussions can go hand in hand w/ political debate but I'd rather this thread not go down that path.

Thanks

Anyway, it seems you can't turn around these days w/o coming across some website, person, TV show, etc touting on about the coming apocalypse. Whether it be ebola (or something else like that), collapse of the US dollar/market, civil/race tensions, or good old zombies; "something" is coming, according to some people. A couple of years ago I bought a "hurricane" bag (essentially a duffel bag full of misc camping supplies) that I somewhat/sorta try to keep up to date. At times I feel like I should be doing more, but frankly it seems like in every age people have been talking about doom/gloom but for the most part life carries on. So I guess I'm wondering what other people think about all this apocalypse talk, how seriously they are taking it and what (if anything) they are doing about it.
Old 10-16-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are you a "prepper"? (Tale of the impending apocalypse)

I started this thread a few years ago.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...pers-here.html
Old 10-16-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a Pepper.

Old 10-16-14, 09:40 AM
RIP

I'm a fucker.
Old 10-16-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I'm not going to let it interfere with my daily life.

Old 10-16-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Other."

Odds are that the first ones to die will be the lucky ones. I'm not sure I want to be in a car with a pack of other people fleeing the city with what cash we can quickly gather and what food and water and clothing we can carry on our way to who-knows-where. And then finding shelter in some government building packed with cots or blankets on, say, a gymnasium floor, with tons of other people. I'm not sure that life is worth living under such circumstances. Like Sartre said: "Hell is other people." I have lots of food and water in the apartment anyway, but only enough to last a few weeks.

I was recently cleaning out the basement in the family house (I'm selling it) and I found all this survival food and water packets that my youngest brother once stored there. (My brother's now living with his family far away, in a place the rest of us would probably flee to if something happened in NYC.) We're probably gonna get rid of it but there's always the sneaking suspicion that it might come in handy.
Old 10-16-14, 09:56 AM
Banned

Every single generation believes that they are living in the "end times." Remember the Assyrian tablet from circa 3000 BC that says something about kids no longer obeying parents and people wanting to learn to write are signs that the world is ending soon? That was 5000 years ago, and people thought they were in the "end times."
Old 10-16-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No. But mostly because I don't have the money to do it. I'd love to build the ultimate nuclear shelter and have it double as my mancave. I've thought up all kinds of cool stuff. But don't have the funds to do any of it.
Old 10-16-14, 10:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I fall somewhere between B and D, but definitely not C.

I think something bad may or may not happen, but I'm cynical, so I think everyone's trying to sell you something.

By the way, you should read buy lots of copies of my new book, "How to Remain Complacent at the End of Times" available now as an eBook! Soon to be a major motion picture starring Judd Nelson and Amy Sedaris.
Old 10-16-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think preparing for an catastrophic disaster like a comet hitting the earth is a bit much, but in Washington State we have to worry about two catastrophic potential disaters, Mt Rainier blowing its top and a Massive EarthQuake.

We have provisions to take care of us for most 95% of disasters. We use those provisions on a routine basis, so they are not just items that sit there to only be used for disaster.
Old 10-16-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope, I don't buy in to any of that stuff. One of my friends at work is a bit in to it; not crazy or anything, but has a bunch of equipment just in case. I think its a waste of time and money.
Old 10-16-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was a kid I worried constantly a lot nuclear war near the end of the cold war. Nowadays I just pray my daughter doesn't have to live through that kind of fear. I try to keep her as ignorant as possible about this kind of thing.
Old 10-16-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As I mentioned in the previous thread, I have firearms, an iron stomach and a wayward moral compass. I will survive.
Old 10-16-14, 12:31 PM

I don't put much stock into there being an actual apocalypse, so I'm not planning to build a bomb shelter and stockpile anything. I do like learning about primitive skills and survival techniques, so I've sifted through TONS of "doomsday" stuff in order to learn a thing or two. It's akin to buying Playboy for the articles; gloss over the sensationalism and take what you can from it. The worst scenarios would likely be temporary, whether it be a natural disaster or a shortage of something "essential."

What's more important to me is being capable of getting through a personal survival situation, like being lost or stranded somewhere. Today, a cell phone will probably negate 95% of the need to be self reliant if your car were to break down in the middle of nowhere. It's just that small chance of not being able to rely on technology that knowing how to make a shelter, build a fire, and basic outdoor skills would be very useful.

Mostly though, my interest is about understanding and respecting those who came before us. Don't get me wrong, I fucking LOVE the modern world, but I don't take it for granted. All it would take is the flipping of a few switches and there'd be no water, electricity, or gas. And most people wouldn't have a clue what to do with themselves. Give me my bow, axe, & a few knives, and I'd work things out as best as I can.
Old 10-16-14, 02:28 PM

No, I'm just not that paranoid...
Old 10-16-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I'm a Pepper.

Beat me to it! First thing I thought of as well.
Old 10-16-14, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Poink View Post
Mostly though, my interest is about understanding and respecting those who came before us. Don't get me wrong, I fucking LOVE the modern world, but I don't take it for granted. All it would take is the flipping of a few switches and there'd be no water, electricity, or gas. And most people wouldn't have a clue what to do with themselves. Give me my bow, axe, & a few knives, and I'd kill all of you pansies without a second thought.
Fixed.
Old 10-16-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

at this thread. Sorry.
Old 10-17-14, 06:39 AM

Well at least people are keeping the political discussion out of it like I asked

Seriously though, still not sure how I feel about the whole subject. I mean having some sort of plan/some stuff set aside seems like a good idea. Stockpiling 6 months worth of food/MREs, and tons of guns/ammo, not to mention gold (which seems to be another favorite for some reason), I just can't really see doing though. I'm not naive enough to believe there isn't the potential for something to happen (if nothing else natural disasters happen all the time), I just can't get into the mind set I guess.
Old 10-17-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
As I mentioned in the previous thread, I have firearms, an iron stomach and a wayward moral compass. I will survive.
Same. I have 2 guns, and a few boxes of ammo. Where I am, (North Jersey) that practically makes me a psychotic gun fanatic. I think with those I could "acquire" any supplies if need be.

Originally Posted by Poink View Post
I don't put much stock into there being an actual apocalypse, so I'm not planning to build a bomb shelter and stockpile anything. I do like learning about primitive skills and survival techniques, so I've sifted through TONS of "doomsday" stuff in order to learn a thing or two. It's akin to buying Playboy for the articles; gloss over the sensationalism and take what you can from it. The worst scenarios would likely be temporary, whether it be a natural disaster or a shortage of something "essential."

What's more important to me is being capable of getting through a personal survival situation, like being lost or stranded somewhere. Today, a cell phone will probably negate 95% of the need to be self reliant if your car were to break down in the middle of nowhere. It's just that small chance of not being able to rely on technology that knowing how to make a shelter, build a fire, and basic outdoor skills would be very useful.

Mostly though, my interest is about understanding and respecting those who came before us. Don't get me wrong, I fucking LOVE the modern world, but I don't take it for granted. All it would take is the flipping of a few switches and there'd be no water, electricity, or gas. And most people wouldn't have a clue what to do with themselves. Give me my bow, axe, & a few knives, and I'd work things out as best as I can.
Any book suggestions? I also like picking up survival skills, but for the situation you describe such as being stranded somewhere.

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
Well at least people are keeping the political discussion out of it like I asked

Seriously though, still not sure how I feel about the whole subject. I mean having some sort of plan/some stuff set aside seems like a good idea. Stockpiling 6 months worth of food/MREs, and tons of guns/ammo, not to mention gold (which seems to be another favorite for some reason), I just can't really see doing though. I'm not naive enough to believe there isn't the potential for something to happen (if nothing else natural disasters happen all the time), I just can't get into the mind set I guess.
I'm just too lazy to have a setup like that. I feel like people get obsessed with it, and make planning for the apocalypse their hobby. I would need to see things get a lot worse before I actually got serious about setting up a survival shelter, 6 months of food, etc.
Old 10-17-14, 11:00 AM

The modern world over the last 40-50 years is unprecedented. We live in a time of massively complex supply chains and networks of technology and people. I definitely have a sense it can't last, and that there exist countless risks and threats to global stability, most of which we can't hope to define and mitigate.

So, I absolutely have a sense that something could bring it all crashing down within my lifetime. I would like to be a prepper on some level, but as a city dweller and working stiff, it's not really an option for me at the moment.
Old 10-17-14, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
So, I absolutely have a sense that something could bring it all crashing down within my lifetime. I would like to be a prepper on some level, but as a city dweller and working stiff, it's not really an option for me at the moment.
I live near a freeway 30 miles away from a major metropolitan center. During a worst-case scenario, a starving horde is going to be heading my way looking for anything to eat. Stockpiling months of food will only feed those hordes so much before they decide to eat me.
Old 10-17-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like to wear polos with khakis sometimes, so I guess I am?
Old 10-17-14, 11:28 AM
Admin-Thanos

It's entertaining to imagine prepping for doomsday scenarios. I do enjoy apocalyptic movies and stories, but at the end of the day, do I really want to "survive" in a post apocalypse mess? It might not be worth it. So no, I don't prep. I have hurricane supplies of food and water, but no high tech weapons.
Old 10-17-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, not at all. I buy food in bulk, pressure can or pickle a lot of things, but none of that is for prepping.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.