Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Anyone else have issues with Bank of America?

Old 10-15-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone else have issues with Bank of America?

Been using BoA since '07 and looking to switch to a different bank. Due to continuous security breaches I only keep enough funds in the account to pay bills and/or for online purchases, everything else gets withdrawn. Anyway, seems every time there is a 3-4 day weekend due to a holiday my account gets severely screwed up. I get a direct deposit from my job late Thurs night/early Fri morning around 2am which is when all bills are paid. One of the transactions (Geico to be exact) failed to post until afternoon today (Wednesday) which is weird because it usually posts immediately after I make the payment on their website. So, I've been checking my account 2-3 daily waiting for this transaction to post to my account and as of 5am this morning I had $36 in my account and still no Geico transaction. Now, the transaction was for $40, but I had made a purchase at Monoprice for $4 which also went through immediately. No big deal, I figured when the Geico trans finally posted, I have until 8pm that day to deposit the difference before they give me an overdraft fee. At noon, and 7 hours since I last checked the account and I started receiving emails from BoA saying there are insufficient funds in my account and I have been issued overdraft fees, etc. so I go to check the account. ALL of the transactions which have already been posted since early Friday morning have all been re-arranged with all the dates changed and they have given me TWO overdraft fees which put my account balance at $-74! Somewhere between 5am and 12pm the Geico trans finally posted which shouldve put me at $-4, but their system automatically mixed up all of my transactions and dates in a way where I had insufficient funds for 2 transactions. After spending 90 minutes on the phone with 2 reps and a supervisor they will not budge. Anyone have some advice and/or a descent bank I can use where this will not happen? Thanks!
Old 10-15-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Anyone else have issues with Bank of America?

Paragraphs are your friend.
Old 10-15-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Been using BoA since '07 and looking to switch to a different bank. Due to continuous security breaches I only keep enough funds in the account to pay bills and/or for online purchases, everything else gets withdrawn. Anyway, seems every time there is a 3-4 day weekend due to a holiday my account gets severely screwed up. I get a direct deposit from my job late Thurs night/early Fri morning around 2am which is when all bills are paid. One of the transactions (Geico to be exact) failed to post until afternoon today (Wednesday) which is weird because it usually posts immediately after I make the payment on their website. So, I've been checking my account 2-3 daily waiting for this transaction to post to my account and as of 5am this morning I had $36 in my account and still no Geico transaction. Now, the transaction was for $40, but I had made a purchase at Monoprice for $4 which also went through immediately. No big deal, I figured when the Geico trans finally posted, I have until 8pm that day to deposit the difference before they give me an overdraft fee. At noon, and 7 hours since I last checked the account and I started receiving emails from BoA saying there are insufficient funds in my account and I have been issued overdraft fees, etc. so I go to check the account. ALL of the transactions which have already been posted since early Friday morning have all been re-arranged with all the dates changed and they have given me TWO overdraft fees which put my account balance at $-74! Somewhere between 5am and 12pm the Geico trans finally posted which shouldve put me at $-4, but their system automatically mixed up all of my transactions and dates in a way where I had insufficient funds for 2 transactions. After spending 90 minutes on the phone with 2 reps and a supervisor they will not budge. Anyone have some advice and/or a descent bank I can use where this will not happen? Thanks!
Old 10-15-14, 07:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

send me your bank account number and pin and I'll sort it out.
Old 10-15-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-15-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

OK now I read it. Banks are crooks. They'll take your transactions and process them in whatever was possible to get you in the most trouble as possible - that's how they charge you fees and steal extra money from you. I've never seen a bank where the payment post immediately .. maybe it just tells you that a payment is in process. Anyhow my only suggestion is not to pay everything at the same time. Do the smaller stuff one day and then the biggest payment the next?
Old 10-15-14, 09:42 PM

I bank at the evil BofA, and I don't pay my bills thru their website because they never do it on the date I need, so I go through the website of the companies that I need to pay, this is what the evil bank says on the website.

Important: Deliver By is the estimated date that your Pay To account will receive the payment and funds will leave your account. The actual delivery date may vary from the Deliver By date estimate.

Please make sure that there are sufficient available funds in your account to cover your payment beginning a few days before the Deliver By date estimate and keep such funds available until the payment is deducted from your account. Otherwise, you may be charged an overdraft or returned item fee. Other fees also may apply. Please refer to your account agreement and applicable fee schedule for details.

If we fail to process a payment in accordance with your properly completed instructions, we will reimburse you any late-payment-related fees. Please contact Online Banking Customer Service to request that the fees be reversed.
Old 10-15-14, 09:43 PM

Wow, I didn't notice how big of a post that was. I was just typing away in anger. Sorry!
Old 10-15-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Years ago but I haven't used them since. My belief is that if you use B of A and they haven't fucked you over in some way that it's just a matter of time. I am generally proven right.
Old 10-15-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Vibiana changed her user name?
Old 10-15-14, 11:25 PM

Those bastards pulled similar shit on me several years ago.

Dumped them and told them to go fuck themselves.

Leave them with that -$74 and go bank elsewhere. Don't let them get away with this shit.
Old 10-16-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
Leave them with that -$74 and go bank elsewhere. Don't let them get away with this shit.
Which will get you blacklisted by Chex systems and you won't be able to get another bank account for 5-6 years.

Pay off the balance as a lesson learned, and go bank elsewhere.
Old 10-16-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Long time customer. Here's my observations...

BoA's system is there to give you every possible overdraft. I can give you all the "lessons" I've learned. But there's so many. It's not as simple as 'have a negative balance and get charged'.

They also continue the trend of having a covert system, leaving customer service (including people at the bank) helpless. There's very few people who can do anything within the system. Even people at the bank are just more-or-less using the same software that you see in your online account. Nobody has the power to "override" anything. It is not a bank where you can walk in and have a problem solved.

I've learned my lesson time and time again at Bank of America.
Old 10-16-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Which will get you blacklisted by Chex systems and you won't be able to get another bank account for 5-6 years.

Pay off the balance as a lesson learned, and go bank elsewhere.
The latter sentence here is the best advice, but there are some banks that will still let you open an account with them regardless of being in Chex Systems.

When I was younger and had no grasp on my financial stability I was put in Chex Systems by Washington Mutual. Their overdraft fees were the absolute worst and they somehow added up to over $500 in the span of a week when I was 19. At that point, I had two options. One was a local independent bank, or US Bank -- but only the US Bank locations inside Safeway stores (standalone branches will not open one for anyone in Chex Systems). I thought that was kind of odd but I guess there's some loophole at those locations.

After I got out and my credit was cleaned up I opened an account with a local credit union and haven't looked back. I'd never utilize a large national bank again for everyday checking and savings.
Old 10-16-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We've been dealing with them regarding a mortgage issue for over three years. I'm generally a tree hugging pacifist type, but if BoA ever again took part in a financial crisis like they did in 07/08, I would be the first to suggest the guillotine for their executives.