Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever save someone's life by being at the right place, at the right time?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-15-14, 02:27 PM

Good news everyone!

So my internet-buddy and I got an article published on cracked.com about crazy stories of people who saved lives by being at the right place at the right time:

http://www.cracked.com/article_21642...ible-luck.html

And other than just shamelessly plugging the article for hits, I thought it could be an interesting discussion to see if any otters have ever done the same. Me? According to the comments section, the closest I've come to doing anything like this is getting this article published, which made someone read it instead of watching Superman Returns
Old 10-15-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Anyone ever save someone's life by being at the right place, at the right time?

Tarantino?
Old 10-15-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Anyone ever save someone's life by being at the right place, at the right time?

I probably saved my step-niece's life. When she was a toddler, she was standing up on a chair next to me while we were all around a table. Thru the corner of my eye, I saw her slip off and almost went head first down to the wooden floor. It was so weird, it was like my body turned automatically and I caught her by her hips right before she was about to hit (top of the head) first on the floor. She was just dangling about an inch or so above the floor with me hanging on to her. Talk about some fast reflexes! She was pretty freaked out.
Old 10-15-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night, a DJ saved my life
Old 10-15-14, 03:57 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I probably saved my step-niece's life. When she was a toddler, she was standing up on a chair next to me while we were all around a table. Thru the corner of my eye, I saw her slip off and almost went head first down to the wooden floor. It was so weird, it was like my body turned automatically and I caught her by her hips right before she was about to hit (top of the head) first on the floor. She was just dangling about an inch or so above the floor with me hanging on to her. Talk about some fast reflexes! She was pretty freaked out.
i've fallen off the top of a bunk bed head first onto a wooden floor and turned out ko
Old 10-15-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was outside the airport in Bermuda waiting for my ride. This tiny toddler (barely walking) wandered into the path of a van backing into a spot. I grabbed him/her? and placed back on the sidewalk. The stupid mother was too busy flapping her gums to even realize what had happened.
Old 10-15-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I once had the chance to save a drowning man, but I didn't.

...I think there's a song about it.
Old 10-15-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson View Post
I once had the chance to save a drowning man, but I didn't.
So you can wipe off that grin,
I know where you've been
It's all been a pack of lies
Old 10-15-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Twice. One time, I was walking to work downtown from the subway and the light turned. A guy with earphone staring at his phone kept going right into the street. I grabbed his collar about .1 seconds before a city bus came screaming by. He then pushed me off of him and cursed at me.

Another time, I was at the beach and the family next to me stopped watching their three year old so they could drink and play cornhole. The waves were aggressive. She teetered out and was knocked down by the wave. I didn't see her get up so I ran and grabbed her and took her back in. Same result - get your hands off of my kid.

Don't regret either and I'd do it again.
Old 10-15-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone saved my life tonight

sugar bear
Old 10-15-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In order to save anyone's life, don't you always have to be in the right place at the right time?
Old 10-15-14, 07:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-15-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've stopped a moving car from hitting someone before. I was fortunate to be behind the wheel at the time. Come to think of it, it's happened more than once.
Old 10-15-14, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad was choking at lunch one time and I happened to be home and gave him the Heimlich maneuver. That's as close as I've come to saving someone.
Old 10-16-14, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
The girl in this was cycling wrecklessly like they do on college campuses. The guy had quick reflexes to be able to realize she would have been hit and to grab her like that.
Old 10-16-14, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know where this is and what the rules of the road are, but it seems to me the driver was also driving recklessly, to be going so fast with people still in the crosswalk.
Old 10-16-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saved a kid from drowning once at a public pool. He jumped into the deep end and I saw him struggling to surface, so I swam to him and pulled him up. Little bastard almost drowned me because he was panicking and bearhugging me, making it difficult to swim. I was young myself, about 12 at the time.
Old 10-16-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1-2 months ago I saved a 3 year old from drowning. We were at a birthday party and everyone got out of the pool for cake. There were a lot of kids there so I wasn't really sure if this kid has swimming ability or not, I knew he was in the pool earlier but I think he had floaties on or was with his dad. I'm holding my 11 month old baby at the time. I glance down and see this kid swimming in circles about 2' from the edge of the pool. Apparently this is a distress signal that I missed. I'm wondering what he's doing, and marveling at this kid's swimming skills thinking he is looking under water for a toy or something, then I realize he hasn't really come up for air in quite a few seconds. I look for a few more seconds and pass my son off into his mom's chest and say "here" then jump in fully clothed with shoes on, feet first right next to the kid and lift him up above my head as I kick my feet to the side and then his dad grabs him from me. He was choking up some water and crying but didn't need CPR. I had a bit of an adrenaline rush from the whole thing. Maybe someone else may have jumped in if I wasn't there, maybe not. I was the only one to jump in after him at that moment though. Apparently he wasn't supposed to be in there and went in after a toy
Old 10-16-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On 33rd St. where 6th Ave. and B'way converge, it used to be that you had the light to cross half the street but not the second half; you had to wait on one of those islands. But the average pedestrian thought they had the right to go ALL the way because the traffic lights were not aligned along the same line of sight.

So the traffic is moving along the second half and a guy is walking without paying attention right towards the moving traffic. "Watch out," I say. Not loud enough. He keeps walking, not slowing down or looking up. "Watch out!" I say a little louder. No reaction. Finally he's about to step off the curb, when I yell, "WATCH OUT!" and he stops dead in his tracks just as a van speeds by in front of him, missing him by inches. He turns around, looking sheepish, and mutters about being lost in thought and apologizing.

Now, would his own instinct have kicked in at the last second and caused him to stop? Possibly. I can't prove I saved his life. But at least it didn't have to get to that point. And the traffic bosses fixed the problem with the car-free bike lanes installed on Broadway a few years ago. (I'm opposed to those lanes, but I'm quite certain they saved lives on 33rd Street.)

Another time, back in the 1980s, I'm on the elevated subway in the Bronx and it's a crowded train and a girl climbs in between the cars(!) to try to get in through the door between the cars, but the chained bar that you need to lift up to get to that point is stuck, so she's stranded on this narrow metal ledge on the train car as the train pulls out of the station. The two young guys near the door look through the window and laugh, certain that she's going to fall to her death. I move past them, open the door and move the bar up and out of its holes so the girl can get through and get into the train. Would she have fallen to her death? Probably not. But why take the chance? And why laugh about it? Hopefully, both of those two pieces of shit are in hell right now getting the treatment they deserve.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-16-14 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-16-14, 11:40 AM

I once stopped a certain singer from killing himself by sticking his head in an oven. He wrote a song about it...

Seriously though, as a clinical psychologist, the answer is yes. Many times over.
Old 10-16-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

twice I've saved my next door neighbor's three year old daughter from walking into the street. Their front yard is enclosed by a low wall with a gate, but they were replacing the whole wall so the usual barrier was not there. She walks out, says high to me and just keeps on walking right out into the street. I stopped her and took her back to the front door. This happened twice in a two week period. Never did anyone say "thank you".

Maybe the clinical psychologist can explain what's up with my neighbors that would make them just say, "Oh hey, that happened."

Also happened when I stopped a 4 year old from pushing little baby 18 month old in a stroller right off the curb. I saw what was about the happen, the kid released the break, the first wheel even went over the curb, and I said "wait stop!" Mom turned around and corrected the kid. No "thank you" to me.

I think people are ashamed of themselves when shit like this happens and they can't bring themselves to show gratitude because they are narcissistic ass holes.
Old 10-16-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
people ... are narcissistic ass holes.
Definitely this ^^^
Old 10-16-14, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
The girl in this was cycling wrecklessly like they do on college campuses. The guy had quick reflexes to be able to realize she would have been hit and to grab her like that.
I love in a college city, and I swear 99% of the college kids have shit for brains. Very few actually look before crossing the street. Isn't this something you are supposed to learn when you are five years old, to look both ways before crossing?
Old 10-16-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not 100% sure if we saved her life or not, but when I was in college, me and some friends were coming home from a movie and heard weird sounds coming from the bushes at the bottom of this small hill. We checked it out and it was a guy raping some woman. He's beaten her up and she was unconscious. We pulled him off and kept him there til the police came. The fucking cops were laughing and joking about it as they took our statements, probably because it was a Native woman.
Old 10-16-14, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Not 100% sure if we saved her life or not, but when I was in college, me and some friends were coming home from a movie and heard weird sounds coming from the bushes at the bottom of this small hill. We checked it out and it was a guy raping some woman. He's beaten her up and she was unconscious. We pulled him off and kept him there til the police came. The fucking cops were laughing and joking about it as they took our statements, probably because it was a Native woman.
wow. that is depressing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.