Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's expected from a computer tech help desk operator?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-14-14, 04:49 PM

I have a 4 year IT degree from 8 years ago but honestly what I learned is out of date except for hardware like putting a PC together.

I have a job opportunity at a hospital to be a computer tech help desk operator and I'm worried that they'll think I'm am idiot in the interview next week.

I mean if they start pulling the networking and database questions out I'm boned!!!

How much can I learn in 6 days to get the job?
Old 10-14-14, 04:57 PM
Banned

Re: What's expected from a computer tech help desk operator?

Old 10-14-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll be fine, most interviews don't get too in-depth with technical stuff, it's more of an opportunity to sell yourself as an employee. I would start looking into networking though, it's a good skill to have in IT.
Old 10-14-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Job interview usually quizzing your experience, your personality, and little things. If you got job, then they will show you how to do with stuff. Don't worry about that. Just be positive and sell yourself.
Old 10-14-14, 05:08 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how would you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
Old 10-14-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leahcim View Post

I mean if they start pulling the networking and database questions out I'm boned!!!
Shh. You won't feel a thing.

Old 10-14-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-14-14, 06:58 PM

Thx fellas, great replies for help and chuckles, DVD Talk members are the best!
Old 10-14-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Help desk is usually the first line of support. You'll be handling password resets, 'click here, dummy' questions, and the like. If they're having serious problems, you'll need to be able to figure out what the problem is so you can forward the trouble ticket to the proper person.

If they have any sort of organization, they'll have a knowledgebase for you to reference and will train you on hardware/software specific to the organization.
Old 10-14-14, 07:29 PM
Admin-Thanos

Deep technical knowledge is not a necessity for a good helpdesk technician. A good demeanor, friendliness, the ability to listen and explain technical functions to a non technical person are the keys. You need patience for phone support as non technical people will often not be able to accurately describe the problem they are having. The technical stuff, they can teach you. If that's the sticking point in the interview, the company is doing something wrong in my opinion.
Old 10-14-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mostly you'll be handling service requests. Basically you need to know who to forward the issues to (developers? dbas? network admins? security? etc.) or troubleshoot the basic information ("Where can I get a System Access Form? Can someone reset my network password?" etc.)

It's not the most glamorous of positions, but it's always an "in".
Old 10-14-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I expect a heavy accented person from India.
Old 10-14-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Deep technical knowledge is not a necessity for a good helpdesk technician. A good demeanor, friendliness, the ability to listen and explain technical functions to a non technical person are the keys. You need patience for phone support as non technical people will often not be able to accurately describe the problem they are having. The technical stuff, they can teach you. If that's the sticking point in the interview, the company is doing something wrong in my opinion.
^ This

Help Desk positions are more about people skills and communications skills than anything else.

I am sure for the most part you will just be reading from a script or searching an online database of repair 'How To' and then reading from them.

If those steps do not work, then you need to be able write out a description of the problem and send it on to Tier 2.

Interviews will vary depending on what they expect their help desk agents to actually do - I have seen this all over the board with expectations. Be nice, speak clearly, don't be nervous, say how much you LOVE to help people, etc, etc

If you want to impress them and show you are more than just a typical help desk agent, study up in ITIL (pronounced eye-til)

http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Abo...hatisITIL.aspx

Learn what ITIL beleives is the role of the Help Desk and the Help Desk agent and just tell them you think it is a great plan and ask if their help desk is ITIL compliant (I am going to bet, no, but try anyway)

maybe know what ITIL considers an 'incident'

http://www.itil.org/en/vomkennen/iti...management.php

The Help Desk lies in "Service Operation" in ITIL, so focus there. This link has some good info

http://www.itil.org.uk/sm.htm
Old 10-14-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

If you can say "reboot" you're at par.
Old 10-14-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with this. ^
Old 10-14-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look up all the usual interview questions and be prepared to answer them. EX: what's your biggest strengths, biggest weakness, your hobbies, etc.

I think help desk tech are dealing more often with mobile devices like ipads. You'll definitely be dealing with printer trouble. Sometimes calls for no access to database, sometimes minor stuff like how to edit Excel. There might also be VPN question and remote access apps.
Old 10-15-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Another big for this.
Old 10-15-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd imagine you'll be answering phone calls about basic stuff.

Most (all) companies have a "map" that will guide you through what to do to help the customer. It's really dumbed down. For instance, if the internet doesn't work, you click "internet doesn't work" and then it guides you through everything to tell the customer.

You have to do all of this, while not being rude and condescending to someone who doesn't understand the basics of how something work. You also have to remember that you're mostly talking to people who are too stupid to troubleshoot this basic stuff on their own.

In example, the cable box dropped it's audio last night. Totally random. No idea what the problem was. So I checked the HDMI cable, and then thought enough to hold down the "power" button until it rebooted. It fixed it. I have no idea why the sound dropped out randomly like that. Was it simple? Yes. Did I have to call anyone? No. You're mostly dealing with people who don't have the thinking skills to figure that part out. And, to a lesser extent, the people who have a legitimate issue where something isn't working.

For the job? These are basic jobs. I don't think you have to be too smart. You should know how to do basic computer stuff. And have lots of patience.
Old 10-15-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All you need to know is how to ask "Is it plugged in?" in such a way that you don't sound condescending.
Old 10-15-14, 12:21 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
All you need to know is how to ask "Is it plugged in?" in such a way that you don't sound condescending.
I was sent out to replace a "broken" monitor today. So as I'm getting ready to deploy the new one, I notice that the existing monitor is plugged into a UPS, but the UPS is not turned on. They spent probably an hour on the phone with our helpdesk, all for me to drive out and push a power button on the battery backup. Damn thing has been down for over a week. Attention to detail never hurts if you're a support tech, phone or in person.
Old 10-15-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I expect a heavy accented person from India.
Who insists that their name is "Donald" (pronounced Duu-neld).
Old 10-15-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Help desk is usually the first line of support. You'll be handling password resets, 'click here, dummy' questions, and the like. If they're having serious problems, you'll need to be able to figure out what the problem is so you can forward the trouble ticket to the proper person.
Likely this.
I'm the sole support person for a large media corporation, and 80% of what I get is the same basic user issues over and over, augmented by the occasional more complex issue.

GOOD LUCK,OP!
Old 10-15-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was sent out to replace a "broken" monitor today. So as I'm getting ready to deploy the new one, I notice that the existing monitor is plugged into a UPS, but the UPS is not turned on. They spent probably an hour on the phone with our helpdesk, all for me to drive out and push a power button on the battery backup. Damn thing has been down for over a week. Attention to detail never hurts if you're a support tech, phone or in person.
Did anyone know the UPS was there before you made the trip?

I am a big fan of having the help desk ticket system linked to the inventory system, so you enter the employees name/number whatever identifier you use and then the past 60 days of trouble tickets appear AND the users hardware/software inventory appear so you know what you are working with right off the bat.

Had the help desk seen a UPS in inventory, they might have known to check it. If this is not the standard config and/or they had no idea it was there, well then you get what you get
Old 10-15-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I usually expect help desk operators to sound bored, condesending, sarcastic, and like I'm wasting their time by calling them. Sometimes I'm surprised when some actually want to help.

The employees that worked at the computer labs at the colleges that I went to usually didn't want to help when there was a problem with the computers. They were too busy studying or doing homework for their classes, and just needed some extra spending money.
Old 10-15-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I expect help desk operators to treat me like every problem is caused by operator incompetence, and then to run through a checklist of possible solutions that I tried before I called them. When they get to the end of the checklist and the problem isn't solved, they'll say, "That's strange. I'll have to get back to you."

My computer at work has had the green ribbon of death for more than a year now.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.