Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Old 10-11-14, 11:31 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

If you need to go to restroom and you ask deaf employee where restroom and deaf employee don’t understand you. How do you “sign” that you need to know where the restroom is?

For more than 25 years I've been working in the receiving department at 3 different companies and I have come across numerous truck drivers asking me where’s the restroom is. Lot of the times I don’t understand them (I’m not excellent lip reading) and they had to mimicking stand-up peeing or bend down pooping. I’d say 99% of the time they would mimicking stand-up peeing and 1% of the time mimicking pooping. But I have never seen them used washing hands sign. Female truckers would do pee dancing (don’t ask…).

Is it really necessary for them to show how they pee? I don’t really need to know whatever they’re doing in restroom. It would be better if they would just use washing hands sign…
McHawkson is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 11:47 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 6,373
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

How about you make an accommodation for (y'know) EVERY person you interact with, and carry some post-its and a pencil so they can write down what they need to ask you?
Count Dooku is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 11:57 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,915
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Point to your ass and make gestures of stuff coming out of it.
DVD Polizei is online now  
Old 10-11-14, 12:05 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
How about you make an accommodation for (y'know) EVERY person you interact with, and carry some post-its and a pencil so they can write down what they need to ask you?
This or if people are constantly asking where something is then maybe it's an indication that you need to put up a sign with an arrow pointing to where it is.
taffer is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 12:06 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
How about you make an accommodation for (y'know) EVERY person you interact with, and carry some post-its and a pencil so they can write down what they need to ask you?
I did... You see, my receiving is full of paper and pen. I always offer paper & pen and they always don't want to write anything down. I guess either that hearing people prefers verbally communication than write or they don't know how to spell "restroom."
McHawkson is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 01:11 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

You could put up a sign that says "Shitter" with an arrow pointing in the general vicinity. That way they won't bother you.
My Other Self is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 01:26 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 32,396
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Pee on their desk. That might clue them in.
TomOpus is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 01:31 PM
  #8  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,006
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Based on the thread title and the OP, I'm thinking there are a lot of deaf truck drivers out there.
VinVega is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 01:43 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite
Posts: 1,940
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Restroom!


yep, I'm going to hell.
Talkin2Phil is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 01:48 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,583
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Grab your crotch and do the potty dance.
funkyryno is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 01:57 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,207
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

I don't think I've ever actually had to ask a deaf person for anything. Not that I can recall, anyway.
Living Dead is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 02:56 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,915
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Grab your crotch and do the potty dance.
In some countries, that's a mating ritual.
DVD Polizei is online now  
Old 10-11-14, 03:02 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
bigsoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sachse, TX
Posts: 4,514
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

write "restroom" on paper or smartphone
bigsoos is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 03:52 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,751
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

<--- dated a deaf girl and an interpreter. Studied Manual Commuincation. Signs ALL the time, sometimes even to deaf people.

Easy.

Most signs involve a handshape and a position/gesture, and optionally there might be body language included as well. Asking for the bathroom is no different:

Shape: With one hand, make the handshape for the letter "T"



Gesture: Hold that arm out to your side, elbow bent so the knuckles of your hand are pointing up and your palm is facing the person you're talking to. Move the "T" slightly left-and-right, stopping briefly at the end of each sweep. Don't need more than a couple of inches to get the "T----T" point across. You can also just shake the "T", it's pretty much the same thing in this case.

Body Language: Look the person in the eye, with your eyebrows slightly raised to make it apparent that you're asking them a question.



What you're saying is "Toilet?!?".

Important: That gesture/bodylanguage combo is just about universally understood to mean "where is the bathroom". While using a "T" is technically correct, you can just as easily use "R" (Restroom) or alternate "W" and "C" (Water Closet). Essentially, if you sign ANY letter in that manner, the recipient will understand what you mean. And if your body language conveys a sense of immediate urgency, you don't even have to use any letter at all.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 05:16 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,915
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

The Brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5M9dXWOKQ&t=3m7s
Jacoby Ellsbury is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 05:55 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 5,745
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
<--- dated a deaf girl and an interpreter. Studied Manual Commuincation. Signs ALL the time, sometimes even to deaf people.

Easy.

Most signs involve a handshape and a position/gesture, and optionally there might be body language included as well. Asking for the bathroom is no different:

Shape: With one hand, make the handshape for the letter "T"



Gesture: Hold that arm out to your side, elbow bent so the knuckles of your hand are pointing up and your palm is facing the person you're talking to. Move the "T" slightly left-and-right, stopping briefly at the end of each sweep. Don't need more than a couple of inches to get the "T----T" point across. You can also just shake the "T", it's pretty much the same thing in this case.

Body Language: Look the person in the eye, with your eyebrows slightly raised to make it apparent that you're asking them a question.



What you're saying is "Toilet?!?".

Important: That gesture/bodylanguage combo is just about universally understood to mean "where is the bathroom". While using a "T" is technically correct, you can just as easily use "R" (Restroom) or alternate "W" and "C" (Water Closet). Essentially, if you sign ANY letter in that manner, the recipient will understand what you mean. And if your body language conveys a sense of immediate urgency, you don't even have to use any letter at all.
Actually not always so acceptable with the "t". In the district I taught at in Alaska, the school that housed the Deaf ed program also had a huge Russian population. The sign for toilet was too close to their FU gesture, so it was never to be used there (after a misunderstanding, of course). Can't remember what they were supposed to use--I took ASL in the evenings, but was so wiped out at the end of the day that I learned pretty much nil. My kids are taking over though (both of mine still in school chose ASL as their foreign language requirements).
tasha99 is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 06:19 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 6,373
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Originally Posted by McHawkson View Post
I did... You see, my receiving is full of paper and pen. I always offer paper & pen and they always don't want to write anything down.
Then let them shit their pants.
Count Dooku is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 06:37 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
McHawkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: America Empire
Posts: 14,752
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
<--- dated a deaf girl and an interpreter. Studied Manual Commuincation. Signs ALL the time, sometimes even to deaf people.

Easy.

Most signs involve a handshape and a position/gesture, and optionally there might be body language included as well. Asking for the bathroom is no different:

Shape: With one hand, make the handshape for the letter "T"



Gesture: Hold that arm out to your side, elbow bent so the knuckles of your hand are pointing up and your palm is facing the person you're talking to. Move the "T" slightly left-and-right, stopping briefly at the end of each sweep. Don't need more than a couple of inches to get the "T----T" point across. You can also just shake the "T", it's pretty much the same thing in this case.

Body Language: Look the person in the eye, with your eyebrows slightly raised to make it apparent that you're asking them a question.



What you're saying is "Toilet?!?".

Important: That gesture/bodylanguage combo is just about universally understood to mean "where is the bathroom". While using a "T" is technically correct, you can just as easily use "R" (Restroom) or alternate "W" and "C" (Water Closet). Essentially, if you sign ANY letter in that manner, the recipient will understand what you mean. And if your body language conveys a sense of immediate urgency, you don't even have to use any letter at all.
That's really "toilet" sign language, but we used that sign language as "bathroom", not "restroom." To use "restroom" sign - we used "R" twice.

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Actually not always so acceptable with the "t". In the district I taught at in Alaska, the school that housed the Deaf ed program also had a huge Russian population. The sign for toilet was too close to their FU gesture, so it was never to be used there (after a misunderstanding, of course). Can't remember what they were supposed to use--I took ASL in the evenings, but was so wiped out at the end of the day that I learned pretty much nil. My kids are taking over though (both of mine still in school chose ASL as their foreign language requirements).
Yeah, but if you used "T" backward and it's dirty language. If I'm in Russia, I would probably use "WC" or restroom with "R".

The whole point of this thread is that hearing people willing to ashamed themselves by using peeing gesture rather than write note or use "wash hands" gesture. I found it hilarious that they willing to do that front of stranger.
McHawkson is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 07:41 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC-ish
Posts: 3,270
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

for some reason i remember making a "B" and running it down my face. maybe that was for beautiful. that would explain certain reactions i got.
Ropes Pierre is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 08:04 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 18,881
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

I don't know, but I do know how to tell them not to wax the carrot

Jason is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 08:06 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 11,295
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
for some reason i remember making a "B" and running it down my face. maybe that was for beautiful. that would explain certain reactions i got.
I think that means you were requesting a brown shower.
cultshock is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 08:09 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Max Bottomtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Torrance, California
Posts: 4,463
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Max Bottomtime is offline  
Old 10-12-14, 05:58 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
hbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: relocated
Posts: 1,397
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

I'd point at my crotch with my legs crossed with a desperate look on my face while mouthing "bathroom".
hbilly is offline  
Old 10-12-14, 09:48 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 21,551
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Originally Posted by McHawkson View Post
That's really "toilet" sign language, but we used that sign language as "bathroom", not "restroom." To use "restroom" sign - we used "R" twice.



Yeah, but if you used "T" backward and it's dirty language. If I'm in Russia, I would probably use "WC" or restroom with "R".

The whole point of this thread is that hearing people willing to ashamed themselves by using peeing gesture rather than write note or use "wash hands" gesture. I found it hilarious that they willing to do that front of stranger.
I don't know sign language, but that "T" looks a lot like a "fig". Shakespeare mentions it. I think that it's used in Mediterranean countries instead of a middle finger.

So what do you mean by "backward T"?

(On topic: I lose my sense of shame in proportion as my bladder gets full.)
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 10-12-14, 10:46 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
mike45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,309
Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

What?
mike45 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.