Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

Old 10-11-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

If you need to go to restroom and you ask deaf employee where restroom and deaf employee don’t understand you. How do you “sign” that you need to know where the restroom is?

For more than 25 years I've been working in the receiving department at 3 different companies and I have come across numerous truck drivers asking me where’s the restroom is. Lot of the times I don’t understand them (I’m not excellent lip reading) and they had to mimicking stand-up peeing or bend down pooping. I’d say 99% of the time they would mimicking stand-up peeing and 1% of the time mimicking pooping. But I have never seen them used washing hands sign. Female truckers would do pee dancing (don’t ask…).

Is it really necessary for them to show how they pee? I don’t really need to know whatever they’re doing in restroom. It would be better if they would just use washing hands sign…
Old 10-11-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: How do you say “restroom” to deaf person?

How about you make an accommodation for (y'know) EVERY person you interact with, and carry some post-its and a pencil so they can write down what they need to ask you?
Old 10-11-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Point to your ass and make gestures of stuff coming out of it.
Old 10-11-14, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
How about you make an accommodation for (y'know) EVERY person you interact with, and carry some post-its and a pencil so they can write down what they need to ask you?
This or if people are constantly asking where something is then maybe it's an indication that you need to put up a sign with an arrow pointing to where it is.
Old 10-11-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I did... You see, my receiving is full of paper and pen. I always offer paper & pen and they always don't want to write anything down. I guess either that hearing people prefers verbally communication than write or they don't know how to spell "restroom."
Old 10-11-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could put up a sign that says "Shitter" with an arrow pointing in the general vicinity. That way they won't bother you.
Old 10-11-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pee on their desk. That might clue them in.
Old 10-11-14, 01:31 PM
Admin-Thanos

Based on the thread title and the OP, I'm thinking there are a lot of deaf truck drivers out there.
Old 10-11-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Restroom!

yep, I'm going to hell.
Old 10-11-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Grab your crotch and do the potty dance.
Old 10-11-14, 01:57 PM

I don't think I've ever actually had to ask a deaf person for anything. Not that I can recall, anyway.
Old 10-11-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Grab your crotch and do the potty dance.
In some countries, that's a mating ritual.
Old 10-11-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

write "restroom" on paper or smartphone
Old 10-11-14, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<--- dated a deaf girl and an interpreter. Studied Manual Commuincation. Signs ALL the time, sometimes even to deaf people.

Easy.

Most signs involve a handshape and a position/gesture, and optionally there might be body language included as well. Asking for the bathroom is no different:

Shape: With one hand, make the handshape for the letter "T"

Gesture: Hold that arm out to your side, elbow bent so the knuckles of your hand are pointing up and your palm is facing the person you're talking to. Move the "T" slightly left-and-right, stopping briefly at the end of each sweep. Don't need more than a couple of inches to get the "T----T" point across. You can also just shake the "T", it's pretty much the same thing in this case.

Body Language: Look the person in the eye, with your eyebrows slightly raised to make it apparent that you're asking them a question.

What you're saying is "Toilet?!?".

Important: That gesture/bodylanguage combo is just about universally understood to mean "where is the bathroom". While using a "T" is technically correct, you can just as easily use "R" (Restroom) or alternate "W" and "C" (Water Closet). Essentially, if you sign ANY letter in that manner, the recipient will understand what you mean. And if your body language conveys a sense of immediate urgency, you don't even have to use any letter at all.
Old 10-11-14, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5M9dXWOKQ&t=3m7s
Old 10-11-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
<--- dated a deaf girl and an interpreter. Studied Manual Commuincation. Signs ALL the time, sometimes even to deaf people.

Easy.

Most signs involve a handshape and a position/gesture, and optionally there might be body language included as well. Asking for the bathroom is no different:

Gesture: Hold that arm out to your side, elbow bent so the knuckles of your hand are pointing up and your palm is facing the person you're talking to. Move the "T" slightly left-and-right, stopping briefly at the end of each sweep. Don't need more than a couple of inches to get the "T----T" point across. You can also just shake the "T", it's pretty much the same thing in this case.

Body Language: Look the person in the eye, with your eyebrows slightly raised to make it apparent that you're asking them a question.

Important: That gesture/bodylanguage combo is just about universally understood to mean "where is the bathroom". While using a "T" is technically correct, you can just as easily use "R" (Restroom) or alternate "W" and "C" (Water Closet). Essentially, if you sign ANY letter in that manner, the recipient will understand what you mean. And if your body language conveys a sense of immediate urgency, you don't even have to use any letter at all.
Actually not always so acceptable with the "t". In the district I taught at in Alaska, the school that housed the Deaf ed program also had a huge Russian population. The sign for toilet was too close to their FU gesture, so it was never to be used there (after a misunderstanding, of course). Can't remember what they were supposed to use--I took ASL in the evenings, but was so wiped out at the end of the day that I learned pretty much nil. My kids are taking over though (both of mine still in school chose ASL as their foreign language requirements).
Old 10-11-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson View Post
I did... You see, my receiving is full of paper and pen. I always offer paper & pen and they always don't want to write anything down.
Then let them shit their pants.
Old 10-11-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post

Easy.

That's really "toilet" sign language, but we used that sign language as "bathroom", not "restroom." To use "restroom" sign - we used "R" twice.

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Actually not always so acceptable with the "t". In the district I taught at in Alaska, the school that housed the Deaf ed program also had a huge Russian population. The sign for toilet was too close to their FU gesture, so it was never to be used there (after a misunderstanding, of course). Can't remember what they were supposed to use--I took ASL in the evenings, but was so wiped out at the end of the day that I learned pretty much nil. My kids are taking over though (both of mine still in school chose ASL as their foreign language requirements).
Yeah, but if you used "T" backward and it's dirty language. If I'm in Russia, I would probably use "WC" or restroom with "R".

The whole point of this thread is that hearing people willing to ashamed themselves by using peeing gesture rather than write note or use "wash hands" gesture. I found it hilarious that they willing to do that front of stranger.
Old 10-11-14, 07:41 PM

for some reason i remember making a "B" and running it down my face. maybe that was for beautiful. that would explain certain reactions i got.
Old 10-11-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know, but I do know how to tell them not to wax the carrot

Old 10-11-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
for some reason i remember making a "B" and running it down my face. maybe that was for beautiful. that would explain certain reactions i got.
I think that means you were requesting a brown shower.
Old 10-11-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 10-12-14, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd point at my crotch with my legs crossed with a desperate look on my face while mouthing "bathroom".
Old 10-12-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson View Post
That's really "toilet" sign language, but we used that sign language as "bathroom", not "restroom." To use "restroom" sign - we used "R" twice.

Yeah, but if you used "T" backward and it's dirty language. If I'm in Russia, I would probably use "WC" or restroom with "R".

The whole point of this thread is that hearing people willing to ashamed themselves by using peeing gesture rather than write note or use "wash hands" gesture. I found it hilarious that they willing to do that front of stranger.
I don't know sign language, but that "T" looks a lot like a "fig". Shakespeare mentions it. I think that it's used in Mediterranean countries instead of a middle finger.

So what do you mean by "backward T"?

(On topic: I lose my sense of shame in proportion as my bladder gets full.)
Old 10-12-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.