Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Ever meet someone famous and you didn't know?

Old 10-09-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ever meet someone famous and you didn't know?

So The wife and I went to a wedding last week - fairly small. Said hi to a married couple friend of our bride friend. Had a brief chat and moved on. Very nice people.

Today my friend who got married posted pics and referred to them as her celebrity friends. I was like huh? What?

So I did what anyone would do and googled. both are in 2 separate entertainment genres I don't follow. But I know some of you will know them. So I won't name names.

anyway, I had a chuckle about it. Now I'm wondering how many famous people I've met before and had no clue!
Old 10-09-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Ever meet someone famous and you didn't know?

Yes, but I won't name names.
Old 10-09-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few years back, I was volunteering some time at the Hero Initiative booth during a Wizard World convention. I spent 20 minutes talking to John Dolmayan, the Drummer for System of a Down without any idea of who he was. We chatted about comics and some covers the Hero Initiative had up for auction. After he left, another volunteer asked if I knew who I was talking to and I said no. After he told me, I was like "oh. ok." I'm not a SOAD fan at all but my wife is so I told her when I got back from the show. I got reamed for not getting his autograph.
Old 10-09-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
I know some of you will know them. So I won't name names.
Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Yes, but I won't name names.

Old 10-09-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a lady I know. If I didn't know her...she'd be the lady...I didn't know.
Old 10-09-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I meet a lot of people everyday and they just might be famous.
Old 10-09-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jim Treliving.
Old 10-10-14, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Jim Treliving.
Some old rich guy. Big deal.
Old 10-10-14, 12:25 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-10-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A few from when I was a kid.

-Lyle Waggoner and his wife...~20yr ago they were my volleyball partners while on vacation. We rocked it daily for a week or so.

-Mary Chapin Carpenter...also ~20yr ago. She is friends w. a close family friend. I visited the family friend (who had a place in Martha's Vineyard) and MCC was just chilling outside w. her guitar singing.

-I hung out w. "Uncle Floyd" ~20 yrs ago. IIRC I was at a BBQ and he was just some guy that I met. My dad told me afterwards who he was, though it didn't click until I saw him on tv again.

More recently...

-Blake Shelton and his manager. We drank beers at my 'regular' bar; we got pretty rocked that night. This was before he got super famous (on The Voice, etc)...but he was well known in the country music community.

-I've met/hung out with a ton of rappers, though I'm the whitest guy most ppl know, so 95% of them went right over my head. D12, 3-6 Mafia, Fat Joe (I thought he was Sir Mix A Lot at first), Boots Riley (awesome guy, super down to earth), Nelly (admittedly no stupid bandaid), etc.
Old 10-10-14, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know some of you will know them. So I won't name names.
Why can't you say their names? What are you protecting them from?
Old 10-10-14, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I've met many of you lowly people before.

Quite some time ago I worked for Suncoast. It was a Friday night and it was extremely slow. Two guys came in and started looking around. Within minutes the store had more people crammed into it than I had ever seen. I went to walk the floor cause it just felt weird. The two guys finally bought a bunch of VHS (that long ago!) and left and the whole store emptied out. Later on we found out the two guys were Method Man and Red Man (which still means nothing to me). They were in town for a concert.

Years later I was working for Hollywood Video and we donated a video library to the local children's hospital. The night we did that the St. Louis Cardinals pre-season caravan was in town. They came to visit the hospital while we were there and they helped us out. Unfortunately I quit watching baseball when they went on strike in 1994, so I have no clue who any of them were.
Old 10-10-14, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So The wife and I went to a wedding last week - fairly small. Said hi to a married couple friend of our bride friend. Had a brief chat and moved on. Very nice people.

Today my friend who got married posted pics and referred to them as her celebrity friends. I was like huh? What?
I would submit that if the wedding reception was not buzzing about the attendance of these two celebrities, then they are not famous.
Old 10-10-14, 02:20 AM

I nearly "plowed over" Tommy Chong one day. He said "Excuse me". I apologized and kept walking. A few hours later, I realized, "Hey that was....".
Old 10-10-14, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not that I know of, so ... maybe.
Old 10-10-14, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My cousin, an actress (who's actually somewhat well-known herself), was in New York shooting a movie in 1980 and I hung out with her for a day and we visited an antique store and she ran into a couple she knew and introduced the man in the couple as "Jonathan." Later on, she says, "When we were talking to Jonathan Demme..." and I stopped in my tracks. "That was Jonathan Demme?! Why didn't you tell me? I'm a big fan of his." My cousin tends to live in a bubble and to her, he's just "Jonathan." Actors are a strange lot.

Another time, nearly 30 years ago, I went to watch my friend take a karate class in Manhattan's East Village with Ron Van Clief (the Black Dragon). There was a really cute teenage girl taking the class who was either Hispanic or half-white/half-black. I checked her out, she checked me out. But her mother (who could have been white or Hispanic) was sitting next to me rather stern-faced, so I never approached the girl. Afterwards, my friend asks me, "So how did you like the chick from The Cosby Show?" That was Lisa Bonet and I didn't recognize her because I hadn't yet seen the show at that time.
Old 10-10-14, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A couple of years ago i was at the airport and i stopped to ask a rather nice looking lady what time it was. I took about 10 steps away before it occurred to me that it was Rosyln Sanchez. I turned around and asked for a photo with her....which she obliged and we chatted for a few minutes before i had to go catch my flight. She was quite the hottie.
Old 10-10-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jory View Post
Is she chopping broccoli?
Old 10-10-14, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I met this guy I didn't know but some of you may know. Not going to name names because that sort of thing REALLY matters. Not going to start a thread about it though.
Old 10-10-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A handful of sports people. I worked at an upper-scale suburban movie theater when I was a teenager. As my fat ass will confirm, I have zero interest in sports. But employees would get excited when a football player or whatever would buy a ticket.

I rented a condo from an NFL player.

I also stalk a whole slew of celebrities. So there's that.

She's no good for you, George. *cuts arm*
Old 10-10-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
"That was Jonathan Demme?!
Right. I was born in 83. As a young chap, I had a lot of interest in who's who behind the scenes in movies. Even in the late 90's, you didn't really know what a director or producer looked like. DVD's and the internet changed that.
Old 10-10-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My sister and me rented videos once in the mid-90s. At the check out line there were two guys standing in front of us. Turns out one of them was

Old 10-10-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I met John Wayne but I didn't know who he was.

I was 3-years old.
Old 10-10-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I told this story once before here, but it sort of fits this thread....

Me and my cousin were walking to a restaurant (John's Pizza) down the block on Bleeker St and 2 assholes started play fighting on the street and nearly fell into us. My cousin had his fist raised as he was ready to punch them if they went into us.

When we got to the restaurant and sat down, the 2 assholes and a beautiful woman sat down next to us. One of the guys stunk to high heaven so we moved to another table farther away. I kept looking over at the woman, and my cousin was just glaring at the guys because he was still upset about them almost falling into us. Eventually he recognized that the non stinky one was Leonardo DiCaprio.
Old 10-10-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I told this story once before here, but it sort of fits this thread....

Me and my cousin were walking to a restaurant (John's Pizza) down the block on Bleeker St and 2 assholes started play fighting on the street and nearly fell into us. My cousin had his fist raised as he was ready to punch them if they went into us.

When we got to the restaurant and sat down, the 2 assholes and a beautiful woman sat down next to us. One of the guys stunk to high heaven so we moved to another table farther away. I kept looking over at the woman, and my cousin was just glaring at the guys because he was still upset about them almost falling into us. Eventually he recognized that the non stinky one was Leonardo DiCaprio.
About when did this take place? I'm just wondering what crappy DiCaprio performances we could have been spared if your cousin had actually done something to him.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.