Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Thinking About Dropping My Medical Plan

Old 10-07-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thinking About Dropping My Medical Plan

I have a medical plan with Triple-S that costs me around $99 a month (it used to be $93 but then it went up a while ago) and, honestly, I don't really use it at all. I get that it helps pay bills if I have to go to the hospital and whatnot but it's eating $100 bucks out of my bank account every month and I'm not actually seeing any benefit because I simply don't need medical care all that often (if at all).

My mom constantly goes apeshit when I say I wanna ditch it but she offers no compelling argument other than "you need it" or "go get checked up often so it'll be worth it". To me that's bullshit. And it's income I could best spend towards my car and other bills.

What do the rest of you think?
Old 10-07-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Thinking About Dropping My Medical Plan

Obamacare's gonna getcha!
Old 10-07-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Keep the plan. The $99 / month is chickenfeed compared to what 99% of "middle-class" Americans have to pay in this age of Obamacare. I'm shocked your rate is so low. When my rate magically went from $140 to $400 month during last year's ACA takeover, I voluntarilly became uninsured. And I'm only in my late 30s and, in excellent health, with no pre-existing conditions or medical problems.

Fuck the tax (I'm not paying that, either). Fuck Obamacare. I'll go uninsured.
Old 10-07-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

After getting some medical bills that would have been $100,000+ without insurance, I'll never go without. A trip to the emergency room could end up bankrupting you.
Old 10-07-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I fell and ruptured my patella this past winter I sure was glad I had insurance. Had nothing to do with being healthy but was just an accident.
Old 10-07-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The day you cancel it is the day something will happen.

If it's a good plan then $99 a month is good. I'm not sure how healthcare is in Puerto Rico, as to how it differs in the states. Medical bills are so ridiculously expensive -- I'd keep it just for peace of mind.
Old 10-07-14, 04:06 PM

Some articles you might want to read through before making your decision... there are plenty of other/similar ones out there if you have a particular new source you trust. I wouldn't recommend doing it myself but it's your life/wallet

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...the-er/273599/

http://health.costhelper.com/emergency-room.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100840148

http://www.investopedia.com/slide-sh...upt/?article=1
Old 10-07-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A friend of mine recommended I keep it as well. Dammit. Wanted an extra $100/month in my wallet. Oh well...
Old 10-07-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you didn't have health insurance, all it would take is one accident to wipe you out financially.

If $99/month seems a bit high for you (I'm paying almost $400 and I rarely need medical care), see if there are lower cost options available to you. You might be able to save some money with a high deductible plan.
Old 10-07-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
After getting some medical bills that would have been $100,000+ without insurance, I'll never go without. A trip to the emergency room could end up bankrupting you.
Yep.

Had a three day hospital stay plus 10 days of at-home care a few years ago that would have set me back tens of thousands, at least.

You may be the healthiest dude alive, but accidents happen. I stepped on a drinking glass that I had forgotten I set on the floor and ended up nearly having my leg amputated due to infection.

Pay the $100+, dude.
Old 10-07-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
What do the rest of you think?
You don't drop your car insurance just because your car is in good shape. An accident could happen any time.

And just because you're healthy and feel fine right now is meaningless. You could get sick any time, or be hurt in an accident. A trip to the emergency room for even a minor injury will set you back thousands of dollars.

A few years ago a friend of mine was perfectly healthy one day, came down with the flu the next. That turned into pneumonia and a trip to the emergency room. The diagnosis was leukemia, which wiped out his immune system, leading to the pneumonia.

In the course of a year he racked up well over $250,000 in medical bills. He ended up passing away after a successful bone marrow transplant (the chemo before that damaged his heart). But because he had insurance he never had to worry about the bills, and he didn't leave his wife in bankruptcy.
Old 10-07-14, 04:24 PM
Banned

Young people think nothing will ever happen to them.

Accidents happen all the time, man. You can be healthy as a horse, but accidents still happen.

Two years ago, I didn't have insurance, and I got a very severe case of pneumonia. I am a healthy person. I don't get sick often. I have gone entire years without even getting a cold. That pneumonia just hit me from out of nowhere though. I was hospitalized for ten days. You know how much that cost me? Over $60,000 altogether.

Luckily, they wrote off 90% of it, but that certainly doesn't happen often. If they hadn't done that, I would have been in serious trouble because I don't have that kind of money.
Old 10-07-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like everyone else said, keep it. Also hearing how much other people have to pay makes me happy my insurance costs from my employers have never been that expensive.

I hardly ever went to the doctor before, but the last few years i've had a hernia and a few trips for sprained ankles and other ailments. Better safe then sorry.
Old 10-07-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pay $99 man. Thinking that you're going to have extra money by canceling it to go out or buy some more frivolous things isn't worth risking a potential health crisis.

I pay $239 per month and yes it's not cheap, but I feel better having it just in case.
Old 10-07-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you complaining about having insurance but never using it?

I have home, car, health and life insurance and I pray to never use them. I hope all that money I pay to insurance companies is for nothing.
Old 10-07-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As I said in post #8, I'm keeping the medical plan. I guess it's understandable that you guys keep insisting, however. People rarely take good advice around these parts.
Old 10-07-14, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by atari2600 View Post
Are you complaining about having insurance but never using it?

I have home, car, health and life insurance and I pray to never use them. I hope all that money I pay to insurance companies is for nothing.
Unless you find the secret to immortality, you're gonna have to use the life insurance eventually.
Old 10-07-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
eople rarely take good advice around these parts.
Actually, I'll give you that. You're the only person here that heeds any advice given to them.

Last edited by My Other Self; 10-07-14 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-07-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People in their 20s rarely need health care. So they tend to not buy insurance. One of the important parts of Obamacare is that it forces healthy young people to pay insurance premiums that will be spent on the elderly.
Old 10-07-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Unless you find the secret to immortality, you're gonna have to use the life insurance eventually.

Not if I outlive my policy.
Old 10-07-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should keep it, might come in handy some day.
Old 10-07-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Over the last 20 years, I've paid over half a million dollars for medical coverage (that averages to around $200 a month). I think it's helped pay for a couple hundred dollars in routine doctor visits and that's about it. I've still never even been on a single bit of medication my whole life. When I think about it like that and that money more or less wasted, it kinda' pisses me off. But then, I could get cancer tomorrow, or something, and I'd be glad I have it. Either way, the older you get, the more you'll need it.
Old 10-07-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
Actually, I'll give you that. You're the only person here that heeds any advice given to them.
There's probably a few DVDTalkers reading this thread and getting ready to cancel their health insurance now!
Old 10-07-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alan Smithee would probably cancel his insurance in a heartbeat to free up cash to buy more dvds and Blu Rays.
Old 10-07-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Over the last 20 years, I've paid over half a million dollars for medical coverage (that averages to around $200 a month).
Don't quite get this math.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.