Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Uh oh, high blood pressure

Old 10-06-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh oh, high blood pressure

So I picked up a home blood pressure monitor for my son's science project, and of course used it on myself. I am consistently getting systolic readings in the low 140s which is low hypertension (140 and above), and systolic readings in the upper 80s which is high on the pre-hypertension.

Looks like I need to stop by the doctor, haven't visited him for a couple of years.

There is an outside chance that the monitor is not calibrated well though it looks like it is in great shape (I picked it up off of eBay, it looks new and is normally a $70 Walgreens monitor).

I am in my mid 40s so if I am going to get high blood pressure this would be about the right time.
Old 10-06-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Uh oh, high blood pressure

I once used one of those (family member had one) and according to it I had high blood pressure - same readings every time - I am in above average shape. I didn't panic about it and had a yearly checkup a few months later (in my late 30's......and still am) and the doc said my blood pressure was perfect.

It seems like you're posting this out of concern - you need to go to a doctor for this type of stuff. Oh, and just because you're in your mid 40's....that has NOTHING to do with an increase in blood pressure.
Old 10-06-14, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Oh, and just because you're in your mid 40's....that has NOTHING to do with an increase in blood pressure.
Yep. Age has nothing to do with it. It's mostly because of unhealthy eating, not exercising, being overweight, etc.

I am 35, and I have had high blood pressure for years. It's because I am fat as hell. (I am currently working on getting that weight off.)

My blood pressure used to be really bad. Like 180/140 bad. I got headaches literally every day. The doctor said I was pretty much a walking time bomb, because I could have a stroke any time. Don't mess around with high blood pressure.

I am on bp meds now, and the headaches are gone, but my bp still isn't normal. It averages 140/90 now. I am still fat as hell though, so I am hoping it goes to normal once I get the weight off. I have lost 80 lbs, but I am still over 300 lbs so I have a lot more to lose.
Old 10-06-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need to exercise more and eat less fat, but I will definitely call the doctor tomorrow for an appointment.

My father came down with Type 2 diabetes when he was about my age, though he was fairly overweight (5'10", 230 pounds). Died at 52 from a heart attack related to the diabetes, so I was told. So yeah, I probably need to see the doctor.
Old 10-06-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
So I picked up a home blood pressure monitor for my son's science project, and of course used it on myself. I am consistently getting systolic readings in the low 140s which is low hypertension (140 and above), and systolic readings in the upper 80s which is high on the pre-hypertension.

Looks like I need to stop by the doctor, haven't visited him for a couple of years.

There is an outside chance that the monitor is not calibrated well though it looks like it is in great shape (I picked it up off of eBay, it looks new and is normally a $70 Walgreens monitor).

I am in my mid 40s so if I am going to get high blood pressure this would be about the right time.
Yea, see your Dr.

But a single reading is all but meaningless. If your really concerned you need to take your reading regularly and at the same time. Say ever Wednesday and Sunday when you wake up.

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
I once used one of those (family member had one) and according to it I had high blood pressure - same readings every time - I am in above average shape. I didn't panic about it and had a yearly checkup a few months later (in my late 30's......and still am) and the doc said my blood pressure was perfect.

It seems like you're posting this out of concern - you need to go to a doctor for this type of stuff. Oh, and just because you're in your mid 40's....that has NOTHING to do with an increase in blood pressure.

Agree to go to Dr, there is benefit in monitoring at home. Also, you can also go to places like CVS, Walgreens, etc. but again the key is consistency of places, equipment and time.

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Yep. Age has nothing to do with it. It's mostly because of unhealthy eating, not exercising, being overweight, etc.

I am 35, and I have had high blood pressure for years. It's because I am fat as hell. (I am currently working on getting that weight off.)

My blood pressure used to be really bad. Like 180/140 bad. I got headaches literally every day. The doctor said I was pretty much a walking time bomb, because I could have a stroke any time. Don't mess around with high blood pressure.

I am on bp meds now, and the headaches are gone, but my bp still isn't normal. It averages 140/90 now. I am still fat as hell though, so I am hoping it goes to normal once I get the weight off. I have lost 80 lbs, but I am still over 300 lbs so I have a lot more to lose.
Good job on working on it. But is not just about size. Exercise has a major impact. Arguably more than size. When my Dr forced me on BP meds I lost 50-60 lbs and BP was still high. I got serious with exercise and only losing another 10 my BP dropped like a rock.

It's the % of body fat that has more of an impact than the number on the scale. "Normal" weight couch potatoes who eat junk often have issues such as high BP. Yet very active heavier people do not.

A more accurate indication of health is waist size rather than pounds. I'm a good 15-20 lbs heavier than my dad now. Yet I have a good 6-8" less waist size. He is on BP and cholestoral meds. He never works out and eats a lot of junk. I work out 6 sometimes 7 days a week including running and weights. I've gotten off all med's.

Check out NWO (normal weight obesity).

And also articles that talk about "sitting is the new smoking".

IMO (backed by many studies) exercise is the miracle "drug".

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...-20046974?pg=1

Last edited by Sdallnct; 10-06-14 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I need to exercise more and eat less fat, but I will definitely call the doctor tomorrow for an appointment.

My father came down with Type 2 diabetes when he was about my age, though he was fairly overweight (5'10", 230 pounds). Died at 52 from a heart attack related to the diabetes, so I was told. So yeah, I probably need to see the doctor.
Absolutely get to a Dr.

But realize, what happened to your dad doesn't have to happen to you.

It's the old joke,

Dr to Patient; you need to lose weight
Patient; the problem doc is that obesity runs in my family
Dr to Patient; the problem is no one runs in your family

Even my dr told me I "could not" lose enough weight to get off BP meds since "it ran in my family". Yet my Dr was not my dads dr. He had no idea if my dad was fit or not. Smoked or not. Drank to much or not.

After getting much fitter and off the BP meds, I found a new Dr.

Now is it possible that you could be a world class athlete and still have high BP? Sure. Possible. But not really a way to know till you get more fit and see what happens. For many (most?) getting fit takes care of these issues. And even if it turned out to be in your DNA, you likely would need less meds and be healthier in other areas.
Old 10-07-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have high blood pressure for years and must take two meds for life (Lisinopril 20 mg and Triamterene 25 mg). I also suffer from Lymphedema on my right leg which have giving me pain for couple of years. Getting treatment and my doctor told me to lose weight. So far I have lost 30 pounds, my doctor was so impressed that he shook my hand and told me to keep at it.
Old 10-07-14, 04:03 AM

I have suffered with high blood pressure for over 10 years. My medications have changed every few years. The meds that I took back in the USA were not available in Singapore, so the doctor switched them. Now my wife stocks up, for me, when she visits her family back in Burma. Medicine is very cheap there.

I only have two issues with the meds:

1. Some are diuretics. Expect to make many trips to the go relieve yourself in your future.
2. When you change blood pressure medicine it may affect you sexually. The affect is short term, and returns to normal after a few weeks. It takes longer to get an erection, and it takes longer for the erection to go away after you are finished with it.

I just thought I would let you know about that.
Old 10-07-14, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I take Lisinopril and I've cut back on salty snacks and high-salt-content foods and my blood pressure is, I guess, normal now. I used to eat toasted salt bagels--not good for blood pressure!
Old 10-07-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Salt is a tricky issue. There is some dispute if salt in most people really does effect BP. However, one should try things to improve health if eating less salt does that for you, good for you.

I never really worried about salt. I cut calories, did healthy food swaps and then got serious with exercise.
Old 10-07-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started to develop HBP due to my life hitting the skids (divorce, career in the toilet and losing all my money)

Salt will not effect long term BP, it only affects it short term which is why my doctor says not to worry too much about the salt, but instead I should exercise, exercise, exercise!!
Old 10-07-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are in your Mid 40s, I think you are suppose to be visiting once every couple of years anyways (for prostate exams/cholestrol/blood pressure checks).

Good luck in your physical.
Old 10-07-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not much new to add. But I am a somewhat-related professional (I'm a Biology professor who teaches A&P and this is some of the exact stuff we cover). You should be seeing a GP doctor once a year, especially when you're over 40. High BP has a way of sneaking up on you. It's a warning sign that you could be developing atherosclerosis. You want to nip that in the bud early, when it can be fixed with medication and/or changes in diet and exercise. Instead of waiting until you have a heart attack, and if you survive need angioplasty or bypass surgery.

Another crucial reason to annually see your doctor is for cancer screening. It's ridiculous how many people needlessly die of cancer because they just can't be bothered to see their doctor once a year.
Old 10-07-14, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
prostate exams
Anal exams!

That and colonoscopies are what I dread most.
Old 10-07-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What they said, but just because the monitor looks new it may be broken, there was a reason it was on ebay, I used the one I have and the new one that I picked up for my mom and the readings where way off, there may be a problem with the hose or the cuff, when you go to the doctor take it with you and they can check if it is working right.
Old 10-08-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anal exams!

Colonoscopies are a cakewalk. It is the prep that sucks.
Old 10-08-14, 02:52 PM

I've had HBP for about five years now. I tried four meds before I found one with manageable side effects. Losarthan is the one I'm taking. One of them caused me to get really dizzy and almost pass out if I stood up too fast. Keep trying until you find one that works for you.
Old 10-08-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like you could go any day now. Take better care of yourself. Buy life insurance.
Old 10-08-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I assume you live a very sedentary lifestyle, which probably contributed to the weigh gain and high blood pressure.

My advice, spend less time locked up inside your house in front of a PC and try to get outside more. Take daily walks and change your diet drastically. It's a slow process, but the weight will come off if you can commit yourself to a drastic lifestyle change. No more eating out, No Fast Food. More greens and water. I don't expect that you will start going to a gym and hire a trainer, but slow baby steps will help. You're only 35, you shouldn't have to worry that you will drop dead from a stroke or die in your sleep any day now.
Old 10-08-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Doc said I had high blood pressure and the solution was exercise or meds, no discussion of diet at all. So I'm trying exercise. Watching DVDs on the elliptical worked for a while, but got to be kind of a pain so I'm trying to listen to podcasts now. I'm hopeful.
Old 10-08-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anal exams!

It's not pleasant
Old 10-08-14, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I assume you live a very sedentary lifestyle, which probably contributed to the weigh gain and high blood pressure.

My advice, spend less time locked up inside your house in front of a PC and try to get outside more. Take daily walks and change your diet drastically. It's a slow process, but the weight will come off if you can commit yourself to a drastic lifestyle change. No more eating out, No Fast Food. More greens and water. I don't expect that you will start going to a gym and hire a trainer, but slow baby steps will help. You're only 35, you shouldn't have to worry that you will drop dead from a stroke or die in your sleep any day now.
I have been obese for as long as I can possibly remember, ever since I was a little kid. I vividly remember being in elementary school and embarrassed of my "man-boobs" and not wanting to take my shirt off in gym class. It's bad enough being embarrassed of that as an adult, but as a little kid it was pure hell.

My family is all obese. Every single one. Not just my immediate family, but my extended family with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc included. Every single one of us is obese.

I remember my mother telling me stories about how she feed me Pepsi when I was a newborn baby barely a month old.

So I never had a chance as a kid. My parents never eat healthy nor taught me to eat healthy. Not that it is all my parents fault. I should have taught myself once I got older, but I never did.

Back in March 2013 I got a very severe case of pneumonia. It was so bad I almost died. I was in the hospital for ten days, and three of those in ICU. I know my obesity made it much worse than it should have been. That was a wakeup call for me, and I have since been trying to get healthier.

I am eating healthier now. No more processed junk. I eat mainly lean meat and veggies and a little fruit now. I limit myself to 1500 calories a day. I have a recumbent stationary bike I ride 30 minutes a day at a speed of about 18 mph. When I first started riding it, just 5 minutes at 12 mph completely wore me out. I have come a long way since then.
Old 10-08-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have been obese for as long as I can possibly remember, ever since I was a little kid. I vividly remember being in elementary school and embarrassed of my "man-boobs" and not wanting to take my shirt off in gym class. It's bad enough being embarrassed of that as an adult, but as a little kid it was pure hell.

My family is all obese. Every single one. Not just my immediate family, but my extended family with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc included. Every single one of us is obese.

I remember my mother telling me stories about how she feed me Pepsi when I was a newborn baby barely a month old.

So I never had a chance as a kid. My parents never eat healthy nor taught me to eat healthy. Not that it is all my parents fault. I should have taught myself once I got older, but I never did.

Back in March 2013 I got a very severe case of pneumonia. It was so bad I almost died. I was in the hospital for ten days, and three of those in ICU. I know my obesity made it much worse than it should have been. That was a wakeup call for me, and I have since been trying to get healthier.

I am eating healthier now. No more processed junk. I eat mainly lean meat and veggies and a little fruit now. I limit myself to 1500 calories a day. I have a recumbent stationary bike I ride 30 minutes a day at a speed of about 18 mph. When I first started riding it, just 5 minutes at 12 mph completely wore me out. I have come a long way since then.
Good job! Way to make some changes. Might I throw out one thing; don't think of it as "limiting" yourself. Don't think of it as "dieting". Don't think of it as "restricting". DO think of it as eating correctly. DO think of it as the correct portions.

Some have this idea they must diet. For the vast majority they need to stop the very bad things they have been doing. Easy example, when I was fat and in poor health, I regularly drank 3, 4 maybe 5 20oz full, real Cokes PER DAY. It wasn't a "diet" to cut those back and eventually eliminate them. I shouldn't have done them to begin with. It was a correction to being proper.

Keep it up! Be consistant (you don't have to be perfect). Build on your awesome successes.
Old 10-08-14, 07:56 PM
Suspended

I'm not ever having a colonoscopy. I'd rather eat a large drum of kale. Probably would be better for me.
Old 10-08-14, 08:56 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I actually got my blood pressure to improve by cutting down sodium. There is actually a ton of it in prepared food like frozen and canned foods. When I cut down processed foods with sodium, I always see an improvement. The American diet is a little insane. When you find common items at the grocery store with more than a thousand sodium in a serving.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.