Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Car Won't Start

Old 10-22-14, 01:13 AM

Re: Car Won't Start

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
Bump for an unrelated question, but still in regards to the car.

My passenger side headlight burnt out. I decided to switch both at the same time. Bought the right ones from O'Reilly's and after a pain in the ass of trying to figure out how to get at the bulbs (you need to remove the panels from the wheel wells and stick your hand in there), I swapped them out.

Now, the passenger side one works fine but the driver's side isn't coming on. Is it most likely a bad bulb? I won't be able to go back to the store to exchange it until Friday (providing they let me since I tossed the packaging).
Did you try the other two bulbs? You should have at least one left that works unless two were defective.
Old 10-22-14, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by seester View Post
Did you try the other two bulbs? You should have at least one left that works unless two were defective.
I foolishly tossed them before realizing one wasn't working. I don't think I personally did anything to the connection, but who knows.
Old 10-22-14, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you try and see if the working bulb works in the other side? This way you rule out a bad bulb and can look at the harness and see if anything happened there.
Old 10-22-14, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Did you try and see if the working bulb works in the other side? This way you rule out a bad bulb and can look at the harness and see if anything happened there.
No. That's a good idea though. I'll try that tomorrow night.
Old 10-22-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was able to stop by there tonight. It was the bulb. The guy at O'Reilly accused me of trying to swap my original burnt out bulb for another one. I couldn't understand the logic in that since I wasn't returning anything. What benefit could I possible have from wanting to swap out a bulb specific to my car for the exact same thing?

Aside from that, the guy was a total dick, but I'm glad I was able to get this done. I really thought I may have broke something when I did the swap.
Old 10-23-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
I was able to stop by there tonight. It was the bulb. The guy at O'Reilly accused me of trying to swap my original burnt out bulb for another one. I couldn't understand the logic in that since I wasn't returning anything. What benefit could I possible have from wanting to swap out a bulb specific to my car for the exact same thing?

Aside from that, the guy was a total dick, but I'm glad I was able to get this done. I really thought I may have broke something when I did the swap.
You returned a bad bulb and asked for a new one. People do this stuff all the time. They buy a bulb and install it in car, then they go back to the store with the bad bulb (the one out of the car) and claim the one they bought is bad and they get another new bulb.

Result: Pay for 1 bulb and get 2!