Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Oakley Glasses Help

Old 09-30-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oakley Glasses Help

A few months ago i bought the Oakley Crosslink Switch glasses with the removable lenses. Well yesterday one of my dogs snapped one of the arms from the frame. I have been trying to find replacement arms online with no luck so far. Anyone have any idea where i might be able to get them from? I have read that Oakley seems to be rather poor when it comes to replacement parts.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-30-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Oakley Glasses Help

Many, many years ago, I snapped the frame on my Oakley's. They replaced them for free, quick turnaround, too. Why are they now poor to work with?
Old 09-30-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

It's been years since I've bought Oakley's but the frames used to have a lifetime warranty. Not the lenses, just the frames. I actually live near the Oakley HQ and I walked in with glasses with a broken frame and they didn't just replace the broken part, they took out my lenses and put them on an entirely new frame.
Old 09-30-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

(800) 403-7449
Old 10-01-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
It's been years since I've bought Oakley's but the frames used to have a lifetime warranty. Not the lenses, just the frames. I actually live near the Oakley HQ and I walked in with glasses with a broken frame and they didn't just replace the broken part, they took out my lenses and put them on an entirely new frame.
I had done this, too, years ago when they were in El Toro. Walked in and they replaced the frame.
Old 10-01-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i called Oakley and they told me that they can provide replacement parts free of charge. As they are prescription glasses i would have to go to a licensed Oakley Opticians and ask them to put the request in. I bought the frames from the Oakley store and the lenses (which are not Oakley....the reason being that the Oakley store told me they could not provide the lenses for me. Its Puerto Rico....i am used to not getting things done the easy way) from an Opticians. I explained this to the girl on customer service at Oakley and she told me that i still need to go to an Oakley licensed Opticians to get them to request the part.

So i can envision a problem with this. I can see that the first question an opticians will be is "Did you buy the frames from here?" Which is No. They will then probably wonder why they should put in any request and will try sending me to the Oakley or simply saying they cannot help me. I guess i have the advice of Oakley to demonstrate how they are wrong, but pretty sure it will not be easy convincing them. They will try charging me for something in the end i am sure. Happy to pay them making the arm change....unless they try charging me $100 for the small job. I will follow up on Saturday.

Oh, and Oakley did say they had a backlog on the arms....so its not gonna be a quick fix.
Old 10-06-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well on Saturday i went to the Oakley store with a game plan. As Oakley had told me that due to the glasses being prescription that i could only request replacement arms via an opticians, i knew i would face problems.

So i walked into Oakley and spoke with the guy. I said to him that i had spoken to Oakley and that they had told me that i needed to take this issue up directly with the Oakley store (which they had not). The guy clearly wanted to help me as little as possible. He said they could not help me with replacement parts. I informed him that Oakley are more than happy to replace any broken parts free of charge and its within their warranty (which is exactly what the Oakley rep told me on the phone). Again he did not want to help, but said he would follow up with Oakley about it and get back to me.

It was at this point in informed him that i did exactly this last year with regards to replacement socks for my Oakley Muffler glasses and no one ever called me. I went back into the store a number of times asking about it, but no one knew anything about it. So i said i don't want to have my time wasted once again as these are new glasses. So i asked for his full name, the managers name and said i would contact Oakley again if i had not heard anything in follow up for this. He did not seem impressed by this at all, but obliged me the information.

After that i went to 4 other opticians (Including Lenscrafters who seem to have some of the worst service ever) asking if they could help me. I began each conversation with clarifying that they are Oakley Licensees (Oakley told me quite clearly that any Opticians who are licensed by Oakley are supposed to provide this service, whether i bought my glasses from them or not). Each place told me they cannot help and when i told them what Oakley told me they simply did not want to help at all.

A couple of hours later i get a call from the Manager at the Oakley store and he tells me i can go and they will gladly replace the frames free of charge in store. I go, talk with the guy who is helpful and pleasant and he says they are not supposed to do this, but he wants to help.

So in the end it got resolved, but not without some running around and dead ends. In the future when i buy Oakley i am going to ensure that the place i buy from holds the warranty and that i don't have this issue again.

And i never got the Socks for the Mufflers.