Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Good harness for small puppy?

Old 09-29-14, 03:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Good harness for small puppy?

I need help.

Our family got a new puppy a couple months ago and we have been putting harness after harness on her to no avail. she chews right through them. i know the solution is for my mom, who walks her 24/7, to take the harness off each and every time, but she thought if she kept it on her all the time it would save a step, especially on those miserable days.

so anyone with experience with little puppies, neck maybe 8" now, have a link to a harness (for the body, not the neck) that would fit securely around and is easy to get on and off?

thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Good harness for small puppy?

Your suggestion is best. Now not to sound like an animal rights shlub, but you really shouldn't keep that harness on them all the time. It can rub to raw skin. Especially under the arms.
One thing though is how is the dog chewing away at it? The way a harness goes on, it shouldn't be able to chew any part of it.

I use one on our 8 month old Pit and when it fits as it should there is no way to nibble at it. Bough it at the swap meet for like $10 and it's not a cheap piece of junk either.

Last edited by VHS?; 09-29-14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 06:56 PM
Banned

First thing you do is take a newspaper, roll it up, then smack your lazy mother in the head with it. Take the harness off after going outside. The dog will associate the harness with going out side much quicker that way. Tell your mother that the dog does not need to go potty every time it stands up.
Old 09-29-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just dont get crazy and smack your Mother over the head with the newspaper. You'll never be able to go back home if you ever need to.
Old 09-29-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I don't see why the harness has to be left on at all times; there's a reason why the dog is trying to get out of it. Does miserable days mean some kind of health condition?
Old 09-29-14, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Just dont get crazy and smack your Mother over the head with the newspaper. You'll never be able to go back home if you ever need to.
A little bag of treats and all would be forgiven.

(maybe I should have specified that the harness needs to be taken off the dog...)
Old 09-29-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Leash and a collar. Harnesses suck.
Old 09-29-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Leash just chokes dogs. Better control with harness as well.
Old 09-29-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I hate using the leash directly with the collar.
Old 09-30-14, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A harness is much better. I never leave the harness on. It is put on only for walks. So when the harness comes out he knows it's time to go outside and that's my cat. It applies to dogs too.
Old 09-30-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 09-30-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Halti is a good one. You cant leave it on the dog, but its easy to put on.
Old 09-30-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leash just chokes dogs. Better control with harness as well.
Completely incorrect. A harness was made for them to pull you. A leash is for people who keep their dogs under control during a walk.
Old 09-30-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tell your mom to take it off every time or get a prong collar and say she'll have to use that if she doesn't.

I tried to do the same with my puppy, she chewed through it and so I stopped leaving it on her - this was literally the first day I had my first puppy. It saves 20 seconds.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-30-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I need help.

Our family got a new puppy a couple months ago and we have been putting harness after harness on her to no avail. she chews right through them. i know the solution is for my mom, who walks her 24/7, to take the harness off each and every time, but she thought if she kept it on her all the time it would save a step, especially on those miserable days.

so anyone with experience with little puppies, neck maybe 8" now, have a link to a harness (for the body, not the neck) that would fit securely around and is easy to get on and off?

thanks in advance.
All I have to say is that your mum needs to be slapped. Keep it in all the fucking time? Jesus Titty Fuckin' Christ.
Old 09-30-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
All I have to say is that your mum needs to be slapped. Keep it in all the fucking time? Jesus Titty Fuckin' Christ.
No shit. That brought my piss to a boil.
Old 09-30-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Completely incorrect. A harness was made for them to pull you. A leash is for people who keep their dogs under control during a walk.
I guess it's personal preference. All I ever see when dogs are walked with collars, are dogs chocking and having trouble breathing. My dogs on the other hand, with harnesses, I have total control and are trained to walk along side me and not drag me. You can do the same with a collar but in most cases people just have dogs that 'go' but even with a harness, it's much easier to control and isn't hurting the dog.

For the most part, people dont have trained dogs and in that case, a collar is not a good walking tool because all that person is going to do is keep yanking on the leash, chocking the dog and making them want out of it and they start spinning around in circles and trying to get out of it.

A dog that wants to pull is going to pull with a collar or harness. One just has better control and is safer for the animal.
Old 09-30-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it's personal preference. All I ever see when dogs are walked with collars, are dogs chocking and having trouble breathing. My dogs on the other hand, with harnesses, I have total control and are trained to walk along side me and not drag me. You can do the same with a collar but in most cases people just have dogs that 'go' but even with a harness, it's much easier to control and isn't hurting the dog.

For the most part, people dont have trained dogs and in that case, a collar is not a good walking tool because all that person is going to do is keep yanking on the leash, chocking the dog and making them want out of it and they start spinning around in circles and trying to get out of it.

A dog that wants to pull is going to pull with a collar or harness. One just has better control and is safer for the animal.
Dogs pull, until they are trained not to pull. It annoys me to see people that let their dogs lead them on walks. For those people, who have zero desire to walk their dog and are content being dragged, I guess a harness is better so the dog isn't choking itself. However I disagree that a harness makes it easier to control a dog. I think the best control is still a dog with a leash.
Old 09-30-14, 03:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

yeah, the all the time harness is no more. gonna take it on and off each time. no reason to subject a puppy to that. i was always against it mind you, but i had little say since she walks her.
Old 09-30-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Dogs pull, until they are trained not to pull. It annoys me to see people that let their dogs lead them on walks. For those people, who have zero desire to walk their dog and are content being dragged, I guess a harness is better so the dog isn't choking itself. However I disagree that a harness makes it easier to control a dog. I think the best control is still a dog with a leash.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dogwalk.htm

The collar should be far up on the neck, which gives you more control over the dog. A body harness is not recommended for walking dogs. Harnesses were designed for pulling—weight pulling, sled pulling, etc. Harnesses go around the strongest point on the dog’s body, making it difficult to control the dog. Keeping the lead high up on the neck, the same way they do in dog shows, will give you more control with less effort. A great tool for keeping the collar high up on the neck is the Illusion Collar. There should be no tension in the lead. Do not allow the dog to pull and don't constantly pull on your dog. Relax.
Old 09-30-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still failing to see how a collar is better control with an untrained dog. Ever see a dog that doesn't want to be in a collar?
As far as I'm concerned, either is fine when the dog is trained. It comes down to personal preference at that point. But for someone who doesn't train their dog to walk, a harness has better control over what the dog does and does not subject itself to choking and getting all squirrely.

Understand I am also talking about harness with a leash. Not that small handle shit for service dogs.
Old 09-30-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have two dogs. A cocker spaniel and a beagle. I'm convinced that it's impossible to train some dogs. Cocker spaniel is an angel. I love the beagle. But it always gets in the trash, jumps on the table, barks, pulls the leash, etc.