Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm so frustrated with the United States Postal Service!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-19-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ordered a package well over a week ago from Best Buy not knowing that it was going to be shipped UPS Mail Innovations. If I would have know how that works I would have asked for it to be shipped differently. Anyways, they shipped the package via UPS that then gets transferred to the USPS to be delivered to the final destination. Now, the package was handed over from UPS to my local Postal Service on the 11th for final delivery. Now, despite being clearly marked with the correct address, as the Postal Service has a picture of it, it was sent to the wrong post office from the sorting center.

Now we are over a week out of it supposedly being in Tulsa as on the 16th it was marked as out for delivery. I called them on this and was told that it was actually being re-sent due to it having been delivered to the wrong station. The problem lies in that the 16th is the last day that is was scanned and that nobody seems to care where it is. The response I got today from Consumer Affairs, who supposedly oversees the Postal Service, was "let's give it another day". That seems to be what I have been doing since the 16th. Also, it is an item that Best Buy can't replace as they no longer have any of this item as I discussed this with them as soon as I saw a problem coming. I told the lady on the phone that this lackadaisical attitude about customers is one of the reasons that the postal service is one of the last services that people now use for their mail needs.
Old 09-19-14, 04:41 PM
Banned

Re: I'm so frustrated with the United States Postal Service!

I got nothing.

Sucks to be you?

I've been annoyed how UPS will hand my stuff to USPS. I've yet to get fucked over but still...I want UPS to handle it. Not USPS.
Old 09-19-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This happens a lot with stuff I order. Seems like the norm now. I get tracker numbers for UPS and then see that it gets handed off to USPS. Well that's fine as long as you can deliver it to me which in most cases, they do.
The problem I have with the USPS is how unorganized they are with my packages.
My mail comes from the post office down the street. But for some reason all my packages get sent to the post office in another city and are delivered by a mail person from that city. It would seem to me that is out of the way for them.
What sucks is if I am not home and they dont leave the package, I get a note saying I can pick it up at the post office ... the one in another city!
It makes no sense what so ever.
Old 09-19-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that UPS could have delivered it a week ago while saving me two hours of time on the phone with various people and a big headache really pisses me off. Best Buy even refunded me the money for someone else's error and they shouldn't have had to do that but they did.
Old 09-19-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
This happens a lot with stuff I order. Seems like the norm now. I get tracker numbers for UPS and then see that it gets handed off to USPS. Well that's fine as long as you can deliver it to me which in most cases, they do.
Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I ordered a package well over a week ago from Best Buy not knowing that it was going to be shipped UPS Mail Innovations. If I would have know how that works I would have asked for it to be shipped differently. Anyways, they shipped the package via UPS that then gets transferred to the USPS to be delivered to the final destination.
Both of you are identified as living in cities. Why isn't UPS delivering the packages to your door?

Anyways, the business model of UPS-to-USPS reminds me of a news story I saw a while back about people calling for the abolition or privatization of the post office.
The story pointed out that for the vast majority of the US, UPS and FedEx provide identical home delivery service as does the USPS, but that there are lots of places that private carriers do not go.
It's not financially feasible for UPS and FedEx to send trucks all over the US to rural areas, but the USPS is obligated to do so no matter the cost.
Of course this leads to that irreconcilable situation where the USPS does not have to give a damn about customer service because they have no competition, and there never will be.
Old 09-19-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny this thread should pop up today...
I had something coming with FedEx, tracking showed it was in my town and would be delivered by today. Just a few minutes ago I got an update and it ends up it was FedEx Smartpost. Now it says "Handed off to local USPS facility, allow 1-2 more days for delivery"

This happens when just earlier this week my local post office got one of my packages and marked it as "Out for Delivery" and didn't deliver it for 2 days after that.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 09-19-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-19-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get packages on a weekly basis from Amazon via UPS so it's not like they don't already come through my neighborhood. Handing it off to an incompetent organization like USPS makes it a crapshoot on whether you will get your package in a timely manner or at all.
Old 09-19-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe this thread's title should be changed to: Click Here to learn what FedEx Smartpost and UPS Mail Innovations are

Seriously, I had never heard of these ironic business euphemisms before
Old 09-19-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good ol' Media Mail. Took me 3 months to get a package delivered.
Old 09-19-14, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Ups/fedex handing stuff off to the post office is why I canceled my Prime membership. Ups and fedex both have big centers here in the area (both less than 10 miles from our house). Packages then gets handed to post office then they take it to outside of Detroit, then comes back into town. After ups/fedex hands off "IN TOWN" , it takes 3-5 days to recieve items after the trip into another state and back. The first time items are in town only takes 1-2 days to get here, but once that hand off happens, it's a long ass wait.
Old 09-19-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Both of you are identified as living in cities. Why isn't UPS delivering the packages to your door?
Normally I do get UPS delivery from them. It's just sometimes packages get passed on to USPS for no known reason. I mean I will watch the truck pass my house so it's not like they weren't here.
If you track orders, sometimes you can watch the most silly of delivery routes.
I have watched stuff go from seller, to the post office down the street, all the way to another post office 20 miles away and then delivered back to my area and then to my house. It's ridiculous.
What makes me mad is the delivery of packages from USPS from an office nowhere near me rather than the office down the street where I actually mail of packages so it's not like they dont handle pack delivery.
Old 09-19-14, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I live in Sand Springs, OK (howdy neighbor) and I have had the same problem as the OP with UPS Mail Innovations. They send it too the wrong processing station. I had a package show up at the local sorting facility and then be sent to Washington State. Then it went back to the original place it was shipped from and had to start all over again. I also have had several packages that were sent UPS Mail Innovations delivered to my street address but two towns over.
Old 09-19-14, 07:34 PM
Admin-Thanos

Once your package lands in the postal service black hole, it may never come out. You're screwed dude.
Old 09-19-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon does this regularly even on items shipped via PRIME. I get the alerts. UPS picked up package and then switches to UPS has handed package to USPS for delivery all the way up to your package is on USPS carrier vehicle and should be delivered today.
Old 09-19-14, 08:00 PM
Suspended

Got a 1-2 delay via UPS innovations email today. Hardly ever get these. Thanks for jinxing my life!
Old 09-19-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Good ol' Media Mail. Took me 3 months to get a package delivered.
NEVER EVER EVER use the USPS without tracking. Hell, I'd say 50% of my packages with tracking are still lost, delayed, or stolen. Without tracking ... they just don't care if it ever gets to you period. Lucky to get media mail inside of a month.

My father worked for the USPS for 35 years. It's a joke. The simple fact that they have a tracking system that they themselves will admit is undependable most of the time tells you what you need to know!
Old 09-19-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I, too, have noticed that UPS and Fedex will drop packages off at USPS postal offices for local delivery.

As for the quality of USPS service...Maybe the service is poor in certain locations, but overall, I think it's good. I used to sell stuff on eBay all the time and ship with USPS, and I never had a problem. And I've received every package that's been shipped to me via USPS. I've lived in three different states, by the way.
Old 09-19-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk God

glad it wasn't the skylander!
Old 09-19-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
If you track orders, sometimes you can watch the most silly of delivery routes.
I have watched stuff go from seller, to the post office down the street, all the way to another post office 20 miles away and then delivered back to my area and then to my house. It's ridiculous.
Since you are tracking how your packages are taking a delivery route that is delaying the arrivals, I wonder what the response would be if you were to alert the USPS to the situation with the Tracking #s.
I know we all (myself included) view the USPS as an inefficient government monopoly whose civil servant employees don't give a damn about anything, but somewhere there is some sort of Customer Service Accountability Dept that would (theoretically) be required to address your concerns, especially if you can provide them evidence and not just anecdotal complaints.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Amazon does this regularly even on items shipped via PRIME. I get the alerts. UPS picked up package and then switches to UPS has handed package to USPS for delivery all the way up to your package is on USPS carrier vehicle and should be delivered today.
Since two-day delivery is a guarantee from Amazon based on Prime status that you pay for as a customer, what does Amazon have to say about this UPS-to-USPS switch delaying their guaranteed service?
Old 09-19-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Once your package lands in the postal service black hole, it may never come out. You're screwed dude.
I just have to wait another day. I have already waited a damn week. Things just don't sort themselves out like that Consumer Affairs lady wants me to believe.
Old 09-19-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
glad it wasn't the skylander!
Me too! I really wish that I had not ordered this item and picked it up when I had the chance. I bet some asshole is sitting at home watching my Captain America steelbook that Best Buy can no longer replace. Not the biggest deal in the world but it is important to me. And I'm stuck with a Toy Story Scary Tales that I bought to get 10 bucks off the Captain America. Ugh!

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I know we all (myself included) view the USPS as an inefficient government monopoly whose civil servant employees don't give a damn about anything, but somewhere there is some sort of Customer Service Accountability Dept that would (theoretically) be required to address your concerns, especially if you can provide them evidence and not just anecdotal complaints.
I called this department today and was told to "just wait another day as things sort themselves out and to call back on Monday." That was damn near verbatim what I was told this afternoon.
Old 09-19-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First class mail and package service are still fairly reliable, mostly a quick way to send things. USPS Innovations and its ilk are terribly inefficient, I invariably add a week or two to the stated delivery date when I see those are being used. Virtually all the mail-order companies are using some variation of it now to save on shipping expenses.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 09-19-14 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-19-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called this department today and was told to "just wait another day as things sort themselves out and to call back on Monday." That was damn near verbatim what I was told this afternoon.
Any time you complain or inquire about one package, the response is going to be to be patient because it is likely the package will arrive by the time anyone could get around to doing anything.

What I'm saying is that since you can compile the Tracking #s, you can draw attention to your ongoing service and the illogical routing. Perhaps you could effect a change in the system, or at least get a satisfactory explanation of why the system is designed to consistently move your packages away from your neighborhood post office to another town.
Old 09-20-14, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

USPS

It's a little known fact that sometimes packages get lost and end up in the Bermuda Triangle.
Old 09-20-14, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Me too! I really wish that I had not ordered this item and picked it up when I had the chance. I bet some asshole is sitting at home watching my Captain America steelbook that Best Buy can no longer replace. Not the biggest deal in the world but it is important to me. And I'm stuck with a Toy Story Scary Tales that I bought to get 10 bucks off the Captain America. Ugh!
That fucking sucks!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.