Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

HMS Terror or Erebus found in Canada

Old 09-10-14, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HMS Terror or Erebus found in Canada

This was the subject of a recent book by Dan Simmons.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/612...it-said-it-was

Unless it’s written down, the reliability of any story is easily questioned. Facts can get distorted and events become increasingly fictional. But thanks to a discovery announced today by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the reliability of one specific Inuit tale is now indisputable. Because, as it turns out, Inuit lore accurately predicted the location of a shipwreck belonging to British Arctic explorer Sir John Franklin.

"WHITE MEN WHO WERE STARVING."

Franklin perished sometime between 1845 and 1850 along with the rest of his 128-person crew after his two ships got stuck in ice. He was trying to map the Northwest passage when the expedition went awry. And although the Inuit have been telling stories for over 150 years of "white men who were starving" in the late 1850s in the very area where the shipwreck was found, it wasn't until Saturday that the tale was confirmed.

"The beauty of where [the researchers] found it is it's proof positive of Inuit oral history," said CBC chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge during a live broadcast today. Mansbridge, a reporter who has covered the Franklin search for a number of years, was clearly impressed by the the tale’s accuracy. "The Inuit have said for generations that one of their hunters saw a ship in that part of the passage, abandoned and ended up wrecking… It's exactly where this guy said it was."

The researchers say that they're certain that the ship belongs to Franklin, reports the CBC. Unfortunately, they were unable to confirm exactly which of his ships they found. It could be the HMS Erebus or the HMS Terror, so the scientists will soon begin exploring its contents for clues about the vessel's identify. Regardless, Harper said, the discovery is a "historic event" for Canada. "For more than a century, [Franklin’s journey] has been a great Canadian story," he said. This is "a really important day in mapping together the history of our country."

"IT'S PROOF POSITIVE OF INUIT ORAL HISTORY."

A remotely-operated underwater vehicle is responsible for finding the shipwreck, which was located at the bottom of the Victoria Strait, near King William Island in Nunavut, a northern Canadian territory. But it's worth noting that the investigation itself was prompted by the discovery of iron and wooden objects at an abandoned Inuit campsite near the wreck.
Old 09-10-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: HMS Terror or Erebus found in Canada

So, for 150 years someone was saying "the ship is right here", but no one listened. Then they're surprised when they finally bother to look and actually find it. Genius.
Old 09-10-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've always been impressed with Inuit oral history. Also TurboTax and Quicken.
Old 09-10-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how does Inuit oral history compare with Inuit anal history?

Last edited by Deadman31; 09-10-14 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-10-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Seal blubber is a horrible lubricant. Let's just leave it at that.
Old 09-10-14, 02:56 PM

I started the Simmons book, but couldn't finish it. And I love Dan Simmons. but he's almost become the Tom Clancy of historical fiction, he does such painstaking research on the period and the historical context, and then proceeds to elaborate on the most trivial nuance, whether it adds to the story or not.
Old 09-10-14, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
That reminds me of the joke about the penguin with engine trouble.
Old 09-10-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Not sure why but I'm just going to nominate both of these for "Post of the Year"
Old 09-10-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Baffin's Bay where the whale fish blow
The fate of Franklin no man may know
The fate of Franklin no tongue can tell
Lord Franklin alone with his sailors do dwell
Old 09-11-14, 04:28 PM

Baffin's Bay.... Baffin's Bay! Oh, no! We've got to get out of here now! Damn! Hurry!"
Old 09-11-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pics or it didn't happen
Old 09-12-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
pics or it didn't happen
There was a blizzard at the time of the pic but here it is:

Icy, isn't it?
Old 09-12-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
This was the subject of a recent book by Dan Simmons.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/612...it-said-it-was

Unless it’s written down, the reliability of any story is easily questioned. Facts can get distorted and events become increasingly fictional. But thanks to a discovery announced today by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the reliability of one specific Inuit tale is now indisputable. Because, as it turns out, Inuit lore accurately predicted the location of a shipwreck belonging to British Arctic explorer Sir John Franklin.

"WHITE MEN WHO WERE STARVING."

Franklin perished sometime between 1845 and 1850 along with the rest of his 128-person crew after his two ships got stuck in ice. He was trying to map the Northwest passage when the expedition went awry. And although the Inuit have been telling stories for over 150 years of "white men who were starving" in the late 1850s in the very area where the shipwreck was found, it wasn't until Saturday that the tale was confirmed.

"The beauty of where [the researchers] found it is it's proof positive of Inuit oral history," said CBC chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge during a live broadcast today. Mansbridge, a reporter who has covered the Franklin search for a number of years, was clearly impressed by the the tale’s accuracy. "The Inuit have said for generations that one of their hunters saw a ship in that part of the passage, abandoned and ended up wrecking… It's exactly where this guy said it was."

The researchers say that they're certain that the ship belongs to Franklin, reports the CBC. Unfortunately, they were unable to confirm exactly which of his ships they found. It could be the HMS Erebus or the HMS Terror, so the scientists will soon begin exploring its contents for clues about the vessel's identify. Regardless, Harper said, the discovery is a "historic event" for Canada. "For more than a century, [Franklin’s journey] has been a great Canadian story," he said. This is "a really important day in mapping together the history of our country."

"IT'S PROOF POSITIVE OF INUIT ORAL HISTORY."

A remotely-operated underwater vehicle is responsible for finding the shipwreck, which was located at the bottom of the Victoria Strait, near King William Island in Nunavut, a northern Canadian territory. But it's worth noting that the investigation itself was prompted by the discovery of iron and wooden objects at an abandoned Inuit campsite near the wreck.
Selfish, lazy, heartless bastards...if they knew the white men were starving, why didn't they take some food over to them? Just think: if the Indians at Plymouth Rock had been as selfish as the Inuit, the Pilgrims would have starved and we never would have heard of them and we'd never have the four-day Thanksgiving weekend. (Of course, unlike the Wampanoag Indians, the Inuit got to keep their land or at least stay on it, so maybe they were smart.)
Old 09-12-14, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
I started the Simmons book, but couldn't finish it. And I love Dan Simmons. but he's almost become the Tom Clancy of historical fiction, he does such painstaking research on the period and the historical context, and then proceeds to elaborate on the most trivial nuance, whether it adds to the story or not.
Interesting. I read it early this year and found it to be one of the better books I've read in recent memory.

Anyway, this is a pretty cool discovery.
Old 09-12-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
I love Simmons and made it through the book but couldn't finish "Drood". There is such a thing as too detailed.