Nickdawgy Meets The Process Server!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Nickdawgy Meets The Process Server!

Old 09-11-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Nickdawgy Meets The Process Server!

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I'd really appreciate if the insults toward my wife would stop. It's bad enough people like Rob V, Shoveler, and van der graaf make every attempt to call me names, but leave my wife out of it you fucking cowards.

And I'm not looking to dodge this debt. I pay what I owe. At least I try to nowadays. I just didn't want to be strong armed by some fly by night junk debt buyer.
Show me one single post where I have attempted to call you any sort of name, let alone a "fucking coward".

If you pay what you owe, then pay this and stop seeking attention here by making an issue out of it. You owe more than the original debt, don't you get that. There is interest. There are penalties. And you, as the person who failed to pay the original debt, are in no position to sit there and say "I'll pay what I feel is fair." YOU incurred the original debt, your chance to pay what you feel is fair was back when the first payments were due.

Now, if you feel that criticism like that equates to "attempting to call you names", by a book on self esteem and read it into the wee hours of the night. While your wife is out carousing.
Old 09-11-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I was just really confused to see him state that he pays what he owes in a thread about betting served by a process server.
Old 09-11-14, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I was just really confused to see him state that he pays what he owes in a thread about betting served by a process server.
Anyhow, I paid most of my old debts, but there was a few credit cards that I never got around to. This one I defaulted owing only $500. I'm not gonna lie, I forgot about it. I can easily pay the $973 they're asking for now, but should I? This is scumbag collection agency called Absolute Resolutions regarding an old Capital One card from 4-5 years ago.

I'm all about paying what I owe (now that times are better, and I'm trying to improve my credit) so should I just call and pay what they ask? Should I settle? Do I have to go to court?

Oh and yes, this will end badly, I already know that post is coming.

I'm trying to be cool about fixing this, so we can try and limit the posts on how much of a deadbeat, pussy, pushover, etc you think I am?
You left out "attention whore". But as someone who is all about "paying what they owe", the fact that there are "a few cards" that you never got around to paying explains why you immediately recognize a process server when you see one.

Seriously, after not paying a $500 balance on a credit card for 4-5 years, how much do YOU think you owe? Do you not feel you should pay late fees like everyone else? What was the interest rate on this card? At 4 years, assuming 18% interest, you would owe over $700 even without any late fees. So don't sit there and claim that you pay what you owe while you're trying to find loopholes to get out of paying what you owe.
Old 09-11-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Yeah, you guys are harsh. nickdawgy threads are a great source of entertainment and bringing his wife into is a bit inappropriate.
If people keep hammering him, maybe, just maybe he'll think twice about posting another inane "whatever should I do" thread and just handle things on his own.
Considering how these threads have recently degenerated I think we've finally reached nickdawgy-fatigue, and it's time he gave it a rest for a while.
I don't see future threads turning out any different.
Old 09-11-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Show me one single post where I have attempted to call you any sort of name, let alone a "fucking coward".
Pretty sure he was calling you guys fucking cowards, not that you called him one.
Old 09-11-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might find this longish article, in a recent Sunday magazine section of the NY Times, an interesting read. Very entertaining and it offers serious insight into the "profession" of debt collecting.
Paper Boys
Old 09-11-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Pretty sure he was calling you guys fucking cowards, not that you called him one.
Pretty sure Shoveler was saying he hadn't called nickdawgy a name like the one nickdawgy had just called all of them.
Old 09-11-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
While I agree with this mentality (I'm the same way. If I get a speeding ticket, I pay it. If I make a late payment on something, I pay the interest.), I think this situation is different.

Your debt was with the CC company. Anything you owed, you owed to them. When THEY sold your debt to a collector, that was them saying, "Well, HE won't pay us, so how much will YOU pay us to take this off our hands?" In other words, the CC company's part in this is done. It's off their books. If they really wanted YOU to pay the full amount, they'd have their own debt collection department working on it. Them selling it off doesn't automatically mean you owe these other guys a penny, though. I bet they "bought" your debt for a fraction of the $500 you originally owed. And now they want $900-something?

I say fuck 'em. Unless they can provide a statement that proves exactly how much you owe and how they came to that number, they can't ask you for shit. Paying these debt collectors does nothing for you or the CC company.
That's the thing. I want to ignore it so bad, but all I keep hearing is if I do that, I'll lose and have a judgment against me. That would show up on my credit report, and who knows how much legal fees and BS they'd want to charge. I don't want some sheriff showing up at my door (Batman shirt or not) and asking for me to pay the money or have some of my personal property taken away.

Also, if I forgot about this account, there could be more (if there was it wouldn't be much. My highest account was like $1k, and I paid that off, so it'd be a lower account like $300, or $500). Would this open the floodgates for other debt buyers to sue knowing I'd crack and pay them the $$ when confronted with a summons?

I'll try and break down the summons I got. It basically says they are suing for $937 on behalf of Absolute Resolutions via debt they paid Capital One. The firm that is suing is Resurgence Legal Group. One page shows they purchased a bunch of debt from Capital One totaling $31 million and change (they blacked out how much they paid for it).

Another page has a copy of one of my statements from October 2010 showing I paid $20 on a $438 or so balance. Obviously just the minimum payment. I don't remember paying that, and I usually always paid more than the minimum when I paid the bills. I guess I'll have to attempt to go back four years and look at my bank statements (does the bank keep records that far back?) and see if it's legit.

There's several pages of mumbo jumbo about how this is a breach of contract, and I defaulted in September 2010, and how they are asking the court to waive $44 of their portion of the foiling fee, or whatnot. It was issued (has a stamp of the date) on August 29, 2014, and has the clerk and deputy of the court's stamps as well. The lawsuit is legit (I verified it on the Superior Court website) and the date of 2017 for future hearings is correct. At least correct as in I looked at it several times.

Should I just go find a consumer action attorney or whatever the lawyers are called that specialize in this area? I'm not opposed to try and work something out, but if I can get away with not paying these douchebags, and not cause any issues, I'll take it.
Old 09-11-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Pretty sure Shoveler was saying he hadn't called nickdawgy a name like the one nickdawgy had just called all of them.
Doesn't read like that at all to me, but either way the coward comment is in response to a paragraph of pretty much calling his wife a whore so playing the "i never called you any names!" thing is being a little silly. Don't get me wrong, nickdawgy doesn't care for me as much as anyone else here, but I don't blame the reaction in this case.
Old 09-11-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
^ Agreed. As honorable as your intentions now are, you'll be paying the wrong party: a vicicious shark with many tentacles-- ie the collection agency that purchased your original debt for mere pennies on the dollar, and is now trying to exploit both you and your CC company. Out of the principle of the thing, don't pay that collection agency a dime. You really should have paid the debt 4years ago to your CC company, but that's moot now.

I say ignore it, and please rest easy that some horrible collection agency is not getting any fatter...
You're right. I wish I had paid it. I was more foolish about money then (look at the old car threads, you guys know the story) and I just fucked up.

You, huh? Methinks the fodder doth take credit for the wit that blooms thusly from my brain's loins. Stay, simple dawg, stay. Know thy place at my heel and remain hence.

Spoiler:
Just fuckin' with ya. You're awesome.
I think I used to say DM was unfunny because all he did was drink. I mean every strip was about sex and drinks. I know that's Steve's MO, but I'm glad you ventured out and started to do other stuff, while still incorporating the old DM style.

I like the Nick D Awgy thing. Maybe that should be the characters real name. Also, have you ever thought of maybe combining the crudely drawn DM strips with the pre generated ones? Like when DM is really plastered (like always?) the crude comic is drawn, or when there's certain threads...I dunno.

In any case, I laugh at the comics regardless of if they're poking fun at me or not. That thing you did with my Mom really made me feel better at the time and I appreciated it.

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
If you can't take the heat perhaps you shouldn't post every single detail of your life - including your family and neighbors - on the internet.
No, I can take the heat. Just vary your responses. Try and be original. And leave my wife out of it.

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I had a judgement brought against me that I thought was handled by my cousin who is a lawyer. I look on my credit score a few years later and I see a judgement for $100,000 for beating up some guy at a place I never even heard of. The guy they sued had the same first and last name as me, but different middle names. They served the last known residence for me which was my parents' house and my parents were stupid enough to sign the document that I was this other guy.

It never really affected my credit score, and I've been too lazy to try to get it removed, so I just left it.
That's cool. I would have been afraid my wages would have been garnished or something. That's a lot of money.

If you pay what you owe, then pay this and stop seeking attention here by making an issue out of it. You owe more than the original debt, don't you get that. There is interest. There are penalties. And you, as the person who failed to pay the original debt, are in no position to sit there and say "I'll pay what I feel is fair." YOU incurred the original debt, your chance to pay what you feel is fair was back when the first payments were due.

Now, if you feel that criticism like that equates to "attempting to call you names", by a book on self esteem and read it into the wee hours of the night. While your wife is out carousing.
Dude, that was a total douche response. Not only do you deny that you've tried to provoke me, but you go and take a shot at my wife when I asked that people stop doing it. If you want to be a tool, go ahead. You're the one that has to live with yourself.

None of my threads are for attention. I ask for help, and for the most part I get it. While I am getting better at taking advice instead of (according to Dan) going the "oh you guys" route, I am still heeding what is said. I don't make this shit up, it has been happening to me.

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Which is why I said I try and pay what I owe now, as in the present. Go back and read it again.

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
If people keep hammering him, maybe, just maybe he'll think twice about posting another inane "whatever should I do" thread and just handle things on his own.
Considering how these threads have recently degenerated I think we've finally reached nickdawgy-fatigue, and it's time he gave it a rest for a while.
I don't see future threads turning out any different.
If I have a question, I'll post it here. I try and make fun of myself a bit in the posts because I know it's coming anyway, but for the most part, I do get the results I want.

We both know as long as I post, people will come in and start referencing the past threads. Some people are just more cruel and/or forward about it than others. I'm not the only one that gets shit when they post.

fumanstan gets it.

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto View Post
You might find this longish article, in a recent Sunday magazine section of the NY Times, an interesting read. Very entertaining and it offers serious insight into the "profession" of debt collecting.
Paper Boys
I'll check it out, thanks.
Old 09-11-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Doesn't read like that at all to me, but either way the coward comment is in response to a paragraph of pretty much calling his wife a whore so playing the "i never called you any names!" thing is being a little silly. Don't get me wrong, nickdawgy doesn't care for me as much as anyone else here, but I don't blame the reaction in this case.
I don't have a problem with you. Except you're a Dodgers fan, but hey, that's forgivable.

And yes, shoveler saying "show me where I said this or that" and then calling her a whore again at the end of his post defending himself (in so many words) is ridiculous. I was going to report him to some mods and such but I think some of the mods have kind of ripped me, too, so that won't really help
Old 09-11-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 717 Likes on 554 Posts

Should I just go find a consumer action attorney or whatever the lawyers are called that specialize in this area? I'm not opposed to try and work something out, but if I can get away with not paying these douchebags, and not cause any issues, I'll take it.
See, the problem is that they have a semblance of a paper trail on you. I understand if you want to verify the debt is yours, which it is, so saying that it might not be or extending it, doesn't really matter. Also, consider yourself lucky that it's under 1k for the entire thing. Pay the fucking debt and move on to the next debt you forgot to pay off. No wonder your credit is in shambles. How many more unpaid debts do you have?
Old 09-11-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
See, the problem is that they have a semblance of a paper trail on you. I understand if you want to verify the debt is yours, which it is, so saying that it might not be or extending it, doesn't really matter. Also, consider yourself lucky that it's under 1k for the entire thing. Pay the fucking debt and move on to the next debt you forgot to pay off. No wonder your credit is in shambles. How many more unpaid debts do you have?
Not that much anymore, I settled a lot of them in the past five or six years.

But what if the debt was like $3,000? Would it be more realistic to go and get a lawyer then? I'm just curious. I never had a card with anything close to a limit like that.
Old 09-11-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But what if the debt was like $3,000? Would it be more realistic to go and get a lawyer then? I'm just curious. I never had a card with anything close to a limit like that.
If you haven't been served with legal papers you can negotiate that amount down. Yeah, even 3000k or higher. The buck stops when you've been served. Then the company will renegotiate for 5-10%, if that.

The problem is that if you KNOW you owe the debt and just don't want to pay it - that will screw you over even more. Yes, you can ask them to prove the debt is yours but if you know that you owe it then they will most likely produce the paperwork. The only times, that I know of, when they cannot provide paperwork is when someone legitimately doesn't owe it. All it will do is buy you some time. If you do this then you must answer the lawsuit and file it with the court within 30 days of the process receipt.
Old 09-11-14, 07:24 PM

You are, indeed, correct.
Old 09-11-14, 07:34 PM

And yes, shoveler saying "show me where I said this or that" and then calling her a whore again at the end of his post defending himself (in so many words) is ridiculous. I was going to report him to some mods and such but I think some of the mods have kind of ripped me, too, so that won't really help
You misunderstand, my cuckolded friend. I was in no way defending myself, there is nothing to defend. YOU are the one who called out your wife's behavior (in another thread, yes, but in this same forum). YOU are the one that incurred the debt, claims they are willing to pay their debts, and yet keep this thread going with questions about how (or whether you should) pay the debt. Either you're you're willing to pay, or you're not.

These threads are getting tired. You don't want your wife to be a part of it, don't bring your wife into it. I'm certainly not the one who wrote about your wife going to bars until 3 in the morning, am I? Should I start attacking YOU for saying bad things about your wife? Am I mistakenly posting this shit in some forum where everyone loves each other and are kind and decent to each other? Sorry, I thought I was in the Other forum, and even a glorified babysitter like you have been around here long enough to know what to expect.

And calling someone a "fucking coward" is namecalling. The worst I'll say about you is that you have unrealistic expectations about the responses you will get to your posts here. Make of that what you will, Mr. Mom.
Old 09-11-14, 07:41 PM

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Knock the bullshit off, everyone. If you can't avoid addressing the poster and resorting to name calling, the thread will be closed. Perhaps some thought before starting, or posting in, these threads.
Old 09-11-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
If you haven't been served with legal papers you can negotiate that amount down. Yeah, even 3000k or higher. The buck stops when you've been served. Then the company will renegotiate for 5-10%, if that.

The problem is that if you KNOW you owe the debt and just don't want to pay it - that will screw you over even more. Yes, you can ask them to prove the debt is yours but if you know that you owe it then they will most likely produce the paperwork. The only times, that I know of, when they cannot provide paperwork is when someone legitimately doesn't owe it. All it will do is buy you some time. If you do this then you must answer the lawsuit and file it with the court within 30 days of the process receipt.
I don't have a problem answering it, but do I really to pay for it?

Apparently my options are (and correct me if I am wrong):

1. Answer the summons. Pay $350 or more filing fees. No telling what happens next.

2. Ignore the summons. Get a default judgment placed against me that shows up on my credit report, and possibly have wages garnished and/or assets seized, and/or have to pay attorney fees, court fees, etc, that may make the debt close to three times it was in the beginning.

3. Call the firm that filed the suit and tell them I want to negotiate. They offer to settle for 10% less which would save me about $94.

4. Pay the $937 and realize you probably made them a good $900 profit.
Old 09-11-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Knock the bullshit off, everyone. If you can't avoid addressing the poster and resorting to name calling, the thread will be closed. Perhaps some thought before starting, or posting in, these threads.
If I call his wife something, can we possibly stop him from creating new threads altogether?
Old 09-11-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You misunderstand, my cuckolded friend. I was in no way defending myself, there is nothing to defend. YOU are the one who called out your wife's behavior (in another thread, yes, but in this same forum). YOU are the one that incurred the debt, claims they are willing to pay their debts, and yet keep this thread going with questions about how (or whether you should) pay the debt. Either you're you're willing to pay, or you're not.

These threads are getting tired. You don't want your wife to be a part of it, don't bring your wife into it. I'm certainly not the one who wrote about your wife going to bars until 3 in the morning, am I? Should I start attacking YOU for saying bad things about your wife? Am I mistakenly posting this shit in some forum where everyone loves each other and are kind and decent to each other? Sorry, I thought I was in the Other forum, and even a glorified babysitter like you have been around here long enough to know what to expect.

And calling someone a "fucking coward" is namecalling. The worst I'll say about you is that you have unrealistic expectations about the responses you will get to your posts here. Make of that what you will, Mr. Mom.

You're totally clueless. I said my wife goes out til 3 in the morning with the houseguest friend in the other thread. I guess you read that as my wife goes out every night covered in makeup with a purse full of condoms with her threesome loving houseguest friend where they drink all night, engage in orgies, and come back plastered with numerous men in tow.

And yes, I called some people cowards. It was the first word I could think of that didn't rhyme with class role. You seem to claim to be so innocent of name calling yourself, but you are doing it anyway, along with provoking me.

1. My cuckolded friend
2. Mr. Mom
3. Glorified babysitter
4. Attention whore

Those are just off the top of my head.
Old 09-11-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
If I call his wife something, can we possibly stop him from creating new threads altogether?
It would probably just get this thread closed, and hopefully you suspended. But I know everyone loves my threads. Otherwise I'd be talking to myself.
Old 09-11-14, 08:57 PM
Admin

Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
Hey, you could always just not post in them and then they would go away.

My advice to folks here is stop trying to push people buttons. Those with buttons, stop letting other people push them. Just live and let live.
Old 09-11-14, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
My advice to folks here is stop trying to push people buttons. Those with buttons, stop letting other people push them. Just live and let live.
Understood.
Old 09-11-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 773 Likes on 534 Posts

Am I mistakenly posting this shit in some forum where everyone loves each other and are kind and decent to each other?
We don't all love each other?

It's time for some-a this, mo-fos!

Old 09-11-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have a problem answering it, but do I really to pay for it?

Apparently my options are (and correct me if I am wrong):

1. Answer the summons. Pay $350 or more filing fees. No telling what happens next.

2. Ignore the summons. Get a default judgment placed against me that shows up on my credit report, and possibly have wages garnished and/or assets seized, and/or have to pay attorney fees, court fees, etc, that may make the debt close to three times it was in the beginning.

3. Call the firm that filed the suit and tell them I want to negotiate. They offer to settle for 10% less which would save me about $94.

4. Pay the $937 and realize you probably made them a good $900 profit.

It's your debt, dude. You've already said it was.

At this point, paying them off is the best bet, because if you pay them off, get it in writing that the deal is done - you won't have to answer the lawsuit or appear in court. They dismiss the suit once full payment is received.

The short is YES to all of the above.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.