Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Olive Garden Never Ending Pasta Pass

Old 08-15-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Olive Garden Never Ending Pasta Pass

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Hmm, I tip when getting take-out. I figure that the food didn't get into the away containers and into the bag by itself.
That is a good point.
Old 08-15-19, 03:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I tried a couple times and missed out even clicking the second it went live. Probably for the best.
Old 08-15-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Have you ever been to a restaurant?
Most restaurant food doesn't have the profit margin a plate of pasta does. It's gotta be one of the highest. Especially in a higher end restaurant. And that's exactly why Olive Garden started this promotion. You think they'd do it with steak or fish?
Old 08-15-19, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Most restaurant food doesn't have the profit margin a plate of pasta does. It's gotta be one of the highest. Especially in a higher end restaurant. And that's exactly why Olive Garden started this promotion. You think they'd do it with steak or fish?
crispy shrimp is included as a topping option.
Old 08-15-19, 10:46 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

Slight side track. I worked for Olive Garden as a prep cook back in the 1990's for six months when I was 20 years old. My responsibilities were to prep all the food for the "main line" AKA: front chefs of the kitchen.

Duties included, deveining and butterflying shrimp for a then small appetizer shrimp dish that had a dollop of breaded garlic on top. I doubt they still serve this but I'd make about 40 to 50 of these small dishes every other day or daily according to projected sales estimates and put them in the gigantic walk-in refrigerator to be pulled as needed.

I had about 30 items I had to prep for either daily or every other day with the exception of lasagna, that bad boy was made on Monday's and Thursday's and hopefully got you through to the next week. Lasagna was made in these massive flat containers, imagine a hard plastic clothes storage container that would fit under your bed. Typically we made 10 of these containers, or as many as 15 if a holiday like Mother's/Father's Day was approaching. They were such a bitch to make because you'd have to make the pasta from scratch and then lay everything out like a giant assembly line. There is definitely a science to making large batch lasagna. But the most frustrating process was the "cool down" you'd have to ice these massive containers before you put them in the freezer or fridge depending on how many trays they would need for the next day. The store manager would always come through poking their thermometer into any dish that was in cool down mode to check and see that you weren't in a "danger zone" for potential harmful bacteria to grow.

I absolutely hated my job, it sucked, relegated to a windowless back kitchen that would get insanely hot. I'd go into the freezer to cool down and eat a piece of tiramisu, HA! The store was in a suburb of Los Angeles and I didn't speak Spanish and I was one of a few white guys that worked in the prep kitchen but we all had different shifts so we barely ever saw each other. So communication with the "latin ladies" in the kitchen was an adventure to say the least. Most of the non English speaking males were relegated to dish washers that also entailed stocking all the clean pots, pans, dishes, silverware and glasses. They had the crap job tho because their washing area was basically a hot sauna all day long.

The only aspect I enjoyed, and was also my responsibility, was to not only make, but eating endless amounts of breadsticks! Obviously eating in the kitchen was a big no-no but hey, rules are meant to be broken. And this is were the interaction with the waitresses came in, because they were always running out of breadsticks and would constantly run back to get restocked. Sure, the line cooks were the "money makers" but the breadsticks were the King of the castle and I held the key!

All that being said, in my brief six months their, that job kicked my ass and opened my eyes. I learned way too much about that business, honestly I wish I never knew. Like the basic dinner salad being stored in those giant industrial Rubbermaid grey trash cans on wheels. Not knocking it, it was completely sanitary, it was just strange to see waitresses scooping perfectly measured salad portions out of storage trash cans.

I haven't eaten at Olive Garden since I left way back when, and I never will.
Old 08-16-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ That was the interesting thing working dorm food service in college -- food made in mass quantities. Mashed potatoes were prepared in a 140 Qt. mixing bowl with casters on the kitchen floor. A quart of butter was added and the mixer went to work. Since the mixing bowl was too big for the dishwasher it was cleaned by hand.
Old 08-17-19, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I knew several dudes who worked at Ruby Tuesday in high school... back in the 80s, when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I remember them hating it because they were the lowest dudes on the totem pole, and were stuck making soups and sauces every day. Back then Ruby Tuesday made almost everything - even barbecue sauce - fresh on-site every day. I remember the Ruby Tuesday at Gwinnett Place Mall (a.k.a. Starcourt Mall) didn't just have "good food" it was almost glamorous, too: the hot girls from the Macy's and Rich's makeup counters would come in for drinks after work, as would the orange-haired alt-girls from the hipster hair salon in the mall.
Old 08-17-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually like RT, not sure why but of all the big chains, I feel like they get shit on more than they deserve. Chili's and Applebees brought it on themselves, Longhorn has been having a steady backslide, but RT is still pretty decent and well priced.

I started eating Olive Garden again back when they had the "Giant Chicken Parm", i only ever get takeout and it was a pretty solid deal -- enough food for 3 meals for less than $20.
Old 08-17-19, 08:02 PM

So I managed to snag one. First time. Again, Iíll be stuck at the Times Square OG.
Havenít broken the news to my wife yet. She is absolutely repulsed by OG and will not be pleased. So this will just be for lunch and occasional carbo-loading the night before a long bike ride.
One question: is it really soup OR salad? What if you want just soup and salad and no pasta?
Old 08-17-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So you want a never-ending pasta pass but without the pasta.

I fully support your wife's decision.
Old 08-17-19, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
So you want a never-ending pasta pass but without the pasta.
Maybe some of the days, yeah.
Old 08-18-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You'd have to ask the location. Or look at the terms and conditions. You might be stuck if its spelled out not having substitutions.
Old 08-18-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't been to Olive Garden in a decade. Not that it means much, as I've only been to a handful of other Italian restaurants in that time. My wife has Celiac disease, so finding a place that has decent options for her is limited. On top of that, we just simply don't go out to eat very often as it is.

I'd probably pass on any all-you-can-eat at any restaurant. My body doesn't metabolize food like it used to, and I can only imagine how much harder I'd have to work to burn off a regular supply of restaurant food.