Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Olive Garden Never Ending Pasta Pass

Old 09-08-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Olive Garden Never Ending Pasta Pass

I don't eat at Olive Garden that often. Maybe a few times per year, but I've had no problems with their food. Some of their pastas are pretty decent. Maybe it's a little too heavy and starchy, but that's about it. I love their Pasta Faggioli soup and their bread sticks.

Unless you have major digestive problems and get extremely gassy eating all those carbs, I don't see what to hate about them. To me they're average Italian food at worst.

As for this "deal" I wouldn't eat their often enough to make it worth it.
Old 09-08-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I stopped eating there in the 90's (had a nasty chicken parm and never came back), but I hear the salads are ok. Can you really screw up salads? I guess for $100, eating salads everyday would be a good deal.
Exactly! And some angel hair with marinara once or even twice a week isn't going to kill me. Just because its "all you can eat" doesn't mean I have to gorge myself with bowl after bowl of pasta. In fact, they will add veggies to pasta in lieu of meat, so I can get some broccoli and asparagus thrown in as well! My colon will come out of this experience fresh as a daisy!
Old 09-08-14, 06:23 PM

They're not the best but they're not worth all the hate they get either. This does seem like a good deal. If you like eating pasta and salads and wouldn't mind eating them at the very most every 2 or three days, this promotion seems like a steal to me. You would have the thing paid off in two weeks and then have five weeks of free meals from them. Seems like a good deal to me.
Old 09-08-14, 06:33 PM
Banned by request

The only way I could see eating at Olive Garden is if it's literally the only place that serves pasta in a 1,000 mile radius of your home. And even then it's a dicey proposition.
Old 09-08-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, only 1000 were offered, and it was gone within a minute of going live? Yeah, a quick bait-and-switch to ramp up the PR where your chance of getting one is actually nearly nil... A more realistic figure would have been to offer 10,000 at least!

That said, I wouldn't accept this offer if someone paid me $100. Olive Garden is indeed terrible: FF-quality for a premium price.
Old 09-08-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Is Olive Garden really that bad? Or is it just cool to hate on them? I haven't been there since I was a kid. I mostly know the jokes from Conan.

I think Red Lobster is an alright place. And that gets shit on a lot too.
It's cool to hate on them. Love the breadsticks, soup & salad.
Old 09-08-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
So, only 1000 were offered, and it was gone within a minute of going live? Yeah, a quick bait-and-switch to ramp up the PR where your chance of getting one is actually nearly nil... A more realistic figure would have been to offer 10,000 at least!

That said, I wouldn't accept this offer if someone paid me $100. Olive Garden is indeed terrible: FF-quality for a premium price.
They acknowledge this was a PR stunt.
Old 09-08-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You could take the $100 and not go.
Old 09-08-14, 07:33 PM
Admin-Thanos

Olive Garden was good back in the day, but there are just a lot more options in the chain restaurant business these days. I think they will get spun off by Darden just like Red Lobster.
Old 09-08-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'd pay someone $100 if I could guarantee that I would never have to eat at Olive Garden again.
I gotcha covered, Slop. I'm PM-ing you my Paypal ID. You can find my guarantee below.

Spoiler:
Remember never to eat at Olive Garden.
Old 09-08-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bet it's not valid at the Times Square location.
Old 09-08-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Bet it's not valid at the Times Square location.
Or Alaska or Hawaii.

Besides the food tasting cheap and frozen, Olive Garden is the absolute worst chain restaurant to me. I haven't been there in 7 years and I'd be content never going there again.

Bucca di Beppo is the best chain Italian restaurant since Macaroni Grill went to shit.
Old 09-08-14, 09:08 PM

OK, it was not gone within a minute of going live, they were hammered immediately, but my purchase didn't go through until about 35 minutes after going live.

And yeah, ya think maybe it was a PR stunt? it was intentionally offered so that a limited number of customers could get it, was never intended for the supply to meet the demand. There is no bait and switch involved, the "switch" is missing.

That said, pretty cool that you hate it so much. So much hate that you would turn down a $100 payment to accept a deal you would never have to use. That is impressive, my hateful friend.
Old 09-08-14, 10:45 PM

I guess my baneful attempt at lame humor failed to get through?? Of course I'd take the $100, sell the all-you-can-eat code / voucher on Ebay or wherever, and profit! And save many pounds off the tummy as well.
Old 09-08-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bucca di Beppo: Cheesy Bread Florentine.
Old 09-09-14, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I would rather pay $100 to spend a month in the bathroom with an Eddie Money who has just spent a month taking advantage of this deal than go to Olive Garden!
Old 09-09-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I do kinda' like Maggiano's. It's not bad for an Italian chain. It's similar to, but a bit better than Bucca di Beppo, kinda' pricey, but it is all you can eat and take home.
Old 09-09-14, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Olive Garden was rated mostly OK in the DVDTalk poll.

I think it's fine. Nothing special, but I'd rather eat there than at Sbarro (just to keep the bar high ). That said, I probably go once a year these days.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I don't eat at Olive Garden that often. Maybe a few times per year, but I've had no problems with their food. Some of their pastas are pretty decent. Maybe it's a little too heavy and starchy, but that's about it. I love their Pasta Faggioli soup and their bread sticks.
The pasta fagioli is quite good, almost like chili mac. I can eat two bowls of that and take most of my dinner home.

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
Bucca di Beppo is the best chain Italian restaurant since Macaroni Grill went to shit.
Man, I loved the old Macaroni Grill.
Old 09-09-14, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They screwed up eggplant parmigiana. That should be an actual crime.
Old 09-09-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Is Olive Garden really that bad?
It is a chain restaurant with 'Fake Italian Theme' instead of flair
You can make a better meal at home for less money

Or is it just cool to hate on them?
It is just cool to hate them and act like you have better taste (this is DVDtalk after all where everyone eats at Chef Ramsey's 5 star resturants every night and complains ) I only eat meals my personal chef on my yacht cooks for me.

I haven't been there since I was a kid.
It has gone way downhill in the last 10 years.

I think Red Lobster is an alright place. And that gets shit on a lot too.
If you like Red Lobster, you would like OG, similar food quality.

All that said, I eat at OG as I do like their soup and salad for lunch.

I could not eat there more than once a week no matter what I ordered, and I usually don't eat pasta that often, so this would be a bust for me.

When I was younger, I would have been all over this deal and cashed in - I use to work a mile away from an OG, I would have hit it for lunch everyday.
Old 09-09-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This sounds like something Todd Barry would have had in that episode of Louie where he talked about what he did recently.
Old 09-09-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Red Lobster and Olive Garden are owned by the same people, along with Longhorn Steakhouse. Living in MD, I can get much better seafood at a local restaurant than Red Lobster. Their food is frozen and they compensate by adding way too much butter. And I'm not really an overly picky eater, I have fast food once a week.
Old 09-09-14, 09:19 AM

You guys are being harsh.

I get the best sodas ever at olive garden.
Old 09-09-14, 09:26 AM

humm.. I'm surprised with all the disdain for Olive Garden.. Their food has been pretty decent to my taste buds.
Old 09-09-14, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Red Lobster and Olive Garden are owned by the same people, along with Longhorn Steakhouse. Living in MD, I can get much better seafood at a local restaurant than Red Lobster. Their food is frozen and they compensate by adding way too much butter. And I'm not really an overly picky eater, I have fast food once a week.
I'm surprised Longhorn is owned by the same people. Longhorn is a decent place.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.