Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Parking Ticket - Wrong License Plate Number

Old 09-03-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Parking Ticket - Wrong License Plate Number

Hi guys (and gals)... it's been quite a while since I've been here. My conundrum is this...

I recently moved to Pittsburgh and can't find the answer online. A week ago I got a parking ticket and when I went to pay it, nothing came up with the ticket number and date. It wasn't until I looked closely at the ticket and noticed that the officer input my license plate number wrong by one number. Nothing else is listed like my VIN or photos of my car. What should I do? I'm happy to pay the $25 despite my grudge that parking here is a pain (I parked on a street cleaning day). But can I get out of this without any issues?

I'll be calling the Pgh parking people in the morning to see what they say. But what do you all think? If they listed the wrong license plate number can I get out of this?
Old 09-03-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Re: Parking Ticket - Wrong License Plate Number

That's an interesting one. I think you are going about it the right way.. just tell them what happened and see what comes of it. Might cost you $25 for your honesty but at least now you won't have to worry about them following up on it. Then again I can't believe for $25 they would bother to investigate what mistake was made.. but why take the chance?

Last edited by General Zod; 09-03-14 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 08:32 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

That's how I'd handle it.. Why risk them searching it out in the future, if you just tossed the ticket, to find why a $25 ticket hasn't been paid then finding out the license was entered in wrong and finding the right license if they can match it.

Heck, you might even get a break when you do call for being honest. Never know.. at the very least, maybe you'll bank some good karma for your honesty for paying the $25 fine.
Old 09-03-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had this happen here in California and never paid it. Nothing happened, but it's not a risk I would usually take.
Old 09-03-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does the ticket have any other information filled out that identifies you? If not, I don't see how they'd link it to you. I doubt someone is going to sit there and try to figure out the correct plate number for $25.
Old 09-03-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you would be in the clear if you chose not to pay it, but then some poor slob with the incorrect plate number might get hit with an unjust $25 bill. Your call.
Old 09-03-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
I had this happen here in California and never paid it. Nothing happened, but it's not a risk I would usually take.
I did the same in Los Angeles a few years ago. I have no idea if someone else got the bill, but I never bothered to pay it and nothing ever happened.
Old 09-03-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd put in a phone call and make an effort to pay it. A small hassle now is better than a huge headache later.

If they start putting you on hold, transferring your around, etc., then I'd let them come to me eventually.
Old 09-04-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I say it's time to cause a shitstorm on social media. Hack into their phones and start posting their nude selfies.
Old 09-04-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
I think you would be in the clear if you chose not to pay it, but then some poor slob with the incorrect plate number might get hit with an unjust $25 bill. Your call.
Nope because even if that plate number existed the rest of the information on the ticket will be incorrect so the person to whom the mistaken plate would correspond to would also be off the hook.
What the OP can do to make sure none of this happens is to contest the ticket and have it dismissed on a technicality.

Last edited by inri222; 09-04-14 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-04-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You already went to pay it. It doesn't exist. I wouldn't even bother with the phone call but that's just me.
Old 09-04-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't even risk it over $25. Call them up and make sure you get some kind of receipt when you pay (or keep a copy of your cancelled check), in case they never straighten out their system and when the finally do, they try to charge you a second time.
Old 09-04-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Nope because even if that plate number existed the rest of the information on the ticket will be incorrect so the person to whom the mistaken plate would correspond to would also be off the hook.
Ah yes, this is true and it reminds me that this actually happened to me a few years back. I received a parking citation in the mail that had my vehicle's plate number but the make and model of the cited vehicle was completely different. I disputed the citation by mail and it was quickly dismissed without any hassle. Probably the only parking citation I will ever beat in my lifetime.

Last edited by ResIpsa; 09-05-14 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-05-14, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by goofee girl View Post
Hi guys (and gals)... it's been quite a while since I've been here. My conundrum is this...

I recently moved to Pittsburgh and can't find the answer online. A week ago I got a parking ticket and when I went to pay it, nothing came up with the ticket number and date. It wasn't until I looked closely at the ticket and noticed that the officer input my license plate number wrong by one number. Nothing else is listed like my VIN or photos of my car. What should I do? I'm happy to pay the $25 despite my grudge that parking here is a pain (I parked on a street cleaning day). But can I get out of this without any issues?

I'll be calling the Pgh parking people in the morning to see what they say. But what do you all think? If they listed the wrong license plate number can I get out of this?

1) If you're happy to pay it, why are you wasting everybody's time?

2) Yes, they messed up. It's on them. It will cost them more than $25 to straighten it out, so plead ignorant and refuse to pay, because if the law legit messed up, it's on them, not you. And if there is no other proof, you should go scot free. But that's on you. If you're willing to go through it, you'll get out of it.

But you seem to be an honest person, so I don't get why you even bothered to write this.
Old 09-05-14, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you do pay, you are admitting guilt.
Contest it & when you go to the town court just show that your license plate does not match what is on the ticket. They judge will throw it out. It will only cost you the time to go to the court. Worse case is you pay the fine there.
Old 09-05-14, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Contest it & when you go to the town court just show that your license plate does not match what is on the ticket. They judge will throw it out. It will only cost you the time to go to the court. Worse case is you pay the fine there.
She is guilty, so it's not like "admitting guilt" is an injustice. Wasting her time to go to court to protest a $25 buck ticket for something she actually did is absurd.

Pay the ticket. You have no idea what info was captured that wasn't printed on the ticket (like maybe the VIN). You can risk it and nothing may ever come of it, but you're taking a risk over $25.
Old 09-05-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How do you know it's yours? Maybe someone took it off their car and put it on yours. If the info on the ticket is not yours it is not your ticket.
Old 09-05-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Didn't she already admit guilt by posting here?
Old 09-05-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cops error in your favor. Do not pay $25.