Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What do you get from the dollar store?

Old 08-20-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What do you get from the dollar store?

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
You would be surprised at the clientele at the Dollar stores. Just because people shop at the dollar store, does not make them poor, it just makes them thrifty.
Perhaps it's thrifty people I'm trying to avoid!
Old 08-20-14, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
You would be surprised at the clientele at the Dollar stores. Just because people shop at the dollar store, does not make them poor, it just makes them thrifty.
I'm thrifty. When I need new shoes, I go to Ross, find a pair of Nikes for $20 and wear them for a year.

My mother is cheap. When she needs a new pair of shoes, she goes to Wal-Mart, finds a pair of no-name sneakers for $20 and then complains that they fall apart after two months.

Based upon my experiences at dollar stores, they're for cheap people, not the thrifty.
Old 08-20-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dollar General had some great DVD deals several years back, not sure if that's still the case. I picked up several SCTV season sets for $10 each and ended up flipping most of them on Amazon for $40-$50 each.

I have read that their $1 pregnancy tests are just as good as the ones Walgreens charges 10x for, but I personally have no need for them.
Old 08-20-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

$1 movie theater-sized candy, especially when they have Jolly Joe's (the grape Mike & Ikes) and $1 20 ounces of soda.
Old 08-20-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I'm thrifty. When I need new shoes, I go to Ross, find a pair of Nikes for $20 and wear them for a year.

My mother is cheap. When she needs a new pair of shoes, she goes to Wal-Mart, finds a pair of no-name sneakers for $20 and then complains that they fall apart after two months.

Based upon my experiences at dollar stores, they're for cheap people, not the thrifty.
I'm mainly talking about people that go for specific things, People buying party supplies for gift bags or balloons 1.00$ is a great price. Unless people like spending 3-4$ for a balloon or 3-4$ for a gift bag.
Old 08-20-14, 02:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Just like anywhere, you have to think things through. Obviously, like any store, most things aren't a real bargain and are similar value elsewhere when you factor in quantity and quality.

But in my frequent experience at Dollar Tree only, they're a good option for more things than you'd think.

But I hear you on the no-name sneakers. I used to get away with $20 sneakers since I wasn't active. But I'm jogging daily now, and in a dog crap emergency I bought no name sneakers at Walmart for $20 last month. They're already falling apart.
Old 08-20-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We were trying to get there once every two weeks to offset the weekly trip to the grocery store but our local Stop & Shop has a whole brand of items for a dollar so we go to the dollar store less now but we'll still make the trip every now and then. My wife actually prefers the dollar store Honey Buns to the brand at the A&P. Being out of work for 7 years we had to do something to keep the food costs down.

Some of the normal things we pick up are tissues, cans of soup (actually bigger than the A&P cans for less money), bread, honey buns, fruit bars, frozen waffles, frozen pancakes, apple sauce, texas toast, frozen mashed potatoes, etc...
Old 08-20-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nothing. The things that seem like a deal are crap quality (trash bags, cleaning supplies), while the good quality stuff is cheaper on a per-unit basis at the grocery store.
I've done the math on enough items to know which are good deals and which are not. Foil is better elsewhere because it will be stronger and a often the same overall price.

50oz of dish soap (it works) is hard to beat.

A lot of the food is very meh for overall cost so I don't mess with it.
Old 08-20-14, 03:46 PM

I buy dish soap there as well. Works just as well as name brand or Costco.
Old 08-20-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

people who shop for shoes at places like Walmart are just plain lazy... one can find much better value with a little work either online clearances or in store sales. I go through 3-4 pairs of running shoes per year, if I were to just buy the first thing I saw in terms of performance, Id pay hundreds on shoes... I probably averaged around 25-30$ per pair of jogging shoes Ive purchased in the last year, and brands I prefer like NB or Saucony

I shop frequently at our Dollar General because its the only thing close to us where I live (about a minute drive), we mainly go there for snacks and odds and ends we need around the house like milk
Old 08-20-14, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by lewisb73 View Post
people who shop for shoes at places like Walmart are just plain lazy...
Hey now! Yes, I am lazy; but it was a have-no-shoes-need-them-now sort of situation. I actually drove to Walmart in my socks.
Old 08-20-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
I've done the math on enough items to know which are good deals and which are not. Foil is better elsewhere because it will be stronger and a often the same overall price.

50oz of dish soap (it works) is hard to beat.

A lot of the food is very meh for overall cost so I don't mess with it.
The dish soap I've found at dollar stores has always been so weak that I end up using twice as much as if I'd bought a name brand.

Really, the best deals I find are at Aldi. Most of what they carry is their store brand, but it's generally as good in quality as name brand stuff and considerably cheaper. And the name brands they do carry are always sales priced. It's typically $2.99 for a twelve pack of Cokes, $1.99 for a jug of Hawaiian Punch, and $1.45 for a tall can of Pringles.
Old 08-20-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The dish soap I've found at dollar stores has always been so weak that I end up using twice as much as if I'd bought a name brand.

Really, the best deals I find are at Aldi. Most of what they carry is their store brand, but it's generally as good in quality as name brand stuff and considerably cheaper. And the name brands they do carry are always sales priced. It's typically $2.99 for a twelve pack of Cokes, $1.99 for a jug of Hawaiian Punch, and $1.45 for a tall can of Pringles.
Ran into that issue before and avoided it for some time. Then found one that works quite well, dollar tree items can be so hit and miss.
Old 08-20-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Headlice.
Stop trying on the hats.
Old 08-20-14, 07:06 PM

Man, are we ever cheaper than cheap then. We only buy shoes once they go on clearance at Walmart . The youngest is set thru next year with shoes costing under $3 each. Mostly Avia brand. Not the greatest brand but have had them last longer then Sketchers.
Old 08-20-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nobody mentioned mailing supplies (envelopes, bubble mailers etc.) Definitely a good deal there.
Old 08-20-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cheap soda.
Old 08-20-14, 10:47 PM

I go to Dollar Tree to stock up on Pear's soap, it's a clear bar soap that is excellent for sensitive skin and a lot cheaper and better than any of the ones from the pharmacy I used to buy. I can't find it anywhere else. While there I might pick up some Mallow Cups and some Key Lime Patties.
Old 08-20-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
Nobody mentioned mailing supplies (envelopes, bubble mailers etc.) Definitely a good deal there.
YES! I've gotten that there many times. It's two for a dollar and not some insane price at basically any store. I'm mailing a cheap item I don't want to pay two dollars for an envelope.
Old 08-21-14, 01:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

They're a good source for cheap electronics to hack out things like LEDs.

Also, there are generally 3 types of dollar store goods:
- 'Real store' quality stuff that was overstocked or just didn't sell as expected
- Decent dollar store brands (packaging looks fairly modern; item isn't hideous & seems serviceable)
- Junk dollar store brands (packaging looks like it hasn't been updated since 1982 - even if it's an iPod case; you can tell just by looking it's a dollar store item)

Originally Posted by Jory View Post
There's a Dollar Tree within walking distance of my apartment. I've gone there enough times that I've built up a mental list of what's good, what's okay, and what's terrible.
I'm in the same boat. The worst thing I bought was this little nylon/velcro case that straps to a belt loop. I thought it would be decent enough to hold camera batteries, change, things like that while at the theme park. Well, an hour into its first use at Busch Garden the damn thing just started coming apart on me. Maybe the water flume ride dissolved it... I don't know.
Old 08-21-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I buy rain ponchos there.
Old 08-21-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I buy stuff that should be $1 that other stores obviously jacked up in price. Cooking tools like spatulas and such that at most should be $1 and not $4.99. Scissors that similar should not be knocking at $10.

Shit like that.
Old 08-21-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picture frames are always a good buy. I have bought several over the years and they are still holding the pictures so cant be too cheap.
Old 08-21-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
I used to think so, until I found a box of 250 6x9 bubble mailers on Amazon for $32 shipped.
Old 08-21-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steaks

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.