DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I think I'm getting laid off

Congrats!
Old 07-31-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 473 Likes on 379 Posts

Very nice success story! Enjoy the feeling, for you've beaten the tough job market... Enjoy your new job.
Old 07-31-14, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news?! Fuck this thread.

Old 07-31-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

So basically you got a raise with a crazy emotional roller coaster thrown in for good measure. Congrats!
Old 08-02-14, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Plus basically 5 weeks of paid vacation that don't come out of his vacation balance. Sounds like a good deal to me.
I wouldn't think that he would be able to get and keep the severance if he's still remaining employed there.
Old 08-02-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 423 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I wouldn't think that he would be able to get and keep the severance if he's still remaining employed there.
He said that he would remain an active (paid) employee for 60 days, and THEN get a severance package. He's been off for less than 60 days, so not getting the severance package, but presumably still paid during his time off.
Old 08-05-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
He said that he would remain an active (paid) employee for 60 days, and THEN get a severance package. He's been off for less than 60 days, so not getting the severance package, but presumably still paid during his time off.
Bingo, been paid and retained all my benefits until I start the new gig but since I'll be starting the new job at the same company, will be forgoing the severance.
Old 08-05-14, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mods need to change the title.
Old 08-05-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,223 Posts

I got laid off 3 years ago from my staff position with FOX Sports that I had for over 12 years. It was probably the best thing that happened to me.

I decided to venture out into the freelance world of sports television and so far it's paid off. I regularly work for NFL Network, Pac-12 Network and have other jobs that pop in here and there. I make more than when I was staff (although it sucks paying for my own health insurance) and my schedule is very flexible. Meaning I work as much as I want or as little as I want. There are some slow times of course, but that is my responsibility to save and prepare for that. I also collect a little unemployment (Briefly) during that period to help out.

Overall, I'm happy with the way things have turned out. If you have a family, house and car payments, then obviously this is probably not for you and you will need something alot more stable. I'm lucky that I have alot of friends and made many professional connections in the industry I work in.
Old 08-06-14, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
Good news?! Fuck this thread.

Tell me about it...the only reason I come to the Otterville is to know that other people have it worse than I do.
Old 08-06-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 601 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I got laid off 3 years ago from my staff position with FOX Sports that I had for over 12 years. It was probably the best thing that happened to me.

I decided to venture out into the freelance world of sports television and so far it's paid off. I regularly work for NFL Network, Pac-12 Network and have other jobs that pop in here and there. I make more than when I was staff (although it sucks paying for my own health insurance) and my schedule is very flexible. Meaning I work as much as I want or as little as I want. There are some slow times of course, but that is my responsibility to save and prepare for that. I also collect a little unemployment (Briefly) during that period to help out.

Overall, I'm happy with the way things have turned out. If you have a family, house and car payments, then obviously this is probably not for you and you will need something alot more stable. I'm lucky that I have alot of friends and made many professional connections in the industry I work in.
Freelance is awesome if you can make it work. Funny too, my buddy's former step father worked for Fox Sports for a long time as well, (until an unfortunate incident that resulted in him breaking his neck, now he mostly lives on disability). Sounds like a solid gig for getting a ton of experience.
Old 08-06-14, 08:09 AM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

So you didn't get laid off. Or laid. This thread failed on every level. I was hoping to read that you were living in a dumpster and posting on here from a stolen flip phone, but noooo....

Congrats.